Italy Vs United States Sat 6/16/06

LOTCB

ahh ok i thought we were talking about Pope, didnt see your other post.

I think the Mastroeni red card is why people are so upset about Pope. Not that Pope's isn't deserved in any other situation, just, coming on top of what happened with Mastroeni, it's like the coupe de grace. However, I tend to look at it this way, Pope should have known he was going to get no slack. I agree, the ref totally blew the Mastroeni red card, but it was clear by the time Pope got the red (which was really a second yellow) that he was going to get called.

the game ends in a tie so USA gets a point the easiest way to get into the next round is:

USA beats Ghana

Italy beats the Czech Republic

Yep that's really the most feasible way to advance.

If Italy and the Czechs draw, the Czechs would have four points and the US has to beat Ghana by like four or five goals to beat the Czechs on goal difference (currently Italy's +2 in goal difference, the Czechs are +1 and the US is -3). If the Czechs win, Italy would remain at four points and their margin of defeat and the US's margin of victory combined have to equal five or six goals for the US to beat Italy on goal difference.

So essentially a tie or a one goal Czech victory would be the worst thing that could happen in the Italy-Czech game, but nothing in that game eliminates us per se...still, root for Italy - that's the best scenario. And they'll both play to win, nobody (other than the US) wants to play Brazil in the next round.

In any case, bravo to the US, they had a point to prove and they did, draw or not :clap: With one disclaimer: Now they have to beat Ghana and make this game stick no matter what happens in the other game and throw off the monkey of never winning a World Cup game in Europe, even if Ghana isn't a European team.

Figures that this referee had already been suspended from the previous World Cup because of 'irregularities' :rolleyes:

Edited by Hasan4978

Im late to comment but i'll give it a try. Anyone who's played soccer at any level knows that after a direct red card has been given to the other team you better be a good school boy cause you know the make up is coming -- how Mastroeni fouls that way on a stupid ball at the '44 is beyond me. Pope was an easy call - rewind the 1 half he fouled hard at least 5 times after he was given the 1st yellow and was pardoned repeatedly.

We played too innocently too childishly in the first half - this is the World Cup, if you cant make passes and constantly give the ball away you arent winning any games.

The second half was a badge of honor for the team and perhaps the beginning of good things for team USA.

Donovan should have the C on this team - Reina doesnt deserve it anymore - and like the spanish host said after Keller made that huge save, gimme an 8x10 for the den and a wallet size to carry around :P

Italy has nothing and is going nowhere, add them to the list that includes England -Germany -France .. how sad

Ive had my fill of soccer. Wake me up when the tourney is not in Europe.

Crap born in National Pride !

Don't be paranoid when your team "loose" or don't be help by the referee...

There is no Anti-USA system or stupid statement like this...

The 3 red cards yesterday was LOGICAL (De rossi was a stupid player who deserved a long suspension & Mastrioni hits very hard Pirlo's hankle and he deserved the red !)

USA were na

Im late to comment but i'll give it a try. Anyone who's played soccer at any level knows that after a direct red card has been given to the other team you better be a good school boy cause you know the make up is coming -- how Mastroeni fouls that way on a stupid ball at the '44 is beyond me. Pope was an easy call - rewind the 1 half he fouled hard at least 5 times after he was given the 1st yellow and was pardoned repeatedly.

We played too innocently too childishly in the first half - this is the World Cup, if you cant make passes and constantly give the ball away you arent winning any games.

The second half was a badge of honor for the team and perhaps the beginning of good things for team USA.

Donovan should have the C on this team - Reina doesnt deserve it anymore - and like the spanish host said after Keller made that huge save, gimme an 8x10 for the den and a wallet size to carry around :P

Italy has nothing and is going nowhere, add them to the list that includes England -Germany -France .. how sad

I disagree with you ElD. DeRossi 's elbow was a flagrant, deserved red........Maestronni was a yellow, plain and simple. There is NO "make up call" after that flagrant an elbow......doesn't happen. This referee was terrible. Pope's initial yellow was a terrible warning also.......the replay showed he was the one getting fouled in the first place, and he gets a warning.....therefore his second one was undeserved. Onyewu was the one fouling hard in the first half. Pope's better days are behind him....but boy was he good in his day.

The US was the MUCH better squad yesterday. Now I am actually rooting for hte Italians, as much as I hate to admit it.

The red cards were bad. Maybe only one was legit. The 2nd was a makeup call. And the third was a joke.

I disagree with you ElD. DeRossi 's elbow was a flagrant, deserved red........Maestronni was a yellow, plain and simple. There is NO "make up call" after that flagrant an elbow......doesn't happen. This referee was terrible. Pope's initial yellow was a terrible warning also.......the replay showed he was the one getting fouled in the first place, and he gets a warning.....therefore his second one was undeserved. Onyewu was the one fouling hard in the first half. Pope's better days are behind him....but boy was he good in his day.

The US was the MUCH better squad yesterday. Now I am actually rooting for hte Italians, as much as I hate to admit it.

Yeah Jimmy. That's how I saw it. Regardless, the US needs a win over Ghana and hope for Italy to beat the Czech Republic.

Few things And I'm really late to the party.. watched the US game.. but ws sick as a dog most of the weekend...

Beasley is the laziest bastard i have seen, would not upset me if he did not play another minute!!

Arena needed to get Mcbride off the field at the 75 minute mark.. he had nothing left...

The MAstrioni card was terrible!! he was less then 1 second late on a tackle to tet ehe ball.. yellow yes.. red.. No F'in WAY!!!

Make -up call??? I thought make up calls are when a ref makes a mistake... there was no mistake.. Mcbride got bloodied by an elbow tot he face.. and if we are doing make ups where was the make up call on Pope???

And what really hurst is Mastrioni was the best layer on the field, and now he cannot play v Ghana...

That was crap. Reyna was wacked, Ghana should not have been able to profit from that.

EDIT: Not over yet. Nice pass by Beasley. And Italy doing their part leading the Czechs 1-0 late in the first half.

EDIT2: This is a farce. No way was that a penalty shot. To paraphrase Mark Cuban "The World Cup is fixed".

Edited by PeteyNice

As usual during World cup... Referee doesn't have the ability to be correct !

The good side is that every team is involved... no team is really protect by referee (maybe germany... a little... but not sure)

It's not AWFUL but it's too bad...

Disgraceful by the US, not just today but in the tournament as a whole. USA Soccer took a step forward in 2002 and took two steps back this year. Watching the end of this game the US team has Devils PP syndrome. Instead of just shooting when the opportunity presents itself they pass off looking for the perfect opportunity.

Hopefully there will be big changes at USA Soccer after this. In some ways this was worse than 1998 with all of the hype this team got in the media.