Offical Devils vs Rangers thread

#9Delieve

Not going to be an issue. Talk will be about the Rangers being the first team to advance to the Finals after playing 7-gamers in each of the first 2 rounds.

They were only a "bad defensive team" because we beat them. No one will mention the fact that we completely shut down their lethal offense and power play. If we do beat the Rangers, the pundits will blame the two game sevens...

It's a lose-lose, but who cares, when you're a Devils fan. I sure don't. 3 Cups in my lifetime are way better than getting a nice writeup on ESPN or NHL.com...

No, they were a terrible defensive team. They were terrible defensively in their win over the Pens.

Edited by Matteau#32

No, they were a terrible defensive team. They were terrible defensively in their win over the Pens.

Yeah, everyone knew the Flyers were just Godawful defensively. That's why absolutely everyone thought they were gonna roll over NJ.

hindsight2.jpg

Yeah, everyone knew the Flyers were just Godawful defensively. That's why absolutely everyone thought they were gonna roll over NJ.

Most Ranger fans I know are like Matteau#32, in that they're insanely biased, and are going to be minimally objective at best. I have friends who are Ranger fans that I can't even watch games with for that very reason...every time a Ranger is touched, it should be a penalty, etc. Clearly M#32 thinks the Devils aren't much of a match for the Rangers, and with the way Lundqvist has played against them, I get that to an extent, but he seems to be writing off the Devils rather easily.

The only two things I'm going to ask of Matteau#32, should his team lose this series:

1) Don't disappear.

2) Don't use fatigue as an excuse, since you said yourself that fatigue will not be a factor, and have completely dismissed the history of how poorly prior teams that have won their first and second round in seven games have fared in the Conference Final round.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I do think that nobody advancing after going 14 games in the first 2 rounds means less now than it did in the past. In the past the talent level between the good and the bad teams was much larger than today, so if it took you 14 games the dispatch 2 teams it probably meant you weren't very good and your round 3 opponent was going to be much better than you. Now that the talent levels are so even, you can be just as good as your round 3 opponent and take 14 games to win rounds 1 and 2. So I think, with the salary cap, this stat means much less than it once did.

Nobody here should be talking up the, "two seven games series, third round elimination stat." We have way more positives to this team than needing to stoop there to explain why we can win this series.

Also...

NJDNYRheadtohead.jpg

thoughts?

Edited by ben00rs

Most Ranger fans I know are like Matteau#32, in that they're insanely biased, and are going to be minimally objective at best. I have friends who are Ranger fans that I can't even watch games with for that very reason...every time a Ranger is touched, it should be a penalty, etc. Clearly M#32 thinks the Devils aren't much of a match for the Rangers, and with the way Lundqvist has played against them, I get that to an extent, but he seems to be writing off the Devils rather easily.

The only two things I'm going to ask of Matteau#32, should his team lose this series:

1) Don't disappear.

2) Don't use fatigue as an excuse, since you said yourself that fatigue will not be a factor, and have completely dismissed the history of how poorly prior teams that have won their first and second round in seven games have fared in the Conference Final round.

Didn't say the Devils aren't a match, just said the Rangers will win. Secondly, I am not the type to moan about calls non-calls. Over the course of a game/series/season they generally even out. Only way you will see me use fatigue as an excuse is if it is obvious the Rangers have nothing yet. Don't think that will be the case. Rangers are one of the younger teams in the league, their D is young and their conditioning has been top notch from what I have seen this year. But, like I said, won't need to make excuses after the Rangers victory.

I agree with everything but the coaching. DeBoer has done a great job.

I think they have both done excellent jobs. They have both devised game plans that work for the talent of the players, which is the most important thing to do in sports.

Agreed. The defense is a close call though. Where the Rangers block many more shots we forecheck a lot better.

They broke it down as forwards and defense, though, rather than offense and defense. I think they have better defensemen and we have better forwards. The forecheck from the forwards is a big part of our defense, but their defensemen as a unit our better than ours.

They broke it down as forwards and defense, though, rather than offense and defense. I think they have better defensemen and we have better forwards. The forecheck from the forwards is a big part of our defense, but their defensemen as a unit our better than ours.

I mean, I'm not sure. I think they are underestimating how good guys like Bryce Salvador and Andy Greene have been.

I can only hope the Rangers players are starting to buy into their own hype as much as their fans are and as much as the local pundits are.

All day i've been hearing how they'll either sweep us or win in 5 games, that the Senators and Caps are beters teams than the Devils, that Lundqvist can never be beaten by the Devils in the playoffs etc etc.

Most Rangers fans are like a combination of bandwagon Jets and Yankees fans rolled into one.

I was talking with my neighbor down the street. He's from Northern Wisconsin and he said he used to play high school hockey against guys from Shadyac St. Marie's like Zach Parise. He's a Kings fan and he's pulling for the Devils. Oh, and he says Lundqvist is overrated.

I can only hope the Rangers players are starting to buy into their own hype as much as their fans are and as much as the local pundits are.

All day i've been hearing how they'll either sweep us or win in 5 games, that the Senators and Caps are beters teams than the Devils, that Lundqvist can never be beaten by the Devils in the playoffs etc etc.

Most Rangers fans are like a combination of bandwagon Jets and Yankees fans rolled into one.

I wouldn't count on that, but a lot of rangers fans are getting ahead of themselves. My thinking is if the Rangers win tonight, they win in 5. Devils win tonight, rangers in 6.