30 replies to this topic

#1 oat77

oat77

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:43 PM

The NBA is running out of spots to put their struggling teams. Newark might be their best option
New Jersey might have shot at New Orleans Hornets when N.J. Nets move

Newark is "hosting" the New Jersey Nets until a Brooklyn arena is open. Newark might be the best open market the NBA will have but that will not happen for a few years.

...would New Jersey be a viable option if Prokhorov's Nets are finally in Brooklyn? That's a good question. David Stern's three legged stool theory of being financially successful requires a city to provide government support (an arena, tax breaks, etc.), a strong cable TV money deal and corporate support.

"I love working for New Jersey," Burns said. "They've been great to me. They've supported me. (General manager) Lou (Lamoriello) is a godsend for me because he's looked after me, and I know I can stay close to hockey."

#2 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

It's a longshot, but if it happened, I think it could really be successful this time. The Nets carried way too much baggage that a new team wouldn't have.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#3 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

It's a longshot, but if it happened, I think it could really be successful this time. The Nets carried way too much baggage that a new team wouldn't have.

Agreed.. Having a team playing in Newark, getting involved in the community there, and being proud to represent New Jersey could revive basketball in the state.. I mean, when the Nets were good I remember the stands having a decent crowd at CAA.. Newark would only do better, being in a nicer and more accessible arena.. Once Stern sees the draft hosted in the beautiful PruCenter, he will want a team playing there

Then maybe JVB will drop the charade and start paying his taxes on the place once he has revenue from another NBA team

Edited by Colin226, 13 January 2011 - 10:53 PM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#4 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

I would not be surprised at all. There are other factors working in favor of it:

1)No territorial issues like the Devils had to deal with
2)The majority of basketball fans in NJ aren't going to Brooklyn. They'll go to the Garden before going there
3)If this area can support 3 hockey teams for this long, then they can support 3 NBA teams

#5 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:38 PM

I agree with everything that has been said here. It could work, and there is more chance of it happening than people will believe. However, if I had to place a bet, I don't think it happens.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

3)If this area can support 3 hockey teams for this long, then they can support 3 NBA teams

Huge point

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#7 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

I'm not much of an NBA fan, but I did go to a few Nets games back in the day. With a new team, that is proud to call itself an NJ team, I think they could do very well in Newark. Right now, who in NJ wants to go to a Nets game...they are deserting us.

One possibility I have heard before is that the Bucks move to NJ. They wouldn't even have to change the name. Drive 20 mins west of Newark and you are in deer country.
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'm not much of an NBA fan, but I did go to a few Nets games back in the day. With a new team, that is proud to call itself an NJ team, I think they could do very well in Newark. Right now, who in NJ wants to go to a Nets game...they are deserting us.

One possibility I have heard before is that the Bucks move to NJ. They wouldn't even have to change the name. Drive 20 mins west of Newark and you are in deer country.

The New Jersey Roadkill Bucks?

#9 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

I started disliking the Nets when the move to Brooklyn was announced, but I held on in hopes that the arena would fall through, and they would basically say "our bad, we love you, Jersey." But the final straw for me was when they dropped "New Jersey" from their uniforms. If a new team moves into the Rock, I will be 100% behind them. Until then, I only root for Demon Deacons in the NBA

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#10 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 06:30 PM

Really the Nets are 30th, dead last and the Devils are 26th out of 30, you're using the term support pretty loosely.

#11 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Really the Nets are 30th, dead last and the Devils are 26th out of 30, you're using the term support pretty loosely.

And both teams are the worst clubs in their respective leagues. And one of them is a lame duck franchise who spat in the face of NJ. Coincidence?

#12 DeevFactor

DeevFactor

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

And both teams are the worst clubs in their respective leagues. And one of them is a lame duck franchise who spat in the face of NJ. Coincidence?

Both teams have been in the bottom half (bottom third in most cases) in attendance in the past decade. Both has had consistently good seasons and making the playoffs (aside from the Nets recent mediocrity and Devils dreadful first half).

#13 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

Both teams have been in the bottom half (bottom third in most cases) in attendance in the past decade. Both has had consistently good seasons and making the playoffs (aside from the Nets recent mediocrity and Devils dreadful first half).

Exactly the sh!t attendance isn't a recent development, there's a long track record of it. Slapping a different NBA team in here would do nothing to improve it. Frankly I can't see why anybody would be crazy enough to even try it and I'm confident nobody will.

#14 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

Both has had consistently good seasons and making the playoffs

The bad seasons wayyy outweigh the good for the Nets.
If they start to average less than what the Coyotes are or in the 4 digit range, I can understand the skepticism. You forget those teams had the luxury of playing in the swamp for most of the decade, which was rated the worst NBA arena for a reason. And before you talk about the Rock, I wouldn't call 15,000 sh!t attendance, especially for a "boring," unmarketable hockey team who hasn't done anything great since 2003.

#15 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,079 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

Exactly the sh!t attendance isn't a recent development, there's a long track record of it. Slapping a different NBA team in here would do nothing to improve it. Frankly I can't see why anybody would be crazy enough to even try it and I'm confident nobody will.

The Nets were rumored to be leaving 6 years ago, and made their plans definite 5 years ago. They've been a lame duck franchise ever since.

There are markets much worse off in the NBA than a New Jersey market would be.

I'm not saying a team would definitely move in, but it's more likely than you think.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#16 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

I don't know why people think team owners care about attendance, team owners care most about revenue when it comes to dollars and cents. The Devils have been doing well in revenue.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#17 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

3 teams in this area? Can't imagine that is a good idea.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 DeevFactor

DeevFactor

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

The bad seasons wayyy outweigh the good for the Nets.
If they start to average less than what the Coyotes are or in the 4 digit range, I can understand the skepticism. You forget those teams had the luxury of playing in the swamp for most of the decade, which was rated the worst NBA arena for a reason. And before you talk about the Rock, I wouldn't call 15,000 sh!t attendance, especially for a "boring," unmarketable hockey team who hasn't done anything great since 2003.

Well, I never really said that attendance was poor or anything. I made a point that based on attendance rankings, we never really got out of the bottom half regardless of success. We still had good numbers in most cases.

#19 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

nets gave us their bad juju.

and a new team would definitely have a huge audience, if marketed right

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#20 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

3 teams in this area? Can't imagine that is a good idea.

lol

they should call the team the new jersey angels.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users