72 replies to this topic

#41 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I feel bad for Kings fans, but considering the way Seattle got screwed out of their team, I'm happy about this.

http://sonicsgate.com/

and it's not like that Kings team's been there forever either. They haven't been there for even 30 years whereas the Sonics were and had more history and had ONLY been in Seattle. The kings have been in rochester, Cincinnati, KC and Omaha. Only problem is they're not likely to get another team since I can't imagine rich people dying to put a team in Sacramento of all places
Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#42 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Sacramento is a hole. Ive only been there a few times, but I can't see why anyone would go there other than it being the capital.

The Sonics never should've left Seattle, but Key Arena is a dire pit.

I worked there when the Sonics were good in the late 90s. And if you thought Brendan Byrne/Whatever was bad near the end, it was never as bad as Key got. Its a very antequated building.

I really wish they could put this arena in Seattle Center like Key is, but it's probably better served in SoDo. I hope to move back to WA someday, so I'm really excited about the potential for NHL hockey there. That was the only thing missing.

#43 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Posted Image

It looks like they will get a NHL team too. :doh1:

#44 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

It looks like they will get a NHL team too. :doh1:

Whether it's from Phoenix (Jamison has no money) or not, it's going to happen. NHL's dead set on getting expansion fees probably from Hamilton/Quebec City and now Seattle too. Pretty safe bet we're going to 32 teams

edit: your image isn't working btw

Edited by DH26, 23 January 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#45 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I won't be shocked if it happens but I hate the idea of a 32 team league. The talent pool is diluted enough as it is.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#46 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I won't be shocked if it happens but I hate the idea of a 32 team league. The talent pool is diluted enough as it is.

I agree about dilution, but If they are intent on going to that four conference system, I would rather have 32 teams and have 4 conf's of 8, rather then that weird 8,8,7,7 setup they were floating. Ideally they would contract two teams but we all know that wont happen, so this might not be a terrible result.

Also, put me in for the "great for Seattle" camp. It's a wonderful city with a lot of hockey fans thanks to the WHL and I believe a team will flourish there. Unfortunate for the Kings though, always feel bad for the base a franchise leaves behind.

Edited by squishyx, 23 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#47 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I agree about dilution, but If they are intent on going to that four conference system, I would rather have 32 teams and have 4 conf's of 8, rather then that weird 8,8,7,7 setup they were floating. Ideally they would contract two teams but we all know that wont happen, so this might not be a terrible result.

I'm curious to see what people think are the 2 cities most likely to get an expansion team. With new arenas going up over the next few years in Seattle and Quebec, they'd be my top 2 favorites to get teams.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#48 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm curious to see what people think are the 2 cities most likely to get an expansion team. With new arenas going up over the next few years in Seattle and Quebec, they'd be my top 2 favorites to get teams.

Idk how well Hockey would do in Kansas City but I would throw them into the mix. They can call themselves the KC Googlers :D

But yeah, Seattle and QC would be my top two, I think both cities would do exceptionally well and I am sure Canadian fans would be thrilled at adding an 8th team.

#49 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Its all but assured Seattle will be getting an NHL team once this arena is completed. Part of the deal for the new arena was the NHL coming in. They'd have had one back when they added San Jose when that expansion occurred, but the arena has always been the issue.

I'm really excited for the potential there and the Seattle team almost assuredly becomes my 2nd favorite team. Love Seattle sports. Even the dopey Mariners haha.

#50 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...-kings-stay-put

The NBA owners committee has voted to keep the Kings in Sacramento, forcing the Maloofs to take the lesser offer from the local group that Mayor Kevin Johnson helped frantically put together. The Maloofs will still get to keep the $30M negotiating fee from Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer. Huge loss for Seattle for a number of reasons. They will still remain without their beloved Sonics and they won't be in the running to try and grab the Coyotes. Big victory for Sacramento and Quebec today. I imagine the only relocation option for the Coyotes now is Quebec.

Expansion isn't on the table for the NBA and Seattle would need a NBA team in order to get a NHL one. So the idea of Seattle joining the NHL seems gone...at least for a few years or so. On another note, people in Seattle must hate David Stern even more today (if that is possible).

#51 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,678 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

thats good news for Quebec

www.SterioDesign.com

#52 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Devils.

#53 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:29 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...-kings-stay-put

The NBA owners committee has voted to keep the Kings in Sacramento, forcing the Maloofs to take the lesser offer from the local group that Mayor Kevin Johnson helped frantically put together. The Maloofs will still get to keep the $30M negotiating fee from Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer. Huge loss for Seattle for a number of reasons. They will still remain without their beloved Sonics and they won't be in the running to try and grab the Coyotes. Big victory for Sacramento and Quebec today. I imagine the only relocation option for the Coyotes now is Quebec.

Expansion isn't on the table for the NBA and Seattle would need a NBA team in order to get a NHL one. So the idea of Seattle joining the NHL seems gone...at least for a few years or so. On another note, people in Seattle must hate David Stern even more today (if that is possible).

The city was promised the next available team, be it a move or expansion would go to Seattle. So while this certainly is bad news for them, I think it's just a matter of time. I also don't think that there needs to be a basketball team first, just that one has to be in the works. I could see a push for a hockey team in 2014-15 with a bball team eyed on the horizon.

#54 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Sacramento is a hole. Ive only been there a few times, but I can't see why anyone would go there other than it being the capital.

Imagine who would want to go there if the Kings leave!

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#55 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

The city was promised the next available team, be it a move or expansion would go to Seattle. So while this certainly is bad news for them, I think it's just a matter of time. I also don't think that there needs to be a basketball team first, just that one has to be in the works. I could see a push for a hockey team in 2014-15 with a bball team eyed on the horizon.

Wasn't the push for a new arena in Seattle contingent on the Kings moving up, though? Key Arena is not suitable for NHL hockey and at best it could be a temporary home for a basketball team if necessary. So if there's no new arena, there's no place for the Coyotes to go, and even if Seattle is somehow guaranteed to get the NBA in the future, we don't know when that will be. All of this means that by the time Seattle is a viable option for the NHL, the Coyotes will probably be off the table and we're left looking at either expansion or wondering which market is the next to fail.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#56 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Wasn't the push for a new arena in Seattle contingent on the Kings moving up, though? Key Arena is not suitable for NHL hockey and at best it could be a temporary home for a basketball team if necessary. So if there's no new arena, there's no place for the Coyotes to go, and even if Seattle is somehow guaranteed to get the NBA in the future, we don't know when that will be. All of this means that by the time Seattle is a viable option for the NHL, the Coyotes will probably be off the table and we're left looking at either expansion or wondering which market is the next to fail.

Well, it's not good. But from the sounds of it Hansen isn't ready to give up buying the Kings yet. They have also made some headway into the new arena and he might not walk away so fast.

#57 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Steve Ballmer gave off the impression in an interview yesterday that NBA expansion isn't remotely close to coming, even in a few years, which is why the Seattle group is going to fight hard even though the odds are against them now. People in Seattle have been told since 2008 that the league would eventually get back to them, but reading this Sonics blog, I really get the impression that they are losing faith and see it as an empty promise from Stern. I can't blame them for not having any faith or trust in Stern after he teamed up with his personal friend, Clay Bennett, to steal their team, and now in recent years has fought to keep the New Orleans and Sacramento franchises despite their struggles.

I still think they must have a basketball team locked up before even going after hockey, which is only to be a 2nd tenant. Until they have some sort of contract that will assure them a NBA team is moving to Seattle, I don't think Hansen's group will even try to find a potential hockey owner for a Seattle team.

#58 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

http://www.sonicsare...back-to-seattle

A few days old, but looks like they upped their bid 75m and "we have also guaranteed to the NBA that the Franchise would be a revenue sharing payer in all years in Seattle."

I don't have much of a stake in Seattle getting franchises, I go out there only once a year, but it's hard to root against this guy (apart from current Kings fans of course).

#59 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm going to remove the "not happening" in the thread title. I've kept up with the story since the relo committee recommendation but been too lazy to post all the details. Lots of going back and forth and speculation but as you said Hansen, Ballmer, + are going at this hard by upping their own offer to add a ton more value than the Sac group can, plus there is a report they have a back up deal with the Maloofs to acquire 20% of the franchise and then essentially pull a "Clay Bennett good faith" deal and move the Kings in a year or two like he did to Seattle. Though reports seem to say that the NBA will direct owners to not approve any sale to the Hansen, Ballmer group no matter what.

Big vote tomorrow. I expect Stern to get his way but there are still a lot of obstacles to keep the Kings in SacTown as there arena plan is now facing legal opposition. A lot of people seem to think that by playing hardball the way Hansen and Ballmer are, they can eventually get a team back in Seattle via lawsuit similar to how the Mariners came to town....and with that, whenver that is, let the NHL speculation run rampant!

#60 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:17 PM

...plus there is a report they have a back up deal with the Maloofs to acquire 20% of the franchise and then essentially pull a "Clay Bennett good faith" deal and move the Kings in a year or two like he did to Seattle. Though reports seem to say that the NBA will direct owners to not approve any sale to the Hansen, Ballmer group no matter what.

Off topic but I thought it was pretty ironic that Clay Bennett was on the board that unanimously voted to reject the move to Seattle. That guy must have gotten some really bad coffee in Seattle once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users