Your thought on today / about the team so far ?

SterioDesign

That's what I thought but I wouldn't have thought Kovy would be on a line firing at 60% since he's not the best corsi player. The zone start confused me because what's the 53%? Is that the total amount of faceoffs?

No, it's zone start.  I would jam up a Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus line with 40% ZS myself - no need to use Ryder that way.  If they wanted to go Elias-Zajac-Zubrus this line would get 40% ZS.

looking at this (and lets say we're signing Brunner) is making you realize that we have a pretty young team with lots of player in their prime age.Only a few 30+

Elias (37) - Zajac (28) - Ryder (33)
Clowe (30) - Loktionov (23) - Brunner (27)
Henrique (23) - Josefson (22) - Zubrus (35)
Olesz (27) - Carter (29) -Bernier (28)

Tedenby (23) - Gionta (29) - Boucher (19)

Larsson (20) - Greene (30)

Fayne (26) - Salvador (37)

Volchenkov (31) - Zidlicky (36)

Harrold (30)

Gelinas (22) - Urbom (22)

Merril (21) - Severson (18)

Brodeur (41)

Schneider (27)

Do not get me wrong, losing Kovalchuk is a massive blow to the Devils in terms of offensive production & game changing ability but some Devil fans and alot of other NHL fans all of a sudden act like the Devils are the new Panthers.

We still have a solid defensive core, Marty now has an elite goalie in Schnedier as a goalie partner, and although the Devils aren't the best offensive team they are still chalk full of defensively sound, experienced, 2 way forwards.

Look losing Clarkson (lets say 20 goals on avg.) and Kovalchuk (35 avg.) is losing about 50-60 goals relastically. Factor in that Zajac/Clowe are coming off "off" years and the Devils adding goal scorers/offensively minded players like Ryder (atleast 20-25 goals) and Brunner (atleast 15ish) the difference will be made up.

Maybe I'm just denying the fact that the Devils are a horrible team, but I truly believe with upgraded goaltending, a new "all team" mentality (no superstar anymore just a team), and guys like Brunner/Ryder + Zajac/Henrique/Clowe coming off "off" years the Devils will be as competitive as hell.

Its not like all of a sudden Zajac, Elias, Henrique, Zubrus, Clowe, etc. are an easy forward group to beat up on. They are responisble both ways and have that grinding gear.

More then ever this group will have to be a team. The support of this team isn't a single stand in the middle anymore its many different stands surrounding the table.

If the Devils do not sign Brunner or Jagr, here is what we're looking at:

Elias-Zajac-Ryder

Henrique-Loktionov-Clowe

Olesz-Josefson-Zubrus

Tedenby/Carter-Carter/Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Larsson

Salvador-Fayne

Volchenkov-Zidlicky

Brodeur

Schneider

It isn't flashy, but a breakout season from Zajac, Henrique, Josefson, Loktionov, or even Olesz (wishful thinking maybe, I know) could make things look a lot better. And honestly, I don't mind it. But regardless, signing one more forward seems to be what we need.

On another note, Loktionov has made it clear that the KHL was an option for him during his LA days. I really hope he won't follow Kovalchuk over there.

Edited by nessus

the problem is that...  we know our players and have a tendencies to overate them, of course they are all "solid versatile NHL player" ... but look at our roster on paper and compare it with most of the other teams. Thats when you realize that were not is as much a good situation that you think, we dont have much player who can take a game all by themselves or gamebreakers. 

lets just hope the guys play as a team and play the system well cause you can still win that way but we lost a lot of skills and heart in the last few years its definitely gonna hurt im afraid. But at the same time you have good looking roster on paper who cant do sh!t, so we'll see i guess

I don't think I'm overrating them. I'm not saying they're going to the finals this year either, but for people to say that the Devils are one of the best teams in the league with Kovalchuk, and not even making the playoffs without him is a bit ridiculous. Teams with solid goaltending and defense but not much firepower can still be successful. This year, I think we're improving on defense, too.

With the current roster, I'm not exactly expecting many 60+ point players, but there are definitely some guys who could break 50. Is that unrealistic?

But if you think the team is hopeless now, Brunner or Jagr or whoever else could be had through free agency will not save it.

Edited by nessus

Defense and goaltending are better to have than offense in the 2-1-0 loser point NHL because NJ can play a bunch of 1-1 games that go to OT and they can end up with extra points as a result.

It's possible that Kovalchuk acted as a bit of a defensive forward because of his ability to break the puck out and keep it away from the opposition, so we'll see about that - he might've been unwittingly suppressing the opposition's shots (even as he was definitely suppressing his own team's)

Still not that worried about his loss.  Yeah, he had 5-10 games a year where he was by far the best player on the ice.  He also had 40 where he wasn't close to being that.  

I hate doing this because a lot of goal scoring relies on luck, linemates, etc. But I'm going to take a stab at this:

Ryder (~ 30)

Elias/Henrique/Brunner (~20)

Zajac/Clowe/Zubrus (~15)

Bernier/Loktionov/Carter/Josefson (~10)

Adding that up and then giving them another 10 from Olesz and Gionta combined, totals 185 from the forwards. I also believe I am shortchanging some forwards like Elias and Clowe.

Compare that to 2011-2012 when our forwards scored exactly 200 goals. Not exactly a huge difference and I believe we have a more offensive minded defense than we did a couple of years ago. Combine that with a .920 from Schneider and I see no reason why we cant make the playoffs

Edited by SMantzas

I don't think I'm overrating them. I'm not saying they're going to the finals this year either, but for people to say that the Devils are one of the best teams in the league with Kovalchuk, and not even making the playoffs without him is a bit ridiculous. Teams with solid goaltending and defense but not much firepower can still be successful. This year, I think we're improving on defense, too.

With the current roster, I'm not exactly expecting many 60+ point players, but there are definitely some guys who could break 50. Is that unrealistic?

But if you think the team is hopeless now, Brunner or Jagr or whoever else could be had through free agency will not save it.

Which is why holding out for a star signing in the next year or two might be the only legitimate answer to the retirement

I hate doing this because a lot of goal scoring relies on luck, linemates, etc. But I'm going to take a stab at this:

Ryder (~ 30)

Elias/Henrique/Brunner (~20)

Zajac/Clowe/Zubrus (~15)

Bernier/Loktionov/Carter/Josefson (~10)

Adding that up and then giving them another 10 from Olesz and Gionta combined, totals 185 from the forwards. I also believe I am shortchanging some forwards like Elias and Clowe.

Compare that to 2011-2012 when our forwards scored exactly 200 goals. Not exactly a huge difference and I believe we have a more offensive minded defense than we did a couple of years ago. Combine that with a .920 from Schneider and I see no reason why we cant make the playoffs

i like what you did here... with this team as long as everyone can click and fall into place together well i dont see why it doesnt seem like it will be productive to people?... if everyone connects with one another i think he can have a succesful season.. still have to wait and see who else we are going to get we have alot of new faces on this team for this next season

I gotta say if we can sign brunner and raymond or just one or the other i will be VERY excited for this yr. The team will be worlds better than they were last year even without that commy on the team. I wouldnt mind picking up dan cleary if we missed out on raymond. But brunner would be a big signing that this team could really use.

Im also not sure how you can plug josefson in for 10+ goals. he'll be lucky to make this team if we sign anymore NHLers

If we sign Brunner, Grabovski, Raymond or Boyes, I am a lot more excited about team than I was two weeks ago.  I think we are starting to get back to the basics of winning hockey.  Better goaltending, better defense, and much more competitive upfront now that we are looking to go back to rolling four lines.   I am really excited for next season.

I am looking into re-newing my season tickets that I cancelled the past few years.     

The way I see it, we have a big gap at RW

LW                       RW                        C

Elias                     Ryder                    Zajac

Tedenby               Zubrus                  Henrique

Clowe                  Bernier                  Loktionov

Carter                                                Gionta

Olesz                                                 Josefson

Barch

So if we ever do end up signing Brunner, or we end up trading for a scoring RW a la Stewart, we can have a decent top 6 with a real solid bottom 6 that can fill in on a scoring role. We'll still have to be a scoring by committee team but those are the teams that win cups anyway. (Optimism)

The way I see it, we have a big gap at RW

LW                       RW                        C

Elias                     Ryder                    Zajac

Tedenby               Zubrus                  Henrique

Clowe                  Bernier                  Loktionov

Carter                                                Gionta

Olesz                                                 Josefson

Barch

So if we ever do end up signing Brunner, or we end up trading for a scoring RW a la Stewart, we can have a decent top 6 with a real solid bottom 6 that can fill in on a scoring role. We'll still have to be a scoring by committee team but those are the teams that win cups anyway. (Optimism)

Henrique should really be on the wing and not a center IMO.

Henrique should really be on the wing and not a center IMO.

I could see that happening, I would only do it if Elias moves back to center though, imagine a line of :

Clowe-Elias-Ryder

Then again, keeping Henrique as a pivot so that we have a high scoring center isn't the worst thing in the world. I think with the right linemates Henrique can score 30 goals, he was on pace for 22 last year if it was a full season. Not many teams have a center who can score 30.

Edited by Devs4LIFE

This team is horrible offensively and nobody really wants to admit it.  To win games you have to score goals and create quality scoring opportunities in excess.  The D is the same D we've had.  Goaltending is tbd.  Offensively... we suck!  After the first game Kovy missed in the streak I commented on how bad this team was without him and got lambasted.  The team went on to lose 10 in a row.  Lou has to make a huge trade to fix this mess on offense.  Ryder has been a pretty good scorer on other teams but how bad will the Devils' scoring curse hit him?  We need a difference maker and we have nothing close.  Lou is going to have pie all over his face when this team finishes in the lottery without a lottery pick.  Something must be done now.  Status quo will not get it done!  Some favorites are probably going to have to go to get it done.  But, if Lou is serious about being competitive this year he needs to make a big play!

I LIKE this team right now, its much better than last year.  I think the kids will get the playing time this year to elevate their game.

I expect a lot out of Josefson and from what I am reading about Matteau he is supposedly ready to make the big team and contribute.     I am hoping Lou can get one more wing Brunner, Grabovski or Raymond.   And I think we are set.

Except Henrique was awful last year, and looked completely out of place at times without Zach and Kovy on his wings.  Granted, he had quite a bit of bad luck, or so it seemed, but still.  I think 30 goals is completely unrealistic.    

This team doesn't excite me offensively right now - if you'd like to call Clarkson and Clowe a wash (which is generous for Clowe), then this team lost 70ish goals on the wings between Kovy and Parise the past two years, and have replaced that production with Ryder (who I expect scores around 20).  

I expect Zajac to be less...useless this season, but hoping and praying one of the youngsters can make up that difference is a stretch.  Who honestly expects Teddy to stick?  And I think 15-20-35 would be great seasons for Josefson and Lokti.

This team needs another scorer.  Doesn't have to be (and most likely won't be) a star player.  But just someone who can score some goals.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I LIKE this team right now, its much better than last year.  I think the kids will get the playing time this year to elevate their game.

I expect a lot out of Josefson and from what I am reading about Matteau he is supposedly ready to make the big team and contribute.     I am hoping Lou can get one more wing Brunner, Grabovski or Raymond.   And I think we are set.

If Matteau can contribute that would be HUGE. The problem is, I liked his game best, from at least what we saw last year when he was on a line with Kovy. And I'm pretty sure Zajac centered that line, so you had two great forwards on a line with him to allow him to play his game to the fullest and not worry about mistakes. So what do we do this year? Put him on a top line with Trav and Elais? Or do you throw him on a third with Josefson, a good playmaker, albeit, but still a fairly inexperienced NHL center.

Except Henrique was awful last year, and looked completely out of place at times without Zach and Kovy on his wings.  Granted, he had quite a bit of bad luck, or so it seemed, but still.  I think 30 goals is completely unrealistic.    

This team doesn't excite me offensively right now - if you'd like to call Clarkson and Clowe a wash (which is generous for Clowe), then this team lost 70ish goals on the wings between Kovy and Parise the past two years, and have replaced that production with Ryder (who I expect scores around 20).  

I expect Zajac to be less...useless this season, but hoping and praying one of the youngsters can make up that difference is a stretch.  Who honestly expects Teddy to stick?  And I think 15-20-35 would be great seasons for Josefson and Lokti.

This team needs another scorer.  Doesn't have to be (and most likely won't be) a star player.  But just someone who can score some goals.

If we can add a top 6 winger this team will have a good amount of depth. I think Tedenby can make the team this year, the opportunity is there, he's done his time in the minors, the way I see it the only person holding him back is himself. If he can put on some weight this offseason I really don't see why he can't make the team. He has the skill and the passion. He just needs some fine tuning and a top 6 scoring role, which is available for the taking.

Also as far as Henrique goes, yeah he had a pretty lackluster season last year but I accredit that to a sophomore slump, he'll be back in form this year.

• Like 1