New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the league will go around to every team in the league and let them play in the classic and then start over again by skipping the Devils. Only way the Devils are going to be in it is if they are going to play the Pens or Caps. I do not think they will if they play the Rags because the NHL and NBC see us as the same market and that is not good for TV.

Also, for the all-star game, do the teams have to apply for that or are they nominated and selected? Wondering because usually it is used as an award for teams that build new stadiums to show them off, but it has been 3 years now and no news. If Lou purposely did not pursue this, then I am ok with it.

dchesnokov: KHL President Medvedev told Pavel Lysenkov of Sovetsky Sport that SKA is ready to offer a 17 year contract to Ilya Kovalchuk. Details soon.

:blahblah: That league is such a joke. It's like a cartoon show.

Edited by Amberite

dchesnokov: KHL President Medvedev told Pavel Lysenkov of Sovetsky Sport that SKA is ready to offer a 17 year contract to Ilya Kovalchuk. Details soon.

:blahblah: That league is such a joke. It's like a cartoon show.

I loved his advice to Kovy last week: "Listen to a woman, but do the exact opposite."

it better be a personal service contract, because that league has as much chance of being around 17 years from now, as I do being the next President

There will surely be a Russian professional hockey league 17 years from now.

There will surely be a Russian professional hockey league 17 years from now.

'surely' is a strong word when dealing with anything 17 years from now, but his point is that it probably won't be the KHL, though - kovalchuk's contract would no longer be valid if the league re-formed.

'surely' is a strong word when dealing with anything 17 years from now, but his point is that it probably won't be the KHL, though - kovalchuk's contract would no longer be valid if the league re-formed.

Yea but if they sign him to 17 years they have him pretty much locked to play in Russia for the rest of his career. If he plays just 10 years there, he is stuck there for good. The 17 years is a marketing ploy to say "We can one up the Devils"

Yea but if they sign him to 17 years they have him pretty much locked to play in Russia for the rest of his career. If he plays just 10 years there, he is stuck there for good. The 17 years is a marketing ploy to say "We can one up the Devils"

why? the league could cease to exist 2 years from now, or next april. the only security you get is that you're playing for Medvedev's team... which of course would be circumventing the league rules to bring a player to their team. does this sound stable, or like a garage league where the commish happens to own a team and bends the rules for himself, because his brother is the "President" with Putin's hand planted firmly up his ass?

keeping in mind that a team that existed going back to the RSL years has already fallen apart.

it's a marketing ploy, alright, a desperate one. you guys get concerned about the most mundane things.

why? the league could cease to exist 2 years from now, or next april. the only security you get is that you're playing for Medvedev's team... which of course would be circumventing the league rules to bring a player to their team. does this sound stable, or like a garage league where the commish happens to own a team and bends the rules for himself, because his brother is the "President" with Putin's hand planted firmly up his ass?

keeping in mind that a team that existed going back to the RSL years has already fallen apart.

it's a marketing ploy, alright, a desperate one. you guys get concerned about the most mundane things.

I'm not concerned. If you've followedd my posts, you'd know I said he wasn't going to Russia from July 2nd on.

FIrst off, if he signs a 17 year deal to play in Russia then he has made a commitment to play hockey in Russia for the rest of his career and is likely to do so.

Secondly, if Kovy signs over there for that long there's a very good chance the league does last. Don't get me wrong - if the KHL doesn't sign a few more big players then they're gonna struggle to stay afloat.

I'm not concerned. If you've followedd my posts, you'd know I said he wasn't going to Russia from July 2nd on.

FIrst off, if he signs a 17 year deal to play in Russia then he has made a commitment to play hockey in Russia for the rest of his career and is likely to do so.

Secondly, if Kovy signs over there for that long there's a very good chance the league does last. Don't get me wrong - if the KHL doesn't sign a few more big players then they're gonna struggle to stay afloat.

Kovalchuk isn't going to make the league last. the problem w/ the league is that it's not run anything like a business. it's just a plaything for a few rich owners that drag everyone else along for the ride. Dynamo failing was a very bad sign, it's not like they're some team in a former satellite state that has a $3M payroll.

if it doesn't start to look like a business at some point, it can't be anything more than a garage league. the rich owners will use it as a plaything, everyone else will wither and die because there's no money in this.

and Medvedev is becoming more and more the owner of St. Petersburg and less and less the boss of the league. it's like he's pulling a reverse Bud Selig. his head isn't in the right place if he really wants to make it work long-term.

the problem w/ the league is that it's not run anything like a business. it's just a plaything for a few rich owners that drag everyone else along for the ride. Dynamo failing was a very bad sign, it's not like they're some team in a former satellite state that has a $3M payroll.

if it doesn't start to look like a business at some point, it can't be anything more than a garage league. the rich owners will use it as a plaything, everyone else will wither and die because there's no money in this.

are you referring to the KHL or the MLB or the NBA?

Listen, maybe the KHL won't last I don't argue that. My only argument is that it could only help to sign Kovalchuk to a long term deal. Do you think they're sitting around going "We'll we're going to collapse soon so let's offer Kovy only a two year deal. Offering him the 17 year deal shows the league's fans that they are serious about staying aroung long-term and seriously competing with the NHL (even if neither will really happen). It was the right move on their part. A silly marketing ploy but the right move.

On HF I made the comparison of some independent minor league team making an absurd offer to a player for the publicity. This is basically like the Harlem Globetrotters offering Lebron James a contract.

Now of course they'll sign him to it if Kovalchuk wants to go, but Kovalchuk has to know anything beyond the first year isn't exactly going to be guaranteed like it would be the NHL.

I think Medvedev should worry about the problems of the Russian people and not on the Kovalchuk contract situation

And let's face it, Kovy knows if he goes over to the KHL, that's it for publicity. Once you go over to the KHL that's pretty much it as far as US and Canadian media is concerned.

Hence why we don't hear much about jagr these days...