GDT New Jersey Devils vs. Ottawa Sans 1PM MSG

ZeroGravityFat

The Devils aren't entitled to goals on 10% of shots - finally they play against a goalie playing well and getting the breaks.  Defensive zone and neutral zone were somewhat of an adventure, hopefully the two days off mean some practice time and tightening up the leaks.  I don't think they played as bad as people are saying - Devils could've easily blown them out after the first period.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As with any loss, there's always a twinge of disappointment because you want your team to win. However, we still got a point on the board and every point counts towards getting into the playoffs. I'm pretty happy with how this season is working itself out at the moment.

As with any loss, there's always a twinge of disappointment because you want your team to win. However, we still got a point on the board and every point counts towards getting into the playoffs. I'm pretty happy with how this season is working itself out at the moment.

I agree.  A point is a point.  They didn't play to deserve two points, but if we would have dropped 4 points, I'd be more pissed.  But like you said, this season is starting off great.  We are tied for first in our division which I think is awesome.  We are now fourth in the conference which is even more awesome because it's showing people that we can lose guys and not skip a beat.  We are proving to the doubters.  I'm glad the next game isn't until Thursday.  Gives them time to rest, work on what needs to be worked and learn from previous mistakes.

yes. and thats precisely why he's not the best player or even close anymore. the whole world know what he's gonna do with the puck.

Oh he definitely isn't what he was, but that may be more of a motivation issue. What I mean is that every player is predictable if you watch him often enough. Parise had basically 3 shootout moves. That sweet lifting backhand, the one where he faked the backhand and went around to the forehand instead, and sometimes he'd try to sneak it five hole on a wrist shot. Every goalie knew that. But he still scored a ton of shootout goals.

Just using shooting as an example.... when Kovy got that shot against Tampa shorthanded last week, every one in the building knew he was going glove side. The goalie knew it too. But he still did it and scored clean. That's what makes him an elite shooter. If you don't like the Ovechkin example, than use Corey Perry, or Malkin or even the best players you play with when you play hockey. A lot of times you know what they plan on doing, and they still pull it off. They all have their favorite moves and little tricks.

An opposite example would be the Clark-around. Everyone knows it's coming.... and it's almost never going in.

I'm glad they picked up a point, but the frustrating part of it is that we shouldn't be losing to the Sens, especially minus Spezza (who turns into Gretzky against us) and Karlsson.

Otherwise given the season as a whole so far, I can live with this result.

Just watched the game. Marty deserved a lot better, he carried them to the point. The Devils skaters were fairly uninspiring to watch today. Hoping Carter is ok after he got crunched. As usual Neil plays like the piece of sh!t he is the entire game, was hoping Barch would be able to have a go at him earlier in the contest. Loktionov didn't have a great game but I won't get on him since it was his debut.

The refs annoyed me at the end of regulation. Somehow Ottawa gets a PP because Elias bumps a Senator into the net and Bishop falls to the ice like he was shot. Clarkson and Neil get ejected for controlling themselves rather than fighting and causing more chaos. Seriously, what the fvck.

Lokti wasn't amazing but he did have a great pass to Elias from behind the net. Seemed like a great chance but the shot was blocked. I thought we were getting one there.

Although many of his passes were just off his vision looked great. He had the right idea on many plays. He would have had an assist if Patty could have buried that empty net. Great play by the kid to pick pocket that Senator and make a quick feed to Patty.

My goodness Salvador is bad.

Man, but what's to be done?  Did Larry find some secret and now it's lost forever?  Are we just to be left speechless? He's our Captain .. based on one decent season adn solid playoff run after some pretty tragic playoff no-shows.  Who DID that?  Who thought it would be a good idea? I never felt he turned a corner...

I blame Pete's tie.

Seriously though, Captain Salvador is barely present, Henrique's game has been off, Zajac looks like he loses his legs after a period, and the energy of the entire team has been beyond flat since the Penguins miniseries. Who is going to step up and lead this team with energy?

Gionta may be small and ineffective but that line is the only one that looks like they are skating with all they have consistently.

Faceoffs continue to be a major problem. And Gionta's inability to win any is a problem. I wish Gionta would suddenly evolve into a great player, because I am rooting for him and I like him, but it's just not happening. JJ needs to get back here, and I hope no-wing Loki shows me a lot more than what he did today so we can fill out our centers.

I...hate to say the team misses the body of Zubrus. That guy may not be able to score but he certainly keeps the forecheck going.

Edited by Cowutopia

That's not really fair. Every team in the league has a system (ok, maybe not Columbus) that has strengths and weaknesses. Also, if you watch any player long enough, you'll be able to predict for the most part what will try to do. We are all just used to Kovy and what he does. I'm sure there are Washington fans that know exactly what Ovechkin is going to do most plays.

Hey now, Columbus absolutely has a system! It is akin to those old vibrating footbal games where you put your players in place and line them up. Then, when you turn it on, they all go in random directions. Once the puck drops the CBJs have the "vibrating board/every man for himself system". The strength of this system is that you never know what they're going to do. The weakness is that it is very difficult to get their little plastic players to work as a team.... and they really can't take a hit at all.

This is the kind of dangerous thinking that's letting me down lately. The games vs. Penguins and Flyers and Rangers that I think are going to be a struggle end up being a Devils' win, in some cases blowouts. And then the games like the Islanders or Senators or Carolina, we just don't show up for.

We should be beating everyone below 8th place, no questions asked. This next 6 day stretch is either going to be amazing for us (anyone would bet on the Devils getting 5-6 points), or it could be a cause of concern (imagine losing 2 of 3 games vs. Washington or Winnipeg). We need to wake up and play our game every night. We don't have too many uptempo rivalry matchups coming up anytime soon, which is all we seem to get up for. Time to start beating the bottom feeders the way we're expected to.

We should be padding up our points before what's going to be a really long and difficult half of March and April. You can see right now by looking at the standings how important a good long stretch is. We're still looking great in the conference based on our first two weeks.

In bold:  that's oversimplified fanspeak, right up there with "we need to play 60 minutes", and "the Devils need to get up for every game, no matter who the opponent." 

Bad teams or mediocre teams beat "better" teams often...it's hardly an unheard of occurance.  No matter how good a team is, every team will lose to some "should beat on paper"-type teams along the way.  It happens.  And the problem with this way of thinking is that fans who speak in absolutes such as "We should be bearing everyone below 8th place" don't tend to look at the other side of the coin, when their team exceeds expectations.  Beating Pittsburgh in a home-and-home is a big deal.  Should that have been expected?  I think most of us would've been happy with 2 or 3 points, and the Devils took all 4, and cleanly at that...no charity points for Pitt.   

9-3-4 is still a terrific start.  They got off to an 8-1-3 start...there was going to be some kind of a downturn eventually.   

In bold:  that's oversimplified fanspeak, right up there with "we need to play 60 minutes", and "the Devils need to get up for every game, no matter who the opponent." 

Bad teams or mediocre teams beat "better" teams often...it's hardly an unheard of occurance.  No matter how good a team is, every team will lose to some "should beat on paper"-type teams along the way.  It happens.  And the problem with this way of thinking is that fans who speak in absolutes such as "We should be bearing everyone below 8th place" don't tend to look at the other side of the coin, when their team exceeds expectations.  Beating Pittsburgh in a home-and-home is a big deal.  Should that have been expected?  I think most of us would've been happy with 2 or 3 points, and the Devils took all 4, and cleanly at that...no charity points for Pitt.   

9-3-4 is still a terrific start.  They got off to an 8-1-3 start...there was going to be some kind of a downturn eventually.   

thats true when you take a step back but whats worrying me it that when we lose it's not that the other team has been better, it's that we played miserably and never showed up, thats a concern.

EXACTLY Rockies!!  - when there is a downturn which of course there always is, you need to keep calm and not say I KNEW we sucked too bad to be winning!  and then proceed to wheel spin and make panic moves.  I don't see the team doing this but this board's fan base sure as shootin' wants them to.

Blind winning = dangerous  Mindful winning = duh?  Always good.

These are mindful wins and far from surprise losses.

Edited by Pepperkorn

thats true when you take a step back but whats worrying me it that when we lose it's not that the other team has been better, it's that we played miserably and never showed up, thats a concern.

This is just what 76 talked about - that's just not how hockey works.  There's two teams on the ice, not one, just because you're not watching one doesn't mean they're not there.  The Devils aren't significantly outplaying opponents because truth be told, they're not much better than them.