2014-15 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

Interesting note on Bell from TG:

Right wing Myles Bell, a 2013 sixth-round pick, is in camp with the Devils, but is not under contract. Although Bell is 21 already and no longer has major junior eligibility, the Devils still have until the end of next May to sign him. (Two years after drafting him.)

I didn't think the 2 years applied to Bell given his advanced age when he got drafted, thought they only had his rights for a year.

Interesting note on Bell from TG:

I didn't think the 2 years applied to Bell given his advanced age when he got drafted, thought they only had his rights for a year.

No, they still do apply - but the Devils would have had to have offered him a contract at some point in order to keep his rights.

The advantage in not signing him is that he retains another year of waiver ineligibility if he were to play on an AHL deal this year.  So he would be waiver eligible in 2018 instead of 2017.

Gedig isn't on the camp list so I guess he is gone after all - oh well.

I was really hoping that him not being on the camp list meant he would just be a late arrival from the Flames prospect camp and that Lou let him go there for the experience but despite TG tweeting on 8/15 that Lou said Gedig was getting signed to an AHL deal, it looks like it never happened.

Calgary Sun article from 2 days ago:

Curtis Gedig, a free-agent invitee who was drafted by the New Jersey Devils in 2009 but not signed, led the Flames hopefuls offensively with a goal and an assist.

Gedig’s performance was a huge deal for a player looking to make enough of an impression to receive a serious look in main camp and trying to earn a pro contract.

“I’ve never put up that many points, but they really emphasized jumping into the play here,” Gedig said. “It’s definitely a different style of game compared to college and what the college coaches tell you to do. Maybe this tweak will get me rolling with some more offence.”

Not that this is a blow to the Devils system at all but I'm disappointed. I really think Gedig could develop into a servicable, cheap, back end blue liner eventually. He had a pretty decent NCAA career which is something that Faust can't say, but of course that's who we got stuck with. I wonder if Gedig felt like he was going to be too low on the depth chart and figured he'd be better off trying his chances elsewhere?

I don't blame him - he's already 23 and he'd be coming in way down the depth chart.  The Devils were apparently not willing to sign him to an NHL contract, or at least they didn't intend to.  It's a shame because the Devils clearly made a good 7th round selection - at the very least it looks like he will become a decent pro, which isn't always easy to find in the 7th round, especially with a player who was draft-eligible by 2 days and taken out of B junior.  But yeah looking up at the fact that you come in on the depth chart behind 4 guys drafted after you, not really promising.

Saturday 9/20
KHL
Dinamo Minsk defeated Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod 3-0
Artur Gavrus F: E, 2 PIM (Boarding), 5 Shots, 15:11 TOI
Season: 7 GP 2-0-2, -1, 6 PIM, 13.3 SH%, 2.1 SH/GP, 37.5 FO%, 11:24 ATOI

-- Nice to see him get that much ice time for a change. Small sample size but his shots per game are up by about a shot a game this year in about the same average time on ice.

Friday 9/26
OHL
Kingston defeated Ottawa 3-1
Ryan Kujawinski C: Goal (PP), +1

Plymouth defeated London 5-0
Connor Chatham RW: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1, 4 PIM (Charging, Unsportsmanlike)

WHL
Brandon defeated Saskatoon 6-3
John Quenneville C: 2 Assists (1 PP), +1

Edmonton defeated Swift Current 5-1
Brandon Baddock LW: 2 Assists, +2, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike)

Kamloops defeated Victoria 8-2
Ryan Rehill D: Assist, +2, 2 PIM (High Sticking), 2 Shots

-- Shots are appearing on some of the WHL gamesheets so maybe some arenas are keeping track of it this year.

-- Josh Weissbock (sorry tri) started his own CHL stats site where he's using Python to scrape the gamesheets and come up with some estimated possession stats. Hopefully he'll have individual player stats up soon.

-- Not sure if McKeen's will have their CHL stats page up and running this year just yet.

-- Progressive Hockey is going to have some more "in-depth/fancy stats/adv. stats or whatever you want to call it" for the AHL and ECHL this year. Not sure if they will be adding in a CHL page though.

Saturday 9/27
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Rouyn-Noranda 3-2 (SO)
Anthony Brodeur G: 20 Saves on 22 Shots, Stopped 3/6 in Shootout

OHL
Plymouth lost to Erie 5-4 (OT)
Connor Chatham RW: -1, 2 PIM (Check from Behind)

WHL
Brandon defeated Swift Current 5-2
John Quenneville C: Goal (EN), 2 Assists (1 PP, 1 SH), +2

-- Goal and 4 assists in his first 2 games this season.

Edmonton defeated Medicine Hat 2-1
Brandon Baddock LW: +1, 6 PIM (Interference, Slashing, Check from Behind)

Kamloops lost to Victoria 4-3 (OT)
Ryan Rehill D: -1, 4 PIM (High Sticking, Interference)

USHL
Dubuque lost to Cedar Rapids 6-2
Joey Dudek C: E, 12 PIM (Check from Behind, Misconduct), 4 Shots

KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to CSKA Moskva 2-0
Artur Gavrus F: E, 1 Shot, 0/1 Faceoff, 12:50 TOI, 1 Hit

Sunday 9/28
QMJHL
Gatineau defeated Val-d'Or 7-2
Anthony Brodeur G: DNP
Season: 4 GP 2-2-0, 1.95 GAA, .915 SV%

Thanks Fiesty! Yeah let's hope Quenneville has a big year. He really turned it up for the playoffs last season, so I think he's capable of a lot. I don't know much about the USHL, so does anyone know what kind of season we can hope for from Dudek?

This is the first year I'm going to be following a prospect in the USHL closely so I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Going by player age as of February 1st, that would make this season Dudek's age 19 one (barely). Blake Coleman put up 92 points in 59 games his age 19 season - but he was insane that year. Looking at last year, Tyler Vesel (also a 6th round pick) put up 71 points in 49 games for his age 19 season, so maybe something like that for Dudek?

I don't know too much about the KHL, but is Gavrus' nearly 2 shots per game a good number? It certainly seems as if he's doing a bit better in the goal scoring dept compared to last year and his 14% shooting % doesn't seem crazy high either, though I'd like to see him put up a few assists to show there's more to his game than just goals.

Sunday 9/28

QMJHL

Gatineau defeated Val-d'Or 7-2

Anthony Brodeur G: DNP

Season: 4 GP 2-2-0, 1.95 GAA, .915 SV%

Robert Steeves (the overage goalie that was the #1 for Gatineau last season based on age more than anything else, as he's not any good) is no longer on the Olympiques (he's now in college playing for the Arcadia Axemen (http://acadiaaxemenhockey.com/robert-steeves/), which means Anthony figures to get at least half of his team's games as long as he plays well.  The other goalie (Nicolas Lachance) is a few months older than Anthony and was a former 12th-round pick of the Olympiques in 2012. 

I'll beat Tri to the punch...yes, Anthony is probably among the longest of long shots to ever sniff the NHL, but that doesn't mean I won't root for him to have a good year for Gatineau.  Hope he plays well and has a nice season.

I don't know too much about the KHL, but is Gavrus' nearly 2 shots per game a good number? It certainly seems as if he's doing a bit better in the goal scoring dept compared to last year and his 14% shooting % doesn't seem crazy high either, though I'd like to see him put up a few assists to show there's more to his game than just goals.

It's 11 games and I think the KHL is still more strict about giving out assists than the NHL.  The real key is that he's getting shots on goal and he's scoring.  And yeah, 2 shots per game on an average of 12 minutes of ice time per game is quite good.

Monday 9/29

KHL

Dinamo Minsk lost to HC Slovan Bratislava 3-2 (SO)

Artur Gavrus F: Goal (PP), E, 4 Shots, 12:44 TOI

Season: 11 GP 3-0-3, -2, 6 PIM, 14.3 SH%, 1.9 SH/GP, 33.3 FO%, 11:54 ATOI

-- Here's a link to his goal. Seems like he's getting more PP time this year.

3 things- on a line with Cheechoo, nice (5 hole) goal or crappy goaltending, notice the coach looks like Albelin?

3 things- on a line with Cheechoo, nice (5 hole) goal or crappy goaltending, notice the coach looks like Albelin?

It certainly looks like he's getting time with the top PP unit and I have to say that in general, from the KHL games I've watched this year, I'm not impressed with the goaltending for the most part.

Also, you can see Gavrus and Dinamo Minsk take on Jokerit tomorrow at 12 PM on One World Sports.

Friday 10/3
QMJHL
Gatineau lost to Chicoutimi 5-2
Anthony Brodeur G: 28 Saves on 32 Shots

OHL
Kingston lost to Belleville 4-2
Ryan Kujawinski C: Assist, +1

Plymouth lost to Guelph 4-2
Connor Chatham RW: E

WHL
Brandon lost to Tri-City 4-3 (OT)
John Quenneville C: Goal (PP), -2

-- Quenneville has 6 points in 3 games.

Kamloops defeated Lethbridge 3-2 (SO)
Ryan Rehill D: E, 2 PIM (Delay of Game)

Edmonton lost to Calgary 2-1
Brandon Baddock LW: E

USHL
Dubuque lost to Waterloo 4-1
Joey Dudek C: -1, 2 PIM (Slashing), 2 Shots

KHL
Dinamo Minsk lost to Jokerit 3-2
Artur Gavrus LW: E, 3 Shots, 0/1 Faceoff, 11:10 TOI, 1 Hit

-- Had a chance to watch this with Steve Cangialosi on the play by play. Gavrus played 4th line LW but got plenty of time on the top PP unit playing the left point. He didn't just stay there though, he often moved down the wing and even occupied the top of the crease for a lengthy amount of time on one of the PP's. Had two decent chances to score but couldn't finish. Skates well and seems to have good instincts.