Parise Pronunciation

sheeps

Again, at some point you're sacrificing the actual pronunciation anyhow so it really is a matter of the person's opinion. My last name in Sicily would be pronounced LEE-cah-ree. In America I'm happy if people spell it right let alone pronounce it even remotely correctly. Hell, I don't even bother introducing myself with the Italian version because that just sounds like "LIH-cuh-ree" to most people. Point is, if you've got a foreign name, its really up to you how you want people to pronounce it and if you don't make a strong stand on it then they're gonna mangle it in all sorts of ways. Question is whether or not you care.

Yes, koufax, but again, no one is going to do it correctly. The closest to that you're probably going to get is pah-REE-zay The question is which Americanized version Zach prefers. In reality it really doesn't even matter which his father preferred because there are certainly times when kids decide to use different pronunciations than their parents.

I'd expect it to be pah-ree-zay but it seems to always be puh-reezee, for whatever reason. Everyone might be wrong. :P

Doc is better than most announcers and he may edit the NHL Pronounciation Guide, but that guide has been published online before and it's awful. He usually says French names incorrectly, even famous ones like Brodeur - should be mar-tain(g) bruh-dur not mar-tan bro-doer - and Claude Lemieux - klOd [long O] luh-myuh not klawd le-myoo.

I'd expect it to be pah-ree-zay but it seems to always be puh-reezee, for whatever reason. Everyone might be wrong. :P

Doc is better than most announcers and he may edit the NHL Pronounciation Guide, but that guide has been published online before and it's awful. He usually says French names incorrectly, even famous ones like Brodeur - should be mar-tain(g) bruh-dur not mar-tan bro-doer - and Claude Lemieux - klOd [long O] luh-myuh not klawd le-myoo.

Most English-language pronouncers won't pronounce a French name correctly. But they'll get it close - they'll get the pronunciation but not the accent.

Most English Canadian announcers (with some glaring exceptions!) manage to say Brodeur, Lemieux, and other French names correctly without a French accent. It's not hard for anyone to say luh-myuh in English. If you can say nets-cazh you can say luh-myuh. We're not talking about rolling "R"s. It's just a matter of knowledge and professionalism IMO.

I always found it funny that most of Claude Lemieux's teammates would say "Claude" correctly and all of the announcers would call him "Clawd". O_o

He probably didn't care either way.