FCC Ruling Gives Verizon & AT&T Access To MSG’s HD Channels

brodeur14301991

This is going to drag on a little longer...

They have until October 22 to strike a business deal.

But Cablevision appealed the FCC decision and on Tuesday the FCC granted a partial stay of the order in that Cablevision does not have to actually provide the feeds until at least Nov 14 so the FCC can do its review of the appeal. Biz deal must still be struck by Oct 22 though.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/475211-FCC_Stays_Portion_of_MSG_Program_Carriage_Mandate.php

• Like 1

This is going to drag on a little longer...

They have until October 22 to strike a business deal.

But Cablevision appealed the FCC decision and on Tuesday the FCC granted a partial stay of the order in that Cablevision does not have to actually provide the feeds until at least Nov 14 so the FCC can do its review of the appeal. Biz deal must still be struck by Oct 22 though.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/475211-FCC_Stays_Portion_of_MSG_Program_Carriage_Mandate.php

Thanks for the update. I'm really getting anxious about being able to watch the Devils in HD on a regular basis...hopefully they can sort this mess out sooner than later.

Delaying the inevitable.. I just looked at the schedule and it seems like we play a lot more games on MSG Plus than I remember.. I feel like we were on MSG 2 and MSG Plus 2 a ton just a couple seasons ago

in 2010, the schedule was bunched up more, which means more MSG2 and MSG+2. before that, from 2008 and before, there were more in division games, which would also mean more MSG2/MSG+2.

• 2 weeks later...

No announcement today?

I'm hoping something will come down this week. The 30-Day release period ended 10/22 so it might just be getting everything squared away for an announcement.

I feel that should Dolan-Vision try to appeal again, it'll get shot down pretty quickly. I'm personally hoping for MSG HD to hit FiOS by mid-November the latest.

Fingers crossed!

I'm hoping something will come down this week. The 30-Day release period ended 10/22 so it might just be getting everything squared away for an announcement.

I feel that should Dolan-Vision try to appeal again, it'll get shot down pretty quickly. I'm personally hoping for MSG HD to hit FiOS by mid-November the latest.

Fingers crossed!

Well I know the last development was that they got a stay and won't need to provide HD until 11/14, but the ruling was also that an agreement on paper must be reached by 10/22

Well the FCC governs the airwaves, so maybe they shut MSG and/or CableVision down for disobeying their ruling?

If only one side gets punished then it doesn't really sound like the two were told to come to an agreement. What if CV's asking price is high and Verizon's offer is low, who gets punished? What would such a punishment even be?

If only one side gets punished then it doesn't really sound like the two were told to come to an agreement. What if CV's asking price is high and Verizon's offer is low, who gets punished? What would such a punishment even be?

I think both sides were told to reach an agreement, but something tells me they will put more blame on Dolan if nothing happens.. Generally speaking, he has 0 incentive to make a reasonable offer to Verizon and AT&T, while those companies do in fact have incentive to make reasonable offers..

But in reality, I'm guessing that if CV's offer isn't similar to what it is with other companies like Comcast then it will be pretty obvious they are trying to circumvent the FCC ruling (of having an agreement by 10/22) by making ridiculous offers they know Verizon/AT&T won't agree to.. That won't go over well with the FCC, and CV did just file an appeal with them.. Probably don't want to piss off the governing body of your product

Still waiting on Dish sorting their sh!t out with MSG. Bastards cutting me off from hockey. :argh:

Same here. My roommate just took a job for Dish Network, so we'll be getting their service for free, but we are continuing to pay for DirecTV so we can watch the Yankees and so I can watch the Devils and he can watch the Rangers. I don't even care about HD, I just want Dish to carry the channels!

So in reality, we're probably looking at another month before MSG HD comes to Verizon because of CV's latest appeal? I am itching to dump them so bad, I am counting down the days.

I hear you. I just had to threaten to leave them (Cablevision) again so they would lower my rates. I look forward to the day where I actually follow through on my threats!

• 2 weeks later...

CV also jammed me good when the two year deal was up a few months back. but I love the msg HD feed from the rock and really enjoy the varsity HS hockey football and lacrosse, yet I hate what dolan did to block the jets stadium

decisions decisions

what will the monthly adder be from verison? any guesses?

will it be that exact same quality HD signal?

there will be a decent exodus imo when this goes through so I expect msg to counter with some special deals again. they have been holding tough on the pricing lately when I've threatened them. only 20 bucks off my bill the last time i cried wolf

4 days to the November 14th date and still no news.. Is this good or bad? I'm guessing that they are finishing up their review and will announce something on the 14th.. Either that or we will hear about some delay of the process

I just hope we get some sort of update...I'm really getting tired of waiting. Watching the Devils in HD on VS the other day really reminded me how much I hate standard definition.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but it's not big a deal to me. While I would watch the games in HD were they available, the amount that my enjoyment of the game is lessened by SD is minute

Same here, I definitely agree it is better in HD when I'm watching at a friend's house, but I have no problem watching it in standard definition on my old school TV at home. Then again, much of my youth was spent watching the games through squigglevision and listening on the radio all the time since you had to pay extra for it with Comcast, so maybe I'm just happy to actually be able to watch the games now. Also I guess if I spent hundreds on a high-definition TV I would probably be annoyed I couldn't put the HD to use while watching the Devils too.

Same here, I definitely agree it is better in HD when I'm watching at a friend's house, but I have no problem watching it in standard definition on my old school TV at home. Then again, much of my youth was spent watching the games through squigglevision and listening on the radio all the time since you had to pay extra for it with Comcast, so maybe I'm just happy to actually be able to watch the games now. Also I guess if I spent hundreds on a high-definition TV I would probably be annoyed I couldn't put the HD to use while watching the Devils too.

Yeah IF YOU ARE WATCHING ON A STANDARD DEF SET! but if you have a HD TV the STD def picture is HORRIBLE almost unwatchable

FCC DENIES APPEAL - MSG HD TO COME TO FiOS BY 11/25

http://www.multichannel.com/article/476571-FCC_Affirms_Media_Bureau_Decision_Against_MSG_In_Program_Access_Complaints.php

http://www.fcc.gov/document/verizon-telephone-cos-et-al-v-madison-square-garden-lp-et-al-1

The Bureau’s Order found that Defendants violated Section 628(b) of the Act by

withholding from Verizon the HD versions of approximately half the hometown major league sports

teams in the New York and Buffalo DMAs.28 The Bureau found that Defendants’ withholding of the HD

versions of this non-replicable and “must have” local sports programming was an “unfair act” because, on

balance, the anticompetitive effects of the withholding outweighed any procompetitive benefits.29 The

Bureau also found that Defendants had failed to produce evidence that rebutted the presumption that the

withholding of this “must have” local sports programming “significantly hindered” Verizon.30 Additional

evidence supported the Bureau’s finding, including (i) statements from Cablevision executives stressing

the competitive significance of MSG HD and MSG+ HD, including their belief that Verizon’s inability to

offer these networks was one factor that would not only impede Verizon from obtaining new subscribers,

but also cause Verizon to lose subscribers it had already gained;31 (ii) Cablevision’s advertisements

emphasizing Verizon’s inability to offer MSG HD and MSG+ HD;32 (iii) survey evidence demonstrating

the importance of local sports programming to consumers in New York and Buffalo;33 and (iv) additional

support for the rebuttable presumption of “significant hindrance” pertaining to HD RSNs.34 For the

reasons discussed below and stated in the Bureau’s Order, we deny Defendants’ Application for Review

and affirm the Bureau’s Order.35 Below, we address Defendants’ challenges to the Order.

FCC gave Cablevision 15 days from rejection to have FiOS getting HD feeds.. This was dated 11/10/11 some I'm assuming that means they must have it by 11/25/11

Edited by Colin226

We've heard this song and dance before. Also, I'm concerned that whenever Cablevision has to renew MSG and its affiliated channels with Verizon, it will take the nuclear option and refuse to negotiate. They kept the Yankees off of Cablevision for what, 2 years?

I mean I also have a similar "I'll believe it when I see the channel in my guide" but it seems like the FCC is cracking down hard on Cablevision for this and I don't see Cablevision having any more options to block this right now. If they fail to comply then they get shut down. That would be cutting off their whole head to spite their face