Devils keeping 2012 first rd pick - Official

ghdi

trade it to nashville with tedenby, urbom and another draftpick for rights to radulov and lindback and halischuk.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Alexander Radulov ($4.000m)

Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($0.800m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.750m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.713m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($2.850m)

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($3.500m)

Anders Lindback ($2.000m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,616,666; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,683,334

No way Nashville gives over Halischuk.

No way Nashville gives over Halischuk.

oh, you think halischuk is too much?! it was more of a joke than anything. i would give up most of the same for lindback/rads rights. i wouldn't be upset if instead of halischuk in that spot, the devils signed zenon kenopka to a similar deal.

Edited by sundstrom

oh, you think halischuk is too much?! it was more of a joke than anything. i would give up most of the same for lindback/rads rights. i wouldn't be upset if instead of halischuk in that spot, the devils signed zenon kenopka to a similar deal.

I wouldn't mind Kenopka. Dude can actually win face-offs.

i don't care if they think there's a great player there. you simply cannot gamble with this. i wanted them to deal the pick even if they lost in the first round to florida.

while i think the odds are very far against this scenario, imagine parise leaves, the devils do not get any forward to replace him, injury or ineffectiveness limit kovy, elias, zajac and henrique and marty repeats his first half of this season for the entire season. that's a bad team and could lead to a top 10 pick. then they're forced to give up 13/14 with no clue how it will turn out.

Otoh, in that scenario wouldn't the Devs be able to parlay their equally high 2nd rounder up to a very low first and give that to the league? Doesn't that fulfill our obligations as well?

I think its one of those two:

They like a kid that is flying under the radar and think they can get him with the 29th pick

OR

They like a kid that is suspected to be drafter earlier (than 29th) and will try to move up for him and they needed to keep that pick for a possible trade.

What do you guys think of going after Subban? Butterfly goalie and extremely athletic...

I wouldn't want them to take a goalie that early in the draft or with the depth they have (Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Clermont) but I'm not opposed to it if they can get him with a mid round pick. Athletic goalie, moves well laterally, quick reflexes, does well 1 on 1, the main knock against him is rebound control and staying healthy.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice

Lou Lamoriello said deadline was not Tuesday. Misunderstanding?

Technically, the deadline is actually 2014 to give up the pick. I think that is what Lou was indicating to Gulitti whose question was when the Devils have to let the NHL know after a season ends when they do decide to forego the pick.

I wouldn't want them to take a goalie that early in the draft or with the depth they have (Wedgewood, Kinkaid, Clermont) but I'm not opposed to it if they can get him with a mid round pick. Athletic goalie, moves well laterally, quick reflexes, does well 1 on 1, the main knock against him is rebound control and staying healthy.

Who do you see us taking? It would be nice to grab a 2 way forward somehow. No more defenseman unless a real steal comes. Right wing needs to be addressed ASAP.

Who do you see us taking? It would be nice to grab a 2 way forward somehow. No more defenseman unless a real steal comes. Right wing needs to be addressed ASAP.

Addressing right wing in the draft doesn't mean anything. He's not playing for at least three years. You don't know who might be available by trade, free agent, or someone already in the system or on the team that you can move to right wing. When you pick that low, you take the best available, maybe with the exception of goalie.

As to defenseman, again, assuming that whoever's drafted is not ready to make an immediate jump, by the time he's ready, Greene, Tallinder, Zidlicky contracts will be up, and likely gone. Someone is else who's playing well now could easily regress. We have no idea if Urbom and Gelinas or even Merrill will be any good. So drafting a defenseman with the first pick is not something you rule out.

Addressing right wing in the draft doesn't mean anything. He's not playing for at least three years. You don't know who might be available by trade, free agent, or someone already in the system or on the team that you can move to right wing. When you pick that low, you take the best available, maybe with the exception of goalie.

As to defenseman, again, assuming that whoever's drafted is not ready to make an immediate jump, by the time he's ready, Greene, Tallinder, Zidlicky contracts will be up, and likely gone. Someone is else who's playing well now could easily regress. We have no idea if Urbom and Gelinas or even Merrill will be any good. So drafting a defenseman with the first pick is not something you rule out.

Good points... So why not go goalie if best one comes available? Are we ready to rely on our minors after Marty?

Good points... So why not go goalie if best one comes available? Are we ready to rely on our minors after Marty?

We have a genuine prospect with a lot of talent in Wedgewood. The market for goaltenders in the NHL these days is so crowded, there is always going to be a very serviceable veteran bouncing around looking for a club.

Hopefully Marty can split with Wedgewood or another netminder next year and then if Marty calls it a day we use another veteran.

Keeping the pick may actually be a "posturing" move by Lamoriello. By giving up the pick, its like showing your hand in poker. Maybe Lamoriello wants to see what's out there at this year's draft, and on top of that, use it as a negotiation tool with Parise.

Tough to convince your best forward to stay when you gave up your 1st round draft pick without even seeing what's out there.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Lamoriello and Lombardi had the chance to get together and talk about Jonathan Bernier while at the SCF. The pick may also be part of the strategy to bring him to NJ.

Who knows...

Just because drafting goalies is the biggest crapshoot. (Admittedly, I'm making this statement without the benefit of any kind of statistical analysis). I'm also of the belief that you can still compete for a championship with a goalie that's good enough. You also only carry two on the team at any given time, so there's even less of chance of a drafted goalie having a great impact. Other teams seem to be coming around to this line of thinking, so goalies tend to fall in the draft also.