GDT- Devils @ Thrashers 8 PM

Derlique

Sometimes you have to look at the overall picture, hard as it may be to do at times.

10-6-4.  I'm guessing based on losing Parise and not having Henrique for a while, among other things, most of us probably would've signed up for that. 

But now that the losses are coming, and the offense isn't, guys like Zajac are going to start hearing about their lack of production.  Points clearly aren't everything, but the two assists thing is mind-blowing.  At this point, I'd expect him to have five or so by accident.

I mean this game was just like the games they won at the beginning of the season, except Winnipeg got the bounce and not us, and the game didn't manage to go to OT.  DeBoer said it himself after Sunday's game.

Can't shoot 5% forever - Devils broke even against a team with two non-NHL players as their 3rd and 4th line centers.  That speaks pretty highly of the rest of the team.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather this slump now than in the beginning or end of the season. Imagine how crappy the first month of the season would've been if we were proving all the pundits RIGHT about how the lack of Parise would affect this team from the get-go? We're back to flying under the midseason radar and we don't have to deal with all the analysts making light of our team; we can focus on getting back to good hockey without the media attention.

If we lost our first 5 of 6 games in the season, everyone starts talking about the Devils as a joke team, Lou as an ineffective GM for letting Parise go, Kovalchuk as an ineffective player without Parise, DeBoer an ineffective coach without Parise, etc. Because this slump is coming a few weeks after the hoopla of the beginning of the season, we're just in a "midseason slump".

I mean this game was just like the games they won at the beginning of the season, except Winnipeg got the bounce and not us, and the game didn't manage to go to OT.  DeBoer said it himself after Sunday's game.

Can't shoot 5% forever - Devils broke even against a team with two non-NHL players as their 3rd and 4th line centers.  That speaks pretty highly of the rest of the team.

"Brian Burke endearing himself to the stat fiends at #ssac: "Numbers are overrated ... It's an eyeball business ... Still got to watch guys."

"Burke to the MIT stat folk: "Statistics are like a lamp post to a drunk. Useful for support but not for illumination."

... just sayin'

Edited by SterioDesign

Sometimes you have to look at the overall picture, hard as it may be to do at times.

10-6-4.  I'm guessing based on losing Parise and not having Henrique for a while, among other things, most of us probably would've signed up for that. 

But now that the losses are coming, and the offense isn't, guys like Zajac are going to start hearing about their lack of production.  Points clearly aren't everything, but the two assists thing is mind-blowing.  At this point, I'd expect him to have five or so by accident.

yeah there have been injuries, but the inability to establish any type of line stability is starting to show

"Brian Burke endearing himself to the stat fiends at #ssac: "Numbers are overrated ... It's an eyeball business ... Still got to watch guys."

"Burke to the MIT stat folk: "Statistics are like a lamp post to a drunk. Useful for support but not for illumination."

... just sayin'

Brian Burke is also a joke. He's done some good things but for the most part all he does is make bad trades and over hype his players. Was kinda surprised by the timing of him getting fired but new it was coming eventually.

... just sayin'

What does this have to do with anything I said?

I think Urbom should get a shot now.

That is the simplest line-up change that should be made.

And only scoring one goal a game is getting really old now.

But there are still 28 games left. I won't panic just yet, but before you know it the season will be over.

Actuarial science (math & stats for risk assessment in insurance, finance etc.) proves itself to be correct in the majority of cases because the data sets are huge, so relevant statistical consistencies can be identified. Baseball is such a HUGE game -- big leagues - huge teams, LOOOOONG games - there is a way to put the stats to work for you. Hockey's data sets are just too small to start with.

Hockey stats (I think) are trying to get there -- that's why we get new stats like Corsis and Fenwicks --- but it's not quite there yet. The game is too fast and short and players are too transient - teams, coaches, styles of play, -- man even the RULES!!!!  The equipment -- it's just a game in constant flux on and off the ice  -- and you can't play "Moneypuck" with that, as appealing as it may be.

Now I'm going to be an ass   :evil:

and too many guys here have cowed the board into this stupid group think and making people feel defensive and lacking in knowledge over NOTHING - not one proven point -- guys just get told "logic dictates.. blahblahblah..." and no earth shattering prediction has come to pass on this board thanks to stats. 

Sometimes I find the stats posts to be really fun and thought provoking until one of the guys has to go all "YOU'RE STUPID" if you disagree with his subjective assumption - it's not the same guy always, I dont mean to be finger pointing - it's a state of mind.  There's never any room for another take.  They always the pick and choose who they respond to - if it can be a winning battle for the stats loving types, they start in.  If a valid point is made, they generally just ignore the post. 

This post will be ignored - no part acknowledged - not even the first half about why statistics aren't there yet for the game of hockey. It's a great conversation that should be had -- but it won't be, will it? :evil:  Why not?  Because the discussion must be within stats lover guidelines, his boundaries, his comfort zone – if there is a chance he’ll lose control or be lead away from his proven strategy, he won’t go.  And it’s sad because this is about discussion not “winning”  <_<  at least that’s what used to make the board good.  That, and the jokes. I still like it here and love what lots of people say -- and being weird and stuff.  and I love the Devils and Devils hockey and no one else in the universe does who isn't here even just lurking!!  REALLY!!! :lol:

Burke, makes a great point and those that ignore or do not lend any credence to his opinion are lost. Political Science is going through this debate as we speak with the quants having the upper hand, but data doesn't tell the whole story. 

If one wanted to highlight this point India and Bangladesh is a terrific case study. India's GDP and GNP are umpteenth times bigger than Bangladesh's, but Bangladeshis for whatever reason are living longer.

David Brooks wrote a terrific op-ed about this a few days ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/19/opinion/brooks-what-data-cant-do.html?_r=1&

Edited by Beetlebum