Rumor from Russian hockey writer: Kovy considering staying in KHL

JWomp

with all those statements coming out and hearing Kovy himself not re-assuring that he doesnt know 100% if he'll be back... scaring the sh!t out of me, real nervous now

but LETS SAY he would indeed walk... do you think Bettman would be kind enough to give us back our first round pick considering the situation? serious question.

You're understandbly nervous but I wouldn't let it bother you too much. It seems like there are way too many hurdles Kovalchuk/KHL would have to jump succesfully to actually get him to stay in Russia. Sure there is a chance but I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Knowing Bettman he'd probably fine the Devils another 1st round pick for not being able to retain their player.

with all those statements coming out and hearing Kovy himself not re-assuring that he doesnt know 100% if he'll be back... scaring the sh!t out of me, real nervous now

but LETS SAY he would indeed walk... do you think Bettman would be kind enough to give us back our first round pick considering the situation? serious question.

I'm guessing they will

Trying not to make too much out of this, but geez...I don't even know how to react to it. Guess I need to see it actually happen first...but can't say I'm full of warm and fuzzies.

If he misses one game I'm sorry I do not care how good he is short of death in the family, his expensive Russian ass better be on the ice or the league should let us out of his contract.

I would love to have his contract back, and I would hope they do give us our 1st rounder and more back.

We gave up players picks got fined all for a player who wants to stay home, first Zach gets home sick now Kovalchuck, this is sickening to think it is even being talked about. I bet he will still want his 80 mill and he will want to come back next year. Stay home!

Sorry everyone I'm just venting just the thought is making me crazy!

If he misses one game I'm sorry I do not care how good he is short of death in the family, his expensive Russian ass better be on the ice or the league should let us out of his contract.

I would love to have his contract back, and I would hope they do give us our 1st rounder and more back.

We gave up players picks got fined all for a player who wants to stay home, first Zach gets home sick now Kovalchuck, this is sickening to think it is even being talked about. I bet he will still want his 80 mill and he will want to come back next year. Stay home!

Sorry everyone I'm just venting just the thought is making me crazy!

I'd be lying if I said "fvck you Ilya" hasn't been going through my head multiple times since I first read this. I'm hoping by the end we're chucking about how silly this all was.

That being said, another part of me is intrigued by the possibilities that could open up if he waves bye-bye to the Devils.

I'd be lying if I said "fvck you Ilya" hasn't been going through my head multiple times since I first read this. I'm hoping by the end we're chucking about how silly this all was.

That being said, another part of me is intrigued by the possibilities that could open up if he waves bye-bye to the Devils.

What possibilites? Camp is on Sunday and the season opens in 10 days!

Russia wants the NHL to allow NHL players to go to Sochi in 2014. I imagine the NHL is opposed - the games will happen in the middle of the night, and I don't think Olympic hockey is that great for the NHL. I also imagine that's what all this is about, and if the NHL says we're going to Sochi, Kovalchuk (and most of the others) will come back.

What possibilites? Camp is on Sunday and the season opens in 10 days!

I think they'd definitely be screwed for this season. I meant the seasons beyond. I'm not going to pretend this will be a good thing...it will be embarrassing for the NHL, the Devils, and Devils fans...ewwwww, I really don't want to think about this...

We can steal Anthony Stolarz from the Flyers and he'll replace Marty in net

We can steal Anthony Stolarz from the Flyers and he'll replace Marty in net

I'm sorry don't know him or how good he is but at this point sign em, lol

I'm old enough to remember Sean Burke comment to the papers that half of all New Jersey Devils fans were really Rangers fans, he was traded shortly after that. Lou will not put up with this crap, no way!

I'm sorry don't know him or how good he is but at this point sign em, lol

I'm old enough to remember Sean Burke comment to the papers that half of all New Jersey Devils fans were really Rangers fans, he was traded shortly after that. Lou will not put up with this crap, no way!

When he started getting booed (basically for sucking ass), he told the Devils fans who didn't support him that they could all go to hell.

From what I remember, Lou sent him home during the '90-'91 season, then let him rot during the whole '91-'92 before trading him and Eric Weinrich to Hartford for Bobby Holik and the Whalers' 2nd rounder (became Jay Pandolfo) before the '92-'93 season.

When he started getting booed (basically for sucking ass), he told the Devils fans who didn't support him that they could all go to hell.

From what I remember, Lou sent him home during the '90-'91 season, then let him rot during the whole '91-'92 before trading him and Eric Weinrich to Hartford for Bobby Holik and the Whalers' 2nd rounder (became Jay Pandolfo) before the '92-'93 season.

I may be wrong but I thought he told papers about most Devils fans were Ranger fans but I could be wrong I'm getting old, I do remember him sucking but Lou got rid of him quick

Edit I do remember Lou letting him sit! Sorry

Edited by Devs1965

I may be wrong but I thought he told papers about most Devils fans were Ranger fans but I could be wrong I'm getting old, I do remember him sucking but Lou got rid of him quick

Edit I do remember Lou letting him sit! Sorry

Last post on this for me (not Kovy-related), but the Devils gave Burke multiple chances to get his on-ice act together, often at Chris Terreri's expense, who was consistently outplaying him (and not complaining about Burke getting those undeserved chances)...I think Lou's telling him to get lost, then making him sit for over a year was as strong an "F U" as he's ever given...Lou basically did it to be a dick...he could've traded Burke earlier than he did.

Can't say I disagree. I'm tired of guys that don't want to be here. Next time I do get a jersey (I have Brodeur/Elias/Dano/Rafalski/Parise and the latter is going in the closet for a looong time) - and that's going to be sometime down the road, all things considered - at this point it'll be a guy like Greene or Salvador, you know guys that actually WANT to be a Devil :P

Can't say I disagree. I'm tired of guys that don't want to be here. Next time I do get a jersey (I have Brodeur/Elias/Dano/Rafalski/Parise and the latter is going in the closet for a looong time) - and that's going to be sometime down the road, all things considered - at this point it'll be a guy like Greene or Salvador, you know guys that actually WANT to be a Devil :P

Zubrus ;) I bet he will take a slight pay cut next year and stays.

Zubrus ;) I bet he will take a slight pay cut next year and stays.

Right now I'm wary of anyone that's a FA this year lol. I bought my friend a Parise shirt years ago, she's probably not going to wear it again at this point so I was gonna get her Clarkson as a replacement since he's one of her 'current' favorites but I'm loathe to buy that one for her until he re-ups :P

Elias is the one I'm most confident in coming back, but he's got that toolbag Allan Walsh repping him. I don't have much fear in Zubrus leaving, but he's older so you never know if some team offers him a crazy multi-year deal if he doesn't take it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Like I said earlier, he'll be back in NJ so this whole debate is really for nothing. I'm just saying I can understand if he is pissed with the way the NHL handles business and disrespects players like him. I know I would be if I was in his shoes.

Disrespects who? He got his $90M contract he shouldn't have. Bidding against no one. After the first one got shot down, he had virtually no give and rammed a similar contract through, with the same "I'll go to SKA" BS in the background.

This is gonna be a real tough contrarian viewpoint to take up if it materializes.

Disrespects who? He got his $90M contract he shouldn't have. Bidding against no one. After the first one got shot down, he had virtually no give and rammed a similar contract through, with the same "I'll go to SKA" BS in the background.

This is gonna be a real tough contrarian viewpoint to take up if it materializes.

Sports CBAs with salary caps redistribute money from the best players to minimum salary players, generally. That said, I'm not going to shed any tears for Kovalchuk's finances, nor do I think he's losing that much from this agreement. But I don't think this is about money because I don't see what SKA is offering now that they didn't two years ago.