So....how many Rangers Suck/Flyers Swallow chants tonight?

metallidevils

I agree, I have often thought how classless we must seem to other teams fans, if it's not pointless Rangers, and Flyers chants, then it is yelling sucks everytime a player is introduced. I guess the chanters think it is cool.

As for the noise meter, I have been a t a few games where the attendance was say a bit shy of 8,000, and when the noise meters come on, they also pipe crowd noise through the PA system, which is also pathetic.

chris

Edited by chrisg19

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I have often thought how classless we must seem to other teams fans, if it's not pointless Rangers, and Flyers chants, then it is yelling sucks everytime a player is introduced. I guess the chanters think it is cool.

In my opinion we are not that classless. I'm sure other teams' fans say suck when players are introduced, and we have much more class than the Rangers and Flyers fans. We don't have ads that change and move around to distract the other team during shootouts like the Islanders do, we don't show the ref and his name on the jumboscreen so all the fans can boo him when he makes a bad call like the Canes fans do, and we don't all stand up and scream in unison every time one of our players falls on the ice like the Canes and Canadiens fans do. When you look at the other teams around the league, we are really not that classless.

In my opinion we are not that classless. I'm sure other teams' fans say suck when players are introduced, and we have much more class than the Rangers and Flyers fans. We don't have ads that change and move around to distract the other team during shootouts like the Islanders do, we don't show the ref and his name on the jumboscreen so all the fans can boo him when he makes a bad call like the Canes fans do, and we don't all stand up and scream in unison every time one of our players falls on the ice like the Canes and Canadiens fans do. When you look at the other teams around the league, we are really not that classless.

true true... i was at a reading royals game out here... and (they sell out almost every game , mind you) they scream SUCKS every time a player is introduced

I don't find anything wrong with yelling 'sucks' after an opponents name is introduced...hell, I wouldnt have even minded a few 'Panters Suck!" (although I wouldnt have joined it) chants....at least it is RELEVANT to the damn game at hand.

And if they really do pump in crowd noise to the noisemeter...i guess that explains a lot then, lol

Who cares what people chant? As long as they are makng noise really, a bunch of drunken morons yelling is better than an arena that's completely quiet or empty imo

Baumann hasn't been consistently there in years. And even when he was there, it was only when they were winning when he'd do his thing. Baumann is so 1995 :)

Let them do the chant, it works.

Baumann has been there every game this year so far. It's funny - everytime the Powerplayers do the D-E-V-I-L-S chant, the 228/229 crew gets him to do his, and it's always 10x louder when Baumann does it.

The whole thing is kind of ironic. I thought the Devils actually asked him to STOP doing that a few years back? :noclue:

Who cares what people chant? As long as they are makng noise really, a bunch of drunken morons yelling is better than an arena that's completely quiet or empty imo

its a bunch of drunken morons that get the rest of the crowd to do it....because the more we hate the rangers, the better devils fans we are, right? So of course we should voice our displeasure against the rangers at every opportunity

Why would they ask that guy to stop doing the Devils chant? I really hate that guy they put on the video screen.

Edited by metallidevils

I like the rangers suck chant, builds some rivalry and gets people into the game. Its tradition and I think its hillarious, even more so when its done against teams that arnt the rangers.

Heh, I have to agree a bit with squishyx.

Only going to maybe 3 or 4 regular season games a year, being able to yell out 'Rangers Suck' once or twice is a fun novelty. I can feel for the season ticket holders though, it probably does get annoying every 10 minuets for 41 games.

But what are the alternatives? Yelling out team xxx sucks? Nothing? Making CAA (or possibly Newark) quieter? If there's a lull in the game I'm all for *something* to wake the crowd up. Charge in the defensive zone just can't pump me up.

Having a crowd initiated chant does bring a bit of intimacy into the building I think.

i can see how people love to do the chant (esspecially the drunk overshape ones) and even as a ranger fan i don't mind it reallu but please for the love of god IF YOU CAN'T WISTLE THEN DON'T START THE DAMN CHANT! i hate it when all the sudden you hear the DUH DUH DUH DUH...the ones who can acctually wistle usually only do it once a period. we sat in 225 for the hell of it saturday and i wanted to deck the loser behind me trying to make up his own chants...i have a lot of pet peeves

Two points, in light of the fact I just posted a new topic involving a "Rangers Suck" chant.

1. Don't like the chant? Don't chant along with it. It's stunning to think that anything a Devils crowd does that rises above waiting for something to happen on the ice to make noise can be bashed. Is it vulgar? Yes. Is it crude? Yes. Would it be better to forget about the Rangers and cheer for our own team? Sure, but that'll only happen when the Rangers are contracted. The bottom line is that they fit within the rebellious spirit of the franchise: just like we used "Devils hockey" to win three Cups before they were forced to change the rules to conteract it, we stole the most identified cheer from an Original Six team and made it our own -- at their expense.

2. Mad props to the poster who stated the "no whistle, no chant" rule. Let's get Triple H and Burt Reynolds to make that a Man Law.

<JESTER>

I like the Rangers suck chant. I go to a decent amount of games (10-15 a year) and it never grows old for me. The main reason that I do it is this...

Ranger fans are ALWAYS at Devils games. Even when we're not playing them. They come with their jersey's, they get drunk, obnoxious, and root for any team but the Devils (first Flyers game we had, a Ranger fan in our section was cheering for the Flyers. The Flyer fans around kept telling him that it was embarassing he was rooting for them). Sometimes they'll come without any colors and make smart ass remarks under their breath. I chant it because I want THEM to be reminded.

Also, people who don't come to games often and hear it, think it's hysterical. They have to practice before they come to a Devils/Rangers game, no? :)

the crowd gets SO LOUD when they put that noisemeter up...especially when they play sandman along with it...in all seriousness they should do that noisemeter between every faceoff, its the only thing that gets the crowd going

That's because it's fake cheering...if you want artificial cheering throughout the game, then sure, but otherwise it's merely pumped in.

Rangers Suck is a Tradition that Devils have done for years, HEY the Rangers still do Potvin sucks!..........I do not get involved in "Flyers Swallow" Espacailly when i here 8 year old girls yell it over and over again, that is not right.

Well, at least one person in this thread seems to get the distinction.

Saying "Rangers Suck" is common parlance for "Rangers Stink". If some of us take that as a veiled blow job reference, so be it. I don't have to explain it to my kid. But once you add the "Flyers Swallow", well, you're no longer being clever. It's a crude reference that my kid shouldn't have to learn at four or five years old -- and rest assured, he'll ask.

As a wise man once said, "it's a fine line between stupid and clever..."

- Jeff

Edited by jsonnabend

I never take "suck" to be sexual. I think of it deriving from "suck wind" --

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=suck+wind

v. (1) To be left in the dust, as in a race or other competition.

(2) Can also be used in the general sense meaning to suck or to lose.

(3) To remove something's momentum (usually in combination with "out of their sails").

(4) A negative dismissal in the tradition of fvck off or go to hell, but without the obscenity.

(1) That last hill on the cross country course left me sucking wind as I watched everybody pass me.

(2) This traffic sucks wind.

(3) He was going to go straight down into the avalanche zone for the camera, but the ski patrol guy sucked the wind right out of his sails.

(4) Oh yeah? Well, tell them to go suck wind.

sucking hind teet is also an expression meaning bottom of the barrel.

I actually don't think of it as sucking either... I mean even when I think suck the mighty moose cock - suck monkey nuts... :noclue: how do I NOT think of that as sucking in that sense? :giggle: I'm just seeking a way to make it profane but I'm not thinking about the actual meaning! I am not normal though am I?

Suck the Mighty Moose Cock? LMFAO

Two points, in light of the fact I just posted a new topic involving a "Rangers Suck" chant.

1. Don't like the chant? Don't chant along with it. It's stunning to think that anything a Devils crowd does that rises above waiting for something to happen on the ice to make noise can be bashed. Is it vulgar? Yes. Is it crude? Yes. Would it be better to forget about the Rangers and cheer for our own team? Sure, but that'll only happen when the Rangers are contracted. The bottom line is that they fit within the rebellious spirit of the franchise: just like we used "Devils hockey" to win three Cups before they were forced to change the rules to conteract it, we BORROWED the most identified cheer from an Original Six team and made it our own -- at their expense. Because we can't be original.

Corrected.

1. Don't like the chant? Don't chant along with it. It's stunning to think that anything a Devils crowd does that rises above waiting for something to happen on the ice to make noise can be bashed. Is it vulgar? Yes. Is it crude? Yes. Would it be better to forget about the Rangers and cheer for our own team? Sure, but that'll only happen when the Rangers are contracted. The bottom line is that they fit within the rebellious spirit of the franchise: just like we used "Devils hockey" to win three Cups before they were forced to change the rules to conteract it, we stole the most identified cheer from an Original Six team and made it our own -- at their expense.

2. Mad props to the poster who stated the "no whistle, no chant" rule. Let's get Triple H and Burt Reynolds to make that a Man Law.

<JESTER>

Thanks Jester. :D

but i have to disagree...if the Rangers were defunket, they'd still do the chants.

i love the sounds of any cheering in the arena, it would be better is it was FOR the devils and not the team they're playing (or some random team) but i guess as long as the players hear some noise

• 2 weeks later...