Fans Q&A with Lou

MadDog2020

I'm shocked he actually talked with Chere after the hack job a while back :P

Chere (thinking to himself) "Hmmmmm, how can I get Lou to answer my questions...I KNOW!  I'll just say the fans wanna know..."

DevilinLA asked Question #7...still hope he and DIG find their way back here someday.

Anyway, can't take these answers too seriously...a lot of GM-speak, and the typical GM quotes that make a lot GMs (especially older ones) sound way more oblivious than they really are. 

Too bad SD apparently didn't know about this Q&A...he would've had some real doozies for Lou I'm sure... 

Chere (thinking to himself) "Hmmmmm, how can I get Lou to answer my questions...I KNOW!  I'll just say the fans wanna know..."

DevilinLA asked Question #7...still hope he and DIG find their way back here someday.

Anyway, can't take these answers too seriously...a lot of GM-speak, and the typical GM quotes that make a lot GMs (especially older ones) sound way more oblivious than they really are. 

Too bad SD apparently didn't know about this Q&A...he would've had some real doozies for Lou I'm sure... 

i didnt indeed.... fawk...

we need to get chere to set up a one on one interview for SD and Lou and have msg air it. It would be better than 90% of their content. Two of the most stubborn people on the planet (no offense SD)

6. Out of all the players that have ever been in a New Jersey Devils uniform, which individual player stands out the most as impressing you by exceeding your expectations of him, whether it be from his work ethic, skill level, leadership qualities, or any combination? From Gomezcanscore

"Oh, that's a good question and that's a tough one. I'd have to really think about that one because I can think of half a dozen that come to mind. By naming one I'd maybe slight the most important one. We've had a number of players who have really surprised us and went beyond expectations."

Come on Lou....ugh.

As the NHL game changes and gets faster, can the Devils' system and style of defensive hockey stay competitive? And how will you get fast, skilled, younger forwards without giving up our young prospects? From alldying

"I don't know what one means by 'the way the game has changed.' Defense has never changed and defense wins championships.

it only shows how clueless he is... he seriously do no realize how different the game is now?

we need to get chere to set up a one on one interview for SD and Lou and have msg air it. It would be better than 90% of their content. Two of the most stubborn people on the planet (no offense SD)

no offense taken bud, this is the internet haha

I'd give my soul to be able to sit with Lou and talk lol knowing Lou i wouldnt get one single legit answer though lol

LOL, it'll be better than that old Jim Rome - Jim Everett clip. 

Lou to SD:  "If you call me stubborn one more time..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

it only shows how clueless he is... he seriously do no realize how different the game is now?

no offense taken bud, this is the internet haha

I'd give my soul to be able to sit with Lou and talk lol knowing Lou i wouldnt get one single legit answer though lol

He's absolutely right about defense though. It's still top defensive teams that win Cups, not the teams like Dallas that rely on outscoring opponents. He didn't say anything about how in order to be successful offensively that you need to be a faster team. He's just saying that to build a contender, you still do it the same way it's always been done, from the net out.

He's absolutely right about defense though. It's still top defensive teams that win Cups, not the teams like Dallas that rely on outscoring opponents. He didn't say anything about how in order to be successful offensively that you need to be a faster team. He's just saying that to build a contender, you still do it the same way it's always been done, from the net out.

What is winning championship is depth and well balanced teams. When is the last time a team won without having like 2 really dominant forwards and a solid D? We've seen teams making it far with average goaltending and average D too lately. It's really about being well structured from top to bottom.

and that being said... we couldnt be any further than being a well balanced team lol

Edited by SterioDesign

What is winning championship is depth and well balanced teams. When is the last time a team won without having like 2 really dominant forwards and a solid D? We've seen teams making it far with average goaltending and average D too lately. It's really about being well structured from top to bottom.

and that being said... we couldnt be any further than being a well balanced team lol

What wins championships is defense.  Here's the last few cup winners in shots against:

LAK:  2nd

CHI:  4th

LAK:  4th

BOS:  29th

CHI:  1st

PIT:  18th

DET:  1st

A few outliers there - Pittsburgh got significantly better after their coaching change - but in general you have to be a good defensive team to win it all.

What wins championships is defense.  Here's the last few cup winners in shots against:

LAK:  2nd

CHI:  4th

LAK:  4th

BOS:  29th

CHI:  1st

PIT:  18th

A few outliers there - Pittsburgh got significantly better after their coaching change - but in general you have to be a good defensive team to win it all.

Ahhh well sure, just like any stats you can find one stat who's gonna say exactly what you want them to say. Here's mine. In all those playoffs here's where all those teams ranked in goals per games average.

LAK:  1st in goals for per games in the playoffs 

CHI:  6th in GF/G

LAK:  3rd (behind Pittsburgh and Flyers and we know why)

BOS:  5th n GF/G

CHI:  3rd

PIT:  2nd

• Like 1

Ahhh well sure, just like any stats you can find one stat who's gonna say exactly what you want them to say. Here's mine. In all those playoffs here's where all those teams ranked in goals per games average.

LAK: 1st in goals for per games in the playoffs

CHI: 6th in GF/G

LAK: 3rd (behind Pittsburgh and Flyers and we know why)

BOS: 5th n GF/G

CHI: 3rd

PIT: 2nd

DET: 1st

Kings had one of the worst offenses in 2012 and 2014. Their offense got hot in the playoffs. You can't shy away from that stat. Edited by Zubie#8

Kings had one of the worst offenses in 2012 and 2014. Their offense got hot in the playoffs. You can't shy away from that stat.

I was obviously just kidding partially. But were they gonna win without that offense? no.

Im standing by my point that of course you need good D but you need good offence too, all those teams who won had guys who could score, and the Kings HAD to score in the playoffs to win, really not as if they relied only on the D and goaltending. 

You need a balanced team, some team can outscore their defensive lapses and some teams can do the opposite with their offensive lapses, at the end of the day you have to be balanced.

Edited by SterioDesign

You need a balanced team, some team can outscore their defensive lapses and some teams can do the opposite with their offensive lapses, at the end of the day you have to be balanced.

Yeah I think that's what it boils down to. It's hard to be a championship team that wins solely on goaltending, offense or defense. All the teams you mentioned were at least pretty good at all three the year they won.

And Lou does mention a couple of times in the article that offense is the team's biggest need right now.

Obviously you have to have a well balanced team to win the Stanley Cup. However, if you do not have a top 10 defense, you have no chance at all if you look at the recent Stanley Cup winners. You can absolutely win a championship without an elite offense though.

LA ranked 26th and 17th in G/GP when they won the Cup in 2014 and 2012, respectively.

Boston had the 9th ranked offense in terms of G/GP in 2011, but were ranked 2nd in GA/GP.

The last time we had both teams in the SCF that weren't ranked in the top 10 for GA/GP was in 2009 with Detroit and Pittsburgh, but Detroit was the top ranked offense that year scoring 3.52 G/GP. They were ahead of the 2nd ranked Boston by a margin of .23 G/GP, which is a pretty significant gap.