GDT. Rangers vs Devils

pumpkin cutter

Schneider doesn't let up both of those goals most likely. Marty slightly made up for some of it with the pass sure, but he's the reason we almost lost the game. Sure there were breakdowns but the goalies got to make tough saves, the Richards goal maybe I can forgive. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of goal tending to know if that was a shot that could be stopped, but I've seen goalies make saves like that. So let's give him a pass there but the rebound on the 2nd goal was a joke.

Yes, it was a bad rebound, but Schneider's rebound control is one of his biggest issues. I don't think there's any need to compare the goalies in this game. It's a win and Marty played well enough to win. Sure maybe Schneider stops the first shot. But maybe he lets in that big Girardi shot? Theres no way to know.

I just want to take a moment to congratulate and applaud the devils fans at MSG for sounding so damn loud and reppin our fan base well during that glorious win.

My uncle used to have season tickets to the Rangers, and would take me when the Devils were there sometimes. Of course, I would wear my Devils jersey. I remember one game in about 96 or 97, an older Ranger fan turned around and said "you know, there used to be no red and black jerseys in this building. Every year, you look around and see more and more red and black now. It'll be 50/50 before you know it!"

Guy knew what he was talking about

Yes, it was a bad rebound, but Schneider's rebound control is one of his biggest issues. I don't think there's any need to compare the goalies in this game. It's a win and Marty played well enough to win. Sure maybe Schneider stops the first shot. But maybe he lets in that big Girardi shot? Theres no way to know.

Schneider can actually be in position to make second saves.

The butthurt from Rag fans is strong on the Cam goal. I don't see how anyone can call it a DISTINCT kicking motion.

I wish Brunner had Cam's passion and drive, although he had a better game. Cam gets ribbed here a lot, but man he gives no less than 100%

They also think Volchenkov should have been called for tripping on Miller.  He clearly got the puck before he got the skates.

Right on. Love how we've taken to invading the Garden.

It's amazing.  Not only have we done a much better job at keeping the blueskirts out of our arena, but we're doing a better job at bringing the red to their arena.

With the uptick in Gelinas and Merrill's play, does Larsson become expendable once he returns or do we base our future defense on those three guys?

Hell no.  My ideal defense for years to come includes Gelinas, Larsson, and Merrill being the heart of the blue line.

My uncle used to have season tickets to the Rangers, and would take me when the Devils were there sometimes. Of course, I would wear my Devils jersey. I remember one game in about 96 or 97, an older Ranger fan turned around and said "you know, there used to be no red and black jerseys in this building. Every year, you look around and see more and more red and black now. It'll be 50/50 before you know it!"

Guy knew what he was talking about

That would be insane!

Schneider can actually be in position to make second saves.

Marty always takes his sweet ass time to get back into position.  Nothing is more aggravating then watching him stumble around on net mouth scrambles.  The Zuc goal was awful.

Some of it is a result of who they play, but less of the ugly games are happening with Marty in net.  I'm starting to think his puck playing has an effect on the game.   I don't know if it has an overall effect on anything unless he's playing incredibly in goal, but the team tends to look less inept when he plays

Obviously Brodeur created that 1st goal, but I am not buying this at all.  It's been 30 games split between two guys.  Skill would have no way of trumping pure chance.

The butthurt from Rag fans is strong on the Cam goal. I don't see how anyone can call it a DISTINCT kicking motion.

I wish Brunner had Cam's passion and drive, although he had a better game. Cam gets ribbed here a lot, but man he gives no less than 100%

I don't see any evidence of a kicking motion at all. The only thing Cam is doing is a classic stop skating move. There's no way he could move his foot to kick, his weight is on his skates grinding into the ice to stop himself. eventually he does wipe out. That's a textbook scenario where it CAN go in off a skate.

Brunner had as many scoring chances as he did hooking penalties, not a very strong game IMO

jagr man, on that zajac goal haha what

dont let rags fans take this one away

we exposed hanky in his brand new building with his shiny new coin.

As I said, in the 3rd period and OT combined, the Devils only had 4 shots.  3 of those shots ended up in the back of the Rags' net.

Brunner had as many scoring chances as he did hooking penalties, not a very strong game IMO

Without the penalties, I would have said he had a decent game.  With the penalties, he had another bad game.

I'm proud to say I was at the game last night, sec. 223, right near Dancing Larry, LOL. I didn't wear my Devils gear only because my Rangers season ticket holder friend invited me and I didn't want to blow up his spot. But I stood up and cheered the last two Devils goals. As people have said, there were lots of Devils fans in the house; there even were three Devils fans sitting close to me in my row.

The renovations at the Garden are a definite improvement, although it's still not as nice as The Rock. The upstairs corridor was crowded, but the prices didn't seem too bad compared to The Rock. I paid $10.50 for a Bronx Pale Ale and $10 even for a personal pizza, the same price whether it had a topping or not.

The bowl is a little steeper than before. Before the renovations, the sections used to fan out wide, far and back. And the upper bridge is a little strange in how it juts out over the 200s-300s. My friend told me it blocks the upper 300s' view of the scoreboard/video screen. Even in his seats in 223, I had to duck my head to fully view the Knicks and Rangers banners because the overhanging bridge blocks the view.

One positive about the arena: the scoreboard displays which players are on the ice at all times. Does The Rock's scoreboard do that? Maybe it does and I hadn't noticed. It's a nice feature especially if you don't know all the players' numbers on the opposing team.

I was bummed to see Louis CK on the video screen trying to spur on the Rangers fans to cheer. I know he lives in New York, but still, I am a fan of his and cringed when I saw that.

Edited by 95Crash

Schneider doesn't let up both of those goals most likely. Marty slightly made up for some of it with the pass sure, but he's the reason we almost lost the game. Sure there were breakdowns but the goalies got to make tough saves, the Richards goal maybe I can forgive. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of goal tending to know if that was a shot that could be stopped, but I've seen goalies make saves like that. So let's give him a pass there but the rebound on the 2nd goal was a joke.

that rebound is exactly what a good goalie tries to do with that shot- send it hard and high to the opposite side if the ice. It was great awareness by Callahan to shoot it hard to Marty's pad because he knew the rebound was going to the open guy on the other side.

The blame for that is on the forward who should be back checking zucarrello.

That was an unexpected comeback.

Firstly, since I rip Deboer for playing the likes of Janssen and Sestito all the time...they were great. It was the line that the Devils needed yesterday. It kind of irks me that Deboer said the other day that these two have been excellent and bring all this energy all the time. It wasn't true, but last night was the kind of game that finally backed up what Deboer has been saying and sees with these players. I don't think we'll be seeing them out of the lineup until Carter and Gionta return. Speaking of high praise, it was pretty laughable the amount of praise Deboer gave Harrold. Might see Fayne back out if Harrold was that "excellent".

Secondly, everyone has already praised Gelinas, so there isn't too much to add there (he has been a revelation), but last night was the kind of game that shows that Zidlicky is pretty expendable now. Now, do I want him gone and both Sal and Volch back in the lineup...not exactly. But with more puck movers in the lineup and Zidlicky not really doing much for the PP, it's pretty clear he is not needed anymore. He still can add a lot, but he needs to show it.

Thirdly, great to see Ryder get going. That shot is a weapon the Devils haven't had in a long time and desperately need. The problem with Ryder has always been that he just doesn't get many shots going. When he goes on long scoring droughts, it usually means he just isn't getting shots on goal.

Lastly, really sh!tty penalties from Brunner. Unacceptable stuff. And he was actually playing fairly well for once too. I'd like them to go with Tedenby next game for Brunner and give him a shot playing with Elias.  

Edited by devilsrule33

Marty played pretty good. He had ton of good saves when we did need it and Cory's been real shaky lately. Either goalie. We would a won and we did.

He also let in two bad goals.  Bad goal to Richards on a slow moving wrist shot, and he moved very slowly getting back in position for the Zuc goal.  Neither should have ended up in the net.

Firstly, since I rip Deboer for playing the likes of Janssen and Sestito all the time...they were great. It was the line that the Devils needed yesterday. It kind of irks me that Deboer said the other day that these two have been excellent and bring all this energy all the time. It wasn't true, but last night was the kind of game that finally backed up what Deboer has been saying and sees with these players. I don't think we'll be seeing them out of the lineup until Carter and Gionta return. Speaking of high praise, it was pretty laughable the amount of praise Deboer gave Harrold. Might see Fayne back out if Harrold was that "excellent".

You have to give coaches some leeway to praise people.  Harrold hasn't played in 3 weeks and he goes in there and does okay.  That can't be easy - the team hasn't even had a full practice in weeks.

Secondly, everyone has already praised Gelinas, so there isn't too much to add there (he has been a revelation), but last night was the kind of game that shows that Zidlicky is pretty expendable now. Now, do I want him gone and both Sal and Volch back in the lineup...not exactly. But with more puck movers in the lineup and Zidlicky not really doing much for the PP, it's pretty clear he is not needed anymore. He still can add a lot, but he needs to show it.

This I agree with and Zidlicky's biggest problem is that his ability to drive play at even strength has either diminished or gone away.  I can't think of a team that really needs him, though.

Thirdly, great to see Ryder get going. That shot is a weapon the Devils haven't had in a long time and desperately need. The problem with Ryder has always been that he just doesn't get many shots going. When he goes on long scoring droughts, it usually means he just isn't getting shots on goal.

I don't really agree with this.  Ryder isn't getting enough shots on goal in general but he was still getting some shots, they just weren't going in.

Lastly, really sh!tty penalties from Brunner. Unacceptable stuff. And he was actually playing fairly well for once too. I'd like them to go with Tedenby next game for Brunner and give him a shot playing with Elias.  

The same Tedenby with as many minor penalties as shots on goal?  No thanks.  Mattias Tedenby does not belong in the NHL.

that rebound is exactly what a good goalie tries to do with that shot- send it hard and high to the opposite side if the ice. It was great awareness by Callahan to shoot it hard to Marty's pad because he knew the rebound was going to the open guy on the other side.

The blame for that is on the forward who should be back checking zucarrello.

Exactly. To blame Brodeur for that goal is ridiculous.

You mean the guy open on the absolute other side way above the circle, and Brodeur couldn't get over to make a stop?  It's one thing to allow a rebound on a 2 on 1 - yeah, that's how it goes.  It's another to let one in to the guy way above the circle.

Edited by Triumph

You mean the guy open on the absolute other side way above the circle, and Brodeur couldn't get over to make a stop?  It's one thing to allow a rebound on a 2 on 1 - yeah, that's how it goes.  It's another to let one in to the guy way above the circle.

It was a bang-bang play and a difficult save for any goalie to make. A butterfly goalie would have had a better chance because they are already down on the ice, but you make it seem as if it should have been routine, which it wasn't.

We base our future defense on those three guys. And Severson is waiting in the wings as well.

Has Burlon done anything worthwhile lately?

It was a bang-bang play and a difficult save for any goalie to make. A butterfly goalie would have had a better chance because they are already down on the ice, but you make it seem as if it should have been routine, which it wasn't.

I don't really have to break down which goals of Brodeur's are soft and which aren't at this point.  We just know that he gives up goals that other goalies don't because it is reflected in his save percentage the last 4 years.  I think that's a save Schneider makes more often than he doesn't.