GDT: Rangers vs. Devils

snartly

It was meant to be a joke...sort of. If you want to be serious, I don't think you can say NJ and NY are the same. They're not. You can't just make a blanket statement like that. Hell, Chester is completely different from Parsippany, which is completely different from Nutley, which is completely different from Jersey City (and they are all northern NJ towns within 40 miles of each other).

The problem I have with a lot of people from NJ is that they play into the media stereotype about this state, hate on themselves, and openly wish they were from NY. NY'ers at least take pride in where they come from, no matter how misguided they may be. :P

I know they are different in some ways, but very alike in many ways. Even within the different sections there are differences and similarities. The south shore of Staten Island is VERY different that the North Shore. Same for Long Island. The most common thing of the people in the NY Metro area is most think the people of their section are far superior to the rest. My favorite is the argument over traffic. Traffic is terrible EVERYWHERE here, the difference is if you know your way around without the major parkways that get crowded. If you are going to LI you try to avoid the Belt from JFK out to exit 18 on the Southern State. If you are driving in Staten Island you avoid the Staten Island Expressway (278) and West Shore Expressway (440) as best you can.

I was at that game too and honestly, I do not buy the whole tired excuse. Tell that the all the previous hockey dynasties such as the Islanders who won 4 in a row. They played listless all season long and it was taken out on Robinson who was replaced by Constantine. It was apathetic play and honestly it was a team that was hungier that won that series.

A) Players make a lot more money now than they did even in the late 70's, early 80's, of course you're going to see more apathy. There's a reason no team's won more than two in a row in the last thirty years.

B) Teams also have to win more playoff games now than they did in the old days when there were dynasties.

C) A deeper talent pool and more sophisticated scouting and coaching have further increased parity.

So no, expecting a dynasty in this day and age is wrong. But I agree with the second part of your statement, that group was even more ornery and whiny than the '09-10 group was under Lemaire, and could have disintegrated if Lou had picked a different coach that offseason. I would have booed if I were there, but because of the lack of effort and the fact they got Larry fired, not because of the result itself.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Well Toronto won. That sucks. Rangers scored more than 3 again and won. Would ya look at that.

And now Ottawa won. Amazing how the feeling of this team changes just like that. Few days ago seemed like we were going to make a run now I'm feeling like the team isn't doing that well again. Guess I just gotta stay positive. Could be worse.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

In case you need yet more proof of how deep they are, Bickel (2nd NHL game) and Stralman (who obviously wasn't good enough for the Devils) both with asissts tonight.

Against the 2nd worst team in the league. Still not impressed by the Rags. Never will be. They could beat the Devils as many times as they want still doesn't mean much until the Devils are a top 5 team. Then I'd be worried.

Yeah, me too. The Kovy one was tough.

One that's not getting a lot of mention around here is Game 6 in 2002, against the 'Canes. Everyone gets that sixth sense feeling from time to time, where you know your team just doesn't have it...me and my wife had a great tailgate and were so psyched and ready to go, so excited...and just five minutes into that game, I looked at her and said, "They're getting shut out today. They have nothing." She told me I shouldn't be so negative, but sure enough, the Devils were shut out that game (1-0)...the fans really let the Devils have it over the last few minutes, as they had just been so lifeless on the ice from the opening faceoff. That one sucked for me...not in the same fist-in-the-stomach way of Game 7 against the 'Canes in '09, but it still blew just the same.

You could change a few words...that's basically how I felt in Game 5 of 2010. I was ready to go, ready to see a Game 6 and after like five minutes I knew it wasn't happening. Didn't help the Flyers scored early but still, you could tell they didn't want to skate that night either.

You could change a few words...that's basically how I felt in Game 5 of 2010. I was ready to go, ready to see a Game 6 and after like five minutes I knew it wasn't happening. Didn't help the Flyers scored early but still, you could tell they didn't want to skate that night either.

People say that all the time and sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't. Everyone only remembers the times they were right though.