2012 Miami Dolphins Thread

Hi, I'm VALUE!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with Thomas the RB they drafted so high a few years ago. Is he a bust?
. Thomas is the definition of an underachiever, in addition to being made of glass. He got hurt again the other day. Not to mention he seems to have finally fallen out of favor with Philbin, as the last couple weeks Lamar Miller has been getting all of Thomas&#39; carries. <br /><br />
Its amazing that we&#39;re still in the playoff hunt, Never would have thought in the beginning of this season that we would have a meaningful game in week 16. Fins Up&#33;
. It would take the miracle to end all miracles for us to get in. I don't even think most of the football-consuming public knows we're still alive. Edited by MadDog2020

. Thomas is the definition of an underachiever, in addition to being made of glass. He got hurt again the other day. Not to mention he seems to have finally fallen out of favor with Philbin, as the last couple weeks Lamar Miller has been getting all of Thomas&#39; carries.

I just saw Thomas is on the IR again.

It would take the miracle to end all miracles for us to get in. I don't even think most of the football-consuming public knows we're still alive.

1. They must win both of their games, vs. Buffalo and at New England….

2. Cincinnati must lose at Pittsburgh and vs. Baltimore…..

3. Pittsburgh must lose vs. Cleveland…

4. The New York Jets must lose one of two against San Diego or Miami

….hell stranger HAS happened….

1. They must win both of their games, vs. Buffalo and at New England….

2. Cincinnati must lose at Pittsburgh and vs. Baltimore…..

3. Pittsburgh must lose vs. Cleveland…

4. The New York Jets must lose one of two against San Diego or Buffalo

….hell stranger HAS happened….

. Stranger things have happened for sure, but that's a lot of things that need to go right. We have to win IN Foxboro. The Browns have to win IN Pittsburgh in week 17 to help us out. One may happen, but both are not very likely. Let's be honest- can you REALLY see the fvcking BROWNS win in Pittsburgh in week 17 with the Steelers having a playoff berth on the line? In what alternate universe does this ever take place? Btw, I fixed it for ya- the Jets play San Diego and Buffalo. I'm sure things with them will take care of themselves lmfao.

Also, we'll have super-choker Nate Kaeding kicking for us for the next 2 weeks because Carpenter just went on IR with a groin injury. So we can forget winning any game that comes down to the Dolphins having to kick a last second FG now.

Dan Carpenter hasn't exactly had a great year for us. He makes his kicks vs. NYJ/ARI and we're talking about a win and in playoff scenario.

Dan Carpenter hasn't exactly had a great year for us. He makes his kicks vs. NYJ/ARI and we're talking about a win and in playoff scenario.

. This is true, but he was doing much better before he got hurt. Every kicker struggles at times, like any other player at any position. Unfortunately for us, Carp's struggles cost us early.

Sunday's game against the Dolphins has me plenty nervous. This could be a huge way to go out for the Dolphins this season...beating NE on their own turf, and NE needs the game...they need to win to have any shot at the #1 or #2 seed, though if both Houston and Denver win their games (both 1:00 start times), then the best NE can do is #3. But even if they're not playing for a bye week, I doubt they'd want to go into the playoffs on three straight "meh" games...NE needs to pull it together. The Dolphins are not going to make that easy for them.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

7-9. About what was expected, give or take a win. I'm not sold on Tannehill, and evidently all the Dolphins brass can say is that he's earned the starting job for next year. We'll see if Ireland can manage to get him some decent receivers to throw to and if Philbin and Sherman can make the offense resemble what they had in Green Bay. O-line situation is a little concerning. Jake Long probably won't get back to what he was in the first two years of his career even if he comes back, and I don't think Martin is an NFL quality left tackle.

Ultimately though the question to ask is whether you have confidence that the pieces are in place that next year this team at least begins to demonstrate that it can be at some point in the same league as those that are in the Super Bowl conversation year in year out. I honestly don't think so.

Tannehill was pretty solid over his last 6 games. He showed growth, which is what you were looking for. He got no help from his receivers yesterday...I don't watch a lot of Dolphins games, but I'm guessing that probably happened in other games as well.

Dolphins could win 8-10 games next year, maybe even 11 if Tannehill takes a huge step forward and they get some breaks.

Tannehill was pretty solid over his last 6 games. He showed growth, which is what you were looking for. He got no help from his receivers yesterday...I don't watch a lot of Dolphins games, but I'm guessing that probably happened in other games as well.

Dolphins could win 8-10 games next year, maybe even 11 if Tannehill takes a huge step forward and they get some breaks.

Tannehill never got rocked like he did yesterday- not all year. He had NO time yesterday to do anything. Sacked 7 times, and he still managed to throw for 2 bills. Plus that idiot Binns dropped a perfect back shoulder throw for a TD. Overall, Tannehill had a good year. He had no help, and still managed to win 7 games and show growth. 7-9 isn't too bad a job for Philbin in his first season, given what he had to work with. We have $47 mil in cap space, and 5 picks in the first 82- more than any team in the league. I expect playoffs next year should the resources at Ireland's disposal be used properly (which does concern me, seeing how it's Ireland and all).

I expect playoffs next year should the resources at Ireland's disposal be used properly (which does concern me, seeing how it's Ireland and all).

This about sums it up for me.

We have a ton of key free agents that decisions need to be made on. We have our QB and we need at least one or two wide receivers. We need to decide on running back and left tackle, but we could probably use Lamar Miller + someone we draft at RB and be OK for next year. We need a left tackle, even if Long isn't the guy. I'm of the opinion that we should re-sign Randy Starks and, if they're affordable, Cameron Wake and maybe Sean Smith.

This about sums it up for me.

We have a ton of key free agents that decisions need to be made on. We have our QB and we need at least one or two wide receivers. We need to decide on running back and left tackle, but we could probably use Lamar Miller + someone we draft at RB and be OK for next year. We need a left tackle, even if Long isn't the guy. I'm of the opinion that we should re-sign Randy Starks and, if they're affordable, Cameron Wake and maybe Sean Smith.

. We have a left tackle- Jonathan Martin. We need a RT though because Nate Garner isn't the full time answer there. We could move Jerry to RT, which has been speculated. It's also possible we pursue one in free agency, there are a few RT's available this year that are decent. But that would then open up a need at RG (and I think Incognito needs to go, so I'd prefer 2 new guards next year). And as was mentioned, Wake signed an extension last offseason, so he's locked in. I'd like to keep Sean Smith as we need to add DB talent, not let it go. However, a franchise tag of $10 mil on Smith is cost prohibitive and I wouldn't want to devote that kind of cap space to a corner not named Darrelle Revis. Hopefully they can work out a long term deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it make sense for the Dolphins to work in some kind of read option to its offense? While he doesn't have as strong an arm as Kaepernick, Tannehill appears to have the same skill set, more or less, them both being big guys that are fast and accurate. In fact, they're more or less the same size and Tannehill only had a slightly slower 40 time.

Would it make sense for the Dolphins to work in some kind of read option to its offense? While he doesn't have as strong an arm as Kaepernick, Tannehill appears to have the same skill set, more or less, them both being big guys that are fast and accurate. In fact, they're more or less the same size and Tannehill only had a slightly slower 40 time.
We actually did employ a read option a little bit with Tannehill, more towards the end of the season to some decent success, actually. Sherman and Philbin are on record saying they think it's a valuable way to utilize Tannehill's size and athletic ability, but that they don't want to make it a prominent part of the offense because we also don't wanna get the kid killed. It has its place though. I'm sure we'll see it utilized a bit next year.

Does Miami have TWO offensive linemen on the Pro Bowl Squad?

Incognito got a call up, and I think the long snapper made it. I don't put much stock at all over who ends up playing in the game.

FWIW, the O-line I would say is above average, but nothing special. Very good center, improving tackle in Martin, decent guard in Incognito, and maybe Jake Long will get back to where he was if he's re-signed at a fair price, which I'm not as against as Maddog is.

Incognito got a call up, and I think the long snapper made it. I don't put much stock at all over who ends up playing in the game.

FWIW, the O-line I would say is above average, but nothing special. Very good center, improving tackle in Martin, decent guard in Incognito, and maybe Jake Long will get back to where he was if he's re-signed at a fair price, which I'm not as against as Maddog is.

I'm not totally against resigning Long, but he'll have to take a very, very substantial pay cut if he wants to return. Quite simply, I think some other team desperate for o-line help (Read: San Diego, Chicago) will overpay because of Jake Long's name. In the end, I think he leaves and if he does, adios- we'll be okay. Re the Pro Bowl: Starks got called up for Wilfork too. So I think the list is Incognito, Starks, Denney, Fields, and Wake. Edited by MadDog2020

I'm not totally against resigning Long, but he'll have to take a very, very substantial pay cut if he wants to return. Quite simply, I think some other team desperate for o-line help (Read: San Diego, Chicago) will overpay because of Jake Long's name. In the end, I think he leaves and if he does, adios- we'll be okay. Re the Pro Bowl: Starks got called up for Wilfork too. So I think the list is Incognito, Starks, Denney, Fields, and Wake.

Long will not be worth the money he ends up getting