Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

Id even consider getting a prospect in return of an NHL dman... I mean on offence i dont feel we have any AHLers whos simply "doing there time" in the AHL waiting to be ready for the big club... I feel we just have a bunch of.... Guys who mayyyyy find a spot on the 3rd or 4th line mayyyyyyyybe iffff theres injuries lol on defense we have a few but ipon offence i doubt it...

I feel we need to stack our prospect pool a bit somehow and trading our d for prospects would be a good way cause teams could be making a run and would need experience so theyd be willing to trade a future project for immediate help

But that's how prospects work - guys on 1st and 2nd lines, around the NHL, don't typically spend much time in AHL. So yeah, would I trade Tallinder and Urbom for Magnus Paajarvi and a low round pick? Sure. But the AHL is mostly a development league for lower line players, both at forward and on defense.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Tallinder will be traded. I think you're all taking for granted one of the main reasons he may have been brought here, and that is the load of young Swedish players on our team. Lou knows what he's doing keeping an older more experienced Swede around (who's not a goalie/Hedberg). I think intangibles like that are extremely important for a locker room and they get underestimated when trade talk comes around...

I hope only if the package is right. (Tallinder and maybe a 2nd or 3rd if you need to add on.) I believe I'm in the minority that would rather see Tallinder traded the Volchenkov. Nothing against Tallinder he's great and all but Volchenkov gives us that grit we need. He isn't afraid to hit other players onto their asses. I can't wait for the season to start so he can mentor Larsson. We'll also have Scotty giving Adam pointers too... :icon23:

I hope only if the package is right. (Tallinder and maybe a 2nd or 3rd if you need to add on.) I believe I'm in the minority that would rather see Tallinder traded the Volchenkov. Nothing against Tallinder he's great and all but Volchenkov gives us that grit we need. He isn't afraid to hit other players onto their asses. I can't wait for the season to start so he can mentor Larsson. We'll also have Scotty giving Adam pointers too... :icon23:

Like someone said before though. Tallinder, while not flashy, is the kind of player that is technically sound, which makes for a good teacher. He is also a native speaker of the Swedish language, this aids more than most of us will ever know in building an immediate rapport and bonding with fellow countrymen. Sal or Volch go, those would be my choices, but we all know Tally or Green are easier to move.

I believe I'm in the minority that would rather see Tallinder traded the Volchenkov. Nothing against Tallinder he's great and all but Volchenkov gives us that grit we need. He isn't afraid to hit other players onto their asses.

Salvador does the same thing. I don't think we need both, and IMO Tallinder brings more to the table than Volchenkov.

I know someone will chew me out for this, but I'd even go with trading Salvador... not because I do not think he's a great stay-at-home dman, but his contract is for 3 more years with a cap hit of over 3 million. I highly doubt Sal will stay in the same form from now to the end of his contract, he will be 37 in a month, 40 when it's all said and done. Where as Volchenkov may have a cap hit of about a million dollars more, but he is 6 years younger. Injuries are another shot at A-Train but let's not forget that Bryce could be done for it with another concussion. Volchenkov also has an NTC so it could turn into a nasty situation, which could eventually hold us hostage to trading him for nothing.

Who the hell is gonna take Sal with that contract? He's not even an option to be moved because of it.

Who the hell is gonna take Sal with that contract? He's not even an option to be moved because of it.

they just signed him so obviously they intend to have him around. What kind of message would that be: sign till presumably end of career then trade you at the first available opportunity

How about Dan Cleary + Tomas Jurco for Andy Greene?

Detroit currently looks something like this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Samuelsson

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Tootoo

Miller-X-Eaves

But they have Damien Brunner, who crushes the Swiss league, and Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar in the minors. Cleary's no-trade has lapsed, and he seems like a perfect fit on the 3rd line.

I think that would be great for the Devils, I'm not sure Detroit would be into it. Unless they're down on Jurco I'd want to give up less than him as the extra piece.

Cleary is signed only through this season, Greene is signed for 2 more seasons beyond this one. Jurco is having a rough start to his pro career but he's the kind of skill player the Devils lack.

How about Dan Cleary + Tomas Jurco for Andy Greene?

Detroit currently looks something like this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Samuelsson

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Tootoo

Miller-X-Eaves

But they have Damien Brunner, who crushes the Swiss league, and Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar in the minors. Cleary's no-trade has lapsed, and he seems like a perfect fit on the 3rd line.

I'd be down for that. Devils could really use a player like Cleary and getting a cost controlled prospect like Jurco makes giving up Greene a fair deal. Assuming everyone is healthy, I wouldn't mind something like:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler

Henrique-Elias-Zubrus

Cleary-Josefson-Clarkson

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Cleary is signed only through this season, Greene is signed for 2 more seasons beyond this one. Jurco is having a rough start to his pro career but he's the kind of skill player the Devils lack.

The thing is and its gonna sound dumb... But the devils doesnt really need those highly skilled and dangling players. Our system is based on... Dump, chase, battle against the board, get puck to the point, point shot. Over and over and over and over... Same plays every times. Everything is calculated we rarely see really creative plays and crazy dangles around defenders in NJ. Cause everytime they get in the zone they slow down to settle they almost NEVER try to make a quick play off the rush other than on the PK.

We saw what happen to tedenby who obviously doesnt fit well in our system because of that so im not too sure jurco would be that much better

The thing is and its gonna sound dumb... But the devils doesnt really need those highly skilled and dangling players. Our system is based on... Dump, chase, battle against the board, get puck to the point, point shot. Over and over and over and over... Same plays every times. Everything is calculated we rarely see really creative plays and crazy dangles around defenders in NJ. Cause everytime they get in the zone they slow down to settle they almost NEVER try to make a quick play off the rush other than on the PK.

That's silly. The Devils have had a ton of creative players past present and future on their team. I also don't believe that the Devils play dump and chase hockey -

It's a small sample, but someone studying the Flyers concluded that when Zac Rinaldo and Claude Giroux are able to enter the zone while carrying the puck at even strength, the results aren't too far off. The key is that Claude Giroux is just that much better at gaining the zone with the puck on his stick.

I feel that NHL defenses know this, and place a huge emphasis on not allowing teams to gain the zone with the puck, or if they do, not allowing them to gain the zone with speed. No one's gaining the zone all the time or making huge dangles - they're bad plays and bad gambles.

I can give you 5 goals from the playoffs that exhibited a high degree of skill and creativity.

We saw what happen to tedenby who obviously doesnt fit well in our system because of that so im not too sure jurco would be that much better

Tedenby has not had great success at any level of hockey since being drafted. Not in Sweden, not in the AHL, and not in the NHL. I don't believe that it has anything to do with systems - I just don't think Tedenby is that smart a player. With the puck, he's very good, but he has not learned how to play without it. Jurco might be the same, I don't know, but sometimes players figure it out.

I would be ecstatic if something like Tri's trade were to occur. I'm still not sure Greene alone would be enough to send both of those guys to NJ, though.

Aren't all of Fayne, Greene, Larsson, Tallinder, Salvador, Volchenkov, and Zidlicky healthy at the moment, or am I missing something? It seems that the consensus around here is that Lou isn't going to make a move until he sees how the team can play once the season starts, but I don't understand how he can do that with 7 defensemen signed. It really does not make any sense to me. I know I'm kind of stating the obvious here, but I really think that a trade has to happen this week unless there is something else we don't know.

Larsson better not be sent down to the AHL. Looks like they'll have to scratch someone if nothing happens before Saturday.

Edited by nessus

That's silly. The Devils have had a ton of creative players past present and future on their team. I also don't believe that the Devils play dump and chase hockey

are you serious? dump, chase, forecheck. thats ALL they did in the playoffs, at least 90% of the time. it worked but i remember getting so mad and annoyed at them cause it was so fvcking boring eventhough they were winning.

also remember the Kings defence interference with our guys trying to reach the puck after dumping it, which led to us not having a great success there.

i mean youre knowledgable Tri and everything but i cant believe youre there telling me they didnt play dump and chase. lol

I can give you 5 goals from the playoffs that exhibited a high degree of skill and creativity.

i can give you a lot more than 5 goals based on dump, chase and forecheck.

Edited by SterioDesign

are you serious? dump, chase, forecheck. thats ALL they did in the playoffs, at least 90% of the time. it worked but i remember getting so mad and annoyed at them cause it was so fvcking boring eventhough they were winning.

also remember the Kings defence interference with our guys trying to reach the puck after dumping it, which led to us not having a great success there.

i mean youre knowledgable Tri and everything but i cant believe youre there telling me they didnt play dump and chase. lol

Everyone plays dump and chase. Everyone plays enter the zone with the puck, too. It depends on what the defense is giving you. Might the Devils have been better at dump and chase than most teams, therefore chose to do it more often? Yeah maybe, especially against the Flyers. But I can guarantee that if someone examined zone entries for the Devils they would find that Kovalchuk carries the puck into the zone more often than other Devils, and he was injured and basically unable to gain the zone with speed.

i can give you a lot more than 5 goals based on dump, chase and forecheck.

I can think of a ton of goals that were scored off the rush. I was just talking about plays that exhibited creativity.