The Pete Deboer Thread

Derlique

Problem may be that these guys dont want to play, they want to win. 

Talented people get benched while hard workers play -- and they lose. 

No one learns from benching that way. I think I was wrong -- this is a new team and that is the problem.  They dont understand the whole work ethic thing.  It can't be successfully pounded into their brains if they dont even want to hit the ice only to lose - they wont see their accountability. They just think deBoer is stupid and not giving them a chance all for his stupid code of honor or whatever.  It's a thought anyhow.

It's not the "new team" that's the problem though. Schneider, Jagr, Ryder, and even Olesz are showing a ton of effort (and results) out there. I think they understand the whole work ethic thing; Jagr looks like the captain out there...

• Like 1

I suspect they still give feedback. Why?

A) They haven't been witness to the trust building since they're new to the group -- they just see what looks like assumed entitlement. (perhaps)

B) They want to be liked in the new environment - best way is to invent a common enemy in close proximity. Sometimes The Rangers just don't cut it. (maybe) In life, this sort of manipulation is especially true of guys NOT on management's sh!t list.  Who wants to be goody two shoes?

C) I did have other new and even semi-new guys in mind - Lokti / Fayne may be part of the grousing. (possibly)

Edited by Pepperkorn

I just want Fayne, Larsson, and Olesz to be in the lineup regularly. If Pete won't do that, then yes I want him gone.

Well your wish has come true for tonight. I also want him to play Josefson and Teddy, Josefson deserves to be there. Tedenby is arguable but I still believe we have to show a lot more confidence in the little man.

Larsson said the coaches never really told him specifically what they wanted him to do better after he sat out for the two games. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/larsson_seeking_consistency_healthy_brunner_looking_to_produce_kinkaid_happy_to_be_in_nhl/#sthash.bXogs9HD.dpuf

Stuff like this bothers me to no fvcking end. What is Stevens' role on this team anyways?

The Devils have been leading or tied after regulation in 6 of the first 11 games. They have had sh!tty goaltending and have been competing very well. It's not that bad.

Deboer isn't going anywhere soon in my opinion. There is just no comparison to this team and the team that started the 2010-2011 season.

Edited by devilsrule33

The Devils have been leading or tied after regulation in 6 of the first 11 games. They have had sh!tty goaltending and have been competing very well. It's not that bad.

Deboer isn't going anywhere soon in my opinion. There is just no comparison to this team and the team that started the 2010-2011 team.

I agree with this entire post.

if the Bruins didnt lay down and die last week....he'd be gonzo already

Wrong. Lou is smart enough not to fire a coach 10 games into the season. You could go that route and be the Flyers and still suck...and then as the GM you have just asked to be fired. Not saying Lou expects to be fired...but when you fire a coach and still suck, it says enough about the job a GM has done.

This isn't a Johnny Mac situation where you have a coach that has no NHL coaching experience at all. This isn't a situation where a coach has been given all these new high priced stars. He has lost them all.

And just an FYI: For all the talk about Kovalchuk not doing this or that, the Devils had 1 win in the 11 games he missed last year. And they have 3 wins in 14 games without him this year. With him last year they were 18-13-6. 

Edited by devilsrule33

All this Johny Mac 2.0 crap is annoying, Pete took us to the SCF for god sake!! The ony way JMac was taking that team to the final was if he brought everyone on the team tickets.

Pete has done a good job, unforunatly he has one of the least tallented teams in New jersey in a long, long time.

It has been said Lou evaluates in blocks of 10 games, so i cant see anything happening until after Pitsburg on the 16th of November.

pete is not going to be fired its going to be the same old song and dance over here.. and in all fairness its not like he even has decent players to work with hes working with no talent trying to beat some of these more stacked teams i mean what does everyone really expect???

pete is not going to be fired its going to be the same old song and dance over here.. and in all fairness its not like he even has decent players to work with hes working with no talent trying to beat some of these more stacked teams i mean what does everyone really expect???

I agree. A big positive here was that, until the Flyers game, he's kept this rag-tag group competitive and playing a pretty high level. They're obviously deflated now, injuries have shown their ugly head, and not only did we not have the roster to be a great team, we definitely don't have the depth to deal with these ridiculously timed injuries.

I agree. A big positive here was that, until the Flyers game, he's kept this rag-tag group competitive and playing a pretty high level. They're obviously deflated now, injuries have shown their ugly head, and not only did we not have the roster to be a great team, we definitely don't have the depth to deal with these ridiculously timed injuries.

the injury list just keeps growing and taking a toll on them... i dont remember the last time there were this many important players out of the line up.. ive said it many times and ill say it once more.. clowe being out isnt helping us either not that hes done a damn thing in the games he has played but he was given a top role here and we need all of those players to come to work

But my calling for his head extends beyond personnel. yes, you need players to do their freaking jobs and score on occasion, but the game planning just is baffling to me. As others have pointed out, our power play gaining the zone strategy has been the same dump, chase, lose puck, clear. really don't get our team on so many levels right now, but PDB's constant insinuations of this just being bad puck luck is getting as old as hearing "status quo" all the freaking time.

But my calling for his head extends beyond personnel. yes, you need players to do their freaking jobs and score on occasion, but the game planning just is baffling to me. As others have pointed out, our power play gaining the zone strategy has been the same dump, chase, lose puck, clear. really don't get our team on so many levels right now, but PDB's constant insinuations of this just being bad puck luck is getting as old as hearing "status quo" all the freaking time.

Even at full health, this team lacks talent. Losing Elias and Zajac is a death sentence.

Even at full health, this team lacks talent. Losing Elias and Zajac is a death sentence.

EXACTLY, who are we kidding here. not only have we lost two of our best forwards, but the players we do have dont fit the devils system well. they're either too small or too slow or cant shoot. the injuries are causing havoc with the lineups, of course there's no chemistry

Every team has injuries. Good coaches find ways to win. You cannot have it both ways and keep finding excuses for all three from Lou and Deboer and the players.

Every team has injuries. Good coaches find ways to win. You cannot have it both ways and keep finding excuses for all three from Lou and Deboer and the players.

Remove the top 2 players from an already offensively-starved team, and that team's going to struggle regardless of who's behind the bench.

Remove the top 2 players from an already offensively-starved team, and that team's going to struggle regardless of who's behind the bench.

thats what im saying.. you can only do so much when you have 3rd line players coming out as your first like... zubrus-lokti-jagr is our first line right now LOL ... i dont know why anyone would expect any different then what were getting right now