2010 MLB Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, yeah, I don't get it. The Jays HAVE to be kicking in some money. Wells was actually really good this year (+4 fWAR), but I'm not sure how much you can put into that given its his first legit-good season since 2006. He was terrible away from the friendly confines of Toronto too; .306 wOBA on the road, .417 at home. And of course he still has another 4 years/$86M on that deal.

Napoli has caught flack for his defense but that's not exactly an area of strength in the sabermetric world, so its hard to measure his value. What is known though is that his bat is quite good for a catcher, so at the very worst, he's at least a nice bat that should fit that park really well. Rivera is meh, but he only has 1 year left on his deal, and maybe he'll bounce back and do alright in that park.

Oh, and meanwhile, the Rays are getting Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez.

It really is an "LOLWHAT" night in MLB... wow.

Another thing - this probably makes Jeff Mathis the new everyday catcher in Anaheim. Yep. The guy with the career .199/.265/.311 batting line.

Edited by nmigliore

http://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/28670852690092033

Vladimir Guerrero could be one of the best FA bargains for one-year deal of off-season....getting close to accepting humbling deal w O's

Add another big name into the AL East. He isn't the player he once was but he's still good. Had a .360 wOBA and 124 wRC+ last year.

My initial thought was that it was kind of an awkward fit when you consider the circumstances -- he'd probably make more sense for a contender -- however there probably isn't any contenders even in need of a DH right now. Texas would have made sense again but they are stuck with Michael Young's contract and will be forced to use him at DH. Also, something that probably shouldn't go understated is Vlad is a name that can bring fans to the park, something that franchise needs.

In any case, Baltimore is even more homer-friendly than Texas, especially for right-handed hitters. With the additions of Vlad, Mark Reynolds (hes going to love that park), J.J. Hardy, Derrek Lee, and a healthy Brian Roberts, the Orioles quietly did a solid job of reshaping their team this offseason. They may not all be sexy names, but if you look at the kind of production the O's got from most of those positions last year: -1.1 WAR from 1B, +1 WAR from 2B, -0.7 WAR from SS, 0 WAR from 3B, you can see its an upgrade. Adding Vlad would also probably push Luke Scott to LF, upgrading a position in which the O's also had below replacement level production from last season.

The O's might still be destined for a last place finish, but they are at least showing their fanbase they are trying to field a competent team, and I'm sure O's fans will enjoy watching Vlad manage to slash base hits while swinging a foot outside the strikezone.

Edited by nmigliore

You can breathe easier Fiesty; Galarraga ends up in Arizona for a couple of minor leaguers: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/01/dbacks-acquire-armando-galarraga.html

Galarraga is a cool dude and all, but hes such a bad fit for that ballpark; he had the 3rd highest flyball percentage among pitchers with at least 100 innings pitched last season and his career 1.62 K/BB is quite bad for a flyball pitcher.

• 2 weeks later...

So Michael Young of Texas wants to be traded. Source

Who do you think he's going to, if anywhere?

He has a limited NTC, and the Angels seem like the best possible fit if they were a National League team.

I've heard rumors of both the Yankees and Mets being tossed around there, but I don't think either is particularly likely. Young wouldn't start on the Yankees barring injury, and I can't seem him adapting to a bench role with NYY if he won't for Texas. He would make an amazing bench player, but he sure wouldn't start. And the Mets should probably not take on that contract (3/48) unless they can ship both Castillo and Perez out the door AND get some cash. It would either be a bad contract swap or a Gary Matthews Jr. style trade.

Young is an overrated player; hes been a below average hitter (90 wRC+) over the last 3 seasons away from Texas and his defense at 3B is not good either. Unless your home park is very friendly to right-handed hitters, I'd stay away from his remaining contract.

Dave Cameron of Fangraphs brought up an idea for a possible swap of Carlos Lee for Michael Young, which could make a lot of sense for both sides: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/michael-young-for-carlos-lee-makes-sense/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anybody reads Rob Neyer, I'm sure some do, but hes moved from ESPN to SB Nation recently, and I've really enjoyed reading his stuff. He comes from a saber-based point of view, but he won't put you to sleep like some Fangraphs articles will. Even if you are into the advanced stats I still highly recommend reading his stuff: http://www.sbnation.com/authors/rob-neyer

Per Rotoworld, looks like Adam Wainwright is gonna need TJ surgery.

That's really too bad for the Cardinals; Wainwright such a major piece to lose. I have favored the Brewers for that division regardless, but it was always kinda wide open between them, the Reds, and the Cards. This definitely sets St. Louis back quite a bit.

Edited by nmigliore

• 5 months later...