2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

I don't see why that is that far fetched. Marty has come off as a total baby once he was clearly the back-up. Given the fact that he has relatively little, if any trade value, Lou probably doesn't want to move a guy who has been the face of the franchise for so long. Lou's history suggests he wouldn't be comfortable with a young guy like Kinkaid as the backup so it might even cost the Devils more for a new backup than they get for Brodeur. MB41 seemed like he pressed Lou pretty hard for the 2 year deal, hiring an agent and all, so Lou might not be jumping through hoops to let him out of it.

Oh it's not a far fetched bit of info, it just sounds sketchy.  I don't want to get anyone in trouble so I had to keep it annoyingly vague, and I know I personally can't stand it when someone comes here and says "Oh I know someone who knows someone who said ...".

But yeah, good points about Lou's potential reasoning there.

So, I have an interesting perspective to report here - fair warning, this is going to sound like one of those bullsh!t fake sources, but I've been around here for a while and you guys know I'm not one to make sh!t up. I can promise you this is direct from a member of the extended Brodeur family. Take it for what it's worth:

Apparently, Marty wants to be traded, but Lou doesn't want to move him. As in, Marty's already waived and asked out, and Lou's the one holding back from pulling the trigger. Why, I don't know.

Again, I know this is going to piss some of you off, so you can just ignore it if you'd like to. But I'm not one to make stuff up for the attention.

I think that sounds totally plausible, given Marty's quotes today. He kept saying 'if I'm traded' and how 'its out of my hands', even though we know it really isn't. Its very believable to think Marty wants out and Lou is the one holding back. And can anyone blame Lou? This has to be the hardest transaction he's ever had to make in his career.

Its also hard to explain to the fanbase that you just traded Martin Brodeur, the common bond shard by every generation of Devils fan, the winningest goalie who's ever lived, the greatest Devil of all-time, and the face of the franchise for two decades for a third round pick.

So, I have an interesting perspective to report here - fair warning, this is going to sound like one of those bullsh!t fake sources, but I've been around here for a while and you guys know I'm not one to make sh!t up.  I can promise you this is direct from a member of the extended Brodeur family.  Take it for what it's worth:

Apparently, Marty wants to be traded, but Lou doesn't want to move him.  As in, Marty's already waived and asked out, and Lou's the one holding back from pulling the trigger.  Why, I don't know.

Again, I know this is going to piss some of you off, so you can just ignore it if you'd like to.  But I'm not one to make stuff up for the attention.

Is that from his nephews "Devils" facebook fan group? The group is titled "REAL NJ DEVILS FANS" yet 90% of the talk is about how Brodeur should play because he has more wins this year. It makes my head hurt.

Is that from his nephews "Devils" facebook fan group? The group is titled "REAL NJ DEVILS FANS" yet 90% of the talk is about how Brodeur should play because he has more wins this year. It makes my head hurt.

Noo no, I'm not part of that cancerous group. The discussions there during the Urbom "fiasco" quickly showed me it wasn't worth looking there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I'm not shocked by that rumour. It is clear Brodeur wants a deal. He has been saying these BS quotes since 8 games into the year when Cory was originally given the starting job. "Maybe I can help the team by being moved"..and so on.

Brodeur doesn't sound sentimental at all with these rumours. He's very calm and in control, and it seems to me he is 100% the driving force. Lou has always had 0% percent interest in ever trading Brodeur, and Marty makes it seem like he has no clue what will happen. The only thing he doesn't know is if Lou will actually pull the trigger on his request. He's not saying that and really boxing Lou in.

It's a shame that Brodeur can't except he isn't a starter anymore. He has no interest in being a backup..that's fine. But you want to be a soon-to-be 42-year-old goalie who gets to play a lot...when all the stats say you have been as bad as any NHL goalie over the last 3 seasons. Just can't happen. Having said that...it's for the best that he goes now with that attitude. The only issue is you have a GM that doesn't want to make it happen.

I'm not shocked by that rumour. It is clear Brodeur wants a deal. He has been saying these BS quotes since 8 games into the year when Cory was originally given the starting job. "Maybe I can help the team by being moved"..and so on.

Brodeur doesn't sound sentimental at all with these rumours. He's very calm and in control, and it seems to me he is 100% the driving force. Lou has always had 0% percent interest in ever trading Brodeur, and Marty makes it seem like he has no clue what will happen. The only thing he doesn't know is if Lou will actually pull the trigger on his request. He's not saying that and really boxing Lou in.

It's a shame that Brodeur can't except he isn't a starter anymore. He has no interest in being a backup..that's fine. But you want to be a soon-to-be 42-year-old goalie who gets to play a lot...when all the stats say you have been as bad as any NHL goalie over the last 3 seasons. Just can't happen. Having said that...it's for the best that he goes now with that attitude. The only issue is you have a GM that doesn't want to make it happen.

Most people I've known and met would probably act in a similar manner if a similar thing happened to them.  It's simple human nature.  While I'm not in Marty's head (quite frankly neither are you), I have to believe he knows Schneider is better than him. He's not delusional.  The guy has been doing this for 30+ years now.  It's not easy to just simply let go of something that's been a part of you for that long.  Also, just because he wants to keep doing it doesn't mean he's in denial about his abilities. Everybody has their egos.  It doesn't mean people don't realize their own flaws.

I don't mind Marty starting (that much), but I don't know if PDB will go back to Schneider no matter what for the next game. Say Marty looks alright and the team wins 3-2, limiting Detroit to 18 shots or whatever...you have to go back to Schneider.

This just invites controversy.

I think you are overdoing the Brodeur hate. On one hand you don't want Marty to say anything to the media about a possible trade and then on the other, you don't like that he is acting as if "he has no clue what will happen." 

Next, as far as 'boxing Lou in' goes, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I'm sure Lou doesn't feel like his hand is forced, he will make the decision that is best for the team. 

Most of all, I don't see what your big gripe is with Marty's 'attitude'. He has made it pretty clear he may not be able to go to a team that gives him a starting job - just the chance to play a bit more. He has also made it clear that he knows the Devils are not going to get much back for him.

Marty still wants to play - and believes he can. Why is that such a crime? Wouldn't it be way worse if he stuck around and demanded playing time from Pete publicly and caused a whole fiasco? But instead, Marty accepts that Cory starting is best for the team and is willing to go somewhere else to play a bit more. It's Marty's life and career and if he wants to keep playing and is still willing to be accommodating, I see no harm in anything he is doing. He could very easily come out and make this ugly, perhaps go to the media and say "After everything I've done for this team, and being a hall of fame goalie," etc... Instead, even though he has more wins than any goalie ever, he just kind of acts like it's completely normal business that he could be moved.

If Marty wants to play and can help improve the Devils by fetching even a 2nd round pick I don't see a problem. It isn't a storybook ending but it's not a bitter ugly ending either. He's earned it.

"Even a second round pick"

A 2nd would be a heist and it'd be because of his name only.

"Even a second round pick"

A 2nd would be a heist and it'd be because of his name only.

I think we could work a 2nd in if it's conditional, say if Minny (or whichever team) makes the second round or something.

Edited by Neb00rs

Its also hard to explain to the fanbase that you just traded Martin Brodeur, the common bond shard by every generation of Devils fan, the winningest goalie who's ever lived, the greatest Devil of all-time, and the face of the franchise for two decades for a third round pick.

In fairness, I think most Devils fans have made their peace with Marty getting dealt, especially if it's Marty himself who's pushing for it...I don't blame Lou for any of this, and I don't think too many Devils fans will either.  He wasn't going to just let Marty go after 2012, so he had to bring him back.  The lockout was looming and no one knew if there was going to be a 2012-13 season, so Lou had to go an extra year with Marty, especially when other teams apparently got involved.  Lou made a no-brainer deal for Schneider when it was obvious that bringing back Marty as the incumbent #1 would probably be a dangerous proposition, and clearly at some point, Lou had to start thinking about life after Marty, especially with the farm not having any real solid goaltending prospects.  That's another subject in itself...we should all count our luckies that Marty stayed here for so long and played as well as he did for so much of that time, because the Devils really did a terrible job at developing goalies from within, despite being willing to spend some upper-round picks on them during Marty's tenure.     

The only way this was going to be a completely smooth transition/ending was if Marty wanted to accept that he was going to lose the starting job to Cory as this year went on (barring him actually outplaying Cory, which we knew wasn't going to happen over the full course of the season), then was willing to play less and less, then would retire at season's end.  But in the end it's obvious the guy wants to play more than he currently does, and probably wants to play next season too.  He still thinks he has something left.  I'll be the first to admit that I think he's wrong on that count (he's not only inconsistent at best now, his lows are about as bad as it gets for an NHL goalies in 2014 who plays behind a good defensive team), and it would be so much better to see him finish out this season and call it quits as a Devil, and who knows, maybe that's what ultimately happens...but only one guy can make that call.  I can't pretend to know exactly what goes on in Marty's head, but this is probably an emotional and difficult time for him, and his head is probably all over the place.  I think he's trying to say the right things as he's questioned by the media, but the right things are probably changing day-to-day with him, and it sounds like he's trying to cover all bases with his quotes, which is pretty much impossible...there's nothing he can say that will be universally appealing. 

What sucks is some fans are turning on Marty and making fairly innocuous quotes sound a lot worse than they really are.  Hopefully those that are ticked at him for whatever the reasons will move past that quickly.   

bobby orr was moved, if marty wants a shot somewhere why hold him back? it wont change a thing imo. he'll be retired as a Devil great soon after.

and marty has been fine with the demotion, he hasnt really whinned much. he's been realistic.  getting old sucks lol

I'm not sure Halak would cost more to acquire. There are a lot of goalies available. If the Wild want Halak and are using Marty as leverage to lower the price on Halak from BUffalo, what's Buffalo going to do? They can get something for him or nothing and let him walk UFA. What's the point in that?

Also, I don't see us trading Marty unless it's doing him a favor. We'd still need a backup goalie. I know Marty has been mediocre at best most nights, but is KK an upgrade at that position. We still need a backup who can play a little bit. Where is that going to come from?

Is there a situation where we do Marty a favor by getting him more playing time/shot at a Cup with Minnesota, Minnesota sends somethign to Buffalo and we get Halak? I'd consider Halak long-term as a back up (although he'd get more money in KHL and playing time).