Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

Strange. I hope Lou doesn't break the bank for him, he's not worth it anymore. Where would he go?

I could really only see maybe Boston, maybe Toronto. Other than that.........that's probably it. Chicago? (close to his kids at SSM)

Edited by HellOnICE

I think Marty knows he's going through Sunday.. and then he doesn't want to rep himself with teams calling him directly. So he hires agent to field those offers. This of course helps him realize his value for a contract... hopefully from NJ! But even if he signs with NJ I guess this agent now gets his %. Good deal for agent..

Hey Lou always says it - "When time is on your side you use it" --- No Marty is using it. Learned it from watching you, Uncle Lou

he's not going anywhere.

the most likely scenario is this:

Marty went to Lou and said he's not taking a paycut from $5.2.

Lou feels that $4MM or so is appropriate for a 40 year old goaltender who needed a strong second half to be an average NHL goaltender with a legacy.

Both Marty and Lou know that he wants to stay and both want that to happen.

Lou tells Marty - go to UFA and find out what your value is and we'll let that shape the market. Of course, if Toronto or Chicago or Tampa wants to give you $5.5MM for one year, we'll have to come somewhere in the middle.

Let me speculate on this a bit based on nothing but my own imagination if you will. Lou wants Brodeur to take a pay cut, Brodeur wants the same or a slight bump, and thus we are at and impasse. Now is this a bluff or will he entertain the idea of going somewhere? I just don't see many places paying for a 1A the same price we have payed Brodeur the last contract even for a year and even with the name. Maybe he's just going to send feelers out there and see what market value is and come back with that. In the end its kind of like Jeter (hopefully without the same giant overpayment) in that I don't know what his level of play will be but his marketing is with the Devils because they both are synonymous with each other.

He gave the Devils his very best for many many years, and has far more wins for one team than anyone else. And as much as I love and appreciate everything he's done, the Devils are going to have to move on eventually. It may not be the worst thing in the world, especially since he'd be leaving on a considerable high.

At any rate, he's a guy who really doesn't owe the Devils or the fans anything more than he's already given us. If he thinks he may want to leave and someone's willing to sign him, no hard feelings whatsoever on my end.

He gave the Devils his very best for many many years, and has far more wins for one team than anyone else. And as much as I love and appreciate everything he's done, the Devils are going to have to move on eventually. It may not be the worst thing in the world, especially since he'd be leaving on a considerable high.

At any rate, he's a guy who really doesn't owe the Devils or the fans anything more than he's already given us. If he thinks he may want to leave and someone's willing to sign him, no hard feelings whatsoever on my end.

Theres unfinished business as far as im concerned. I would not be happy if the year after we almost win the cup, have so much young upcoming talent and a great core of players, he just bails on the team.

Thing is, there's only one team that can really offer him a starting role, and I can't see him being interested in that team. I mean, I guess Tampa could offer him a starting role, but with what they just went through with Roloson, would they really want to roll the dice again?

I'd be pretty ambivalent about Brodeur leaving, it's not like he has been worth his salary at all the last 2 years. If he thinks he should get paid for all those wins in the past, he's mistaken.

Theres unfinished business as far as im concerned. I would not be happy if the year after we almost win the cup, have so much young upcoming talent and a great core of players, he just bails on the team.

I honestly do not care either way, Brodeur played average throughtout the entire year and is not worth anywhere near 5 million yes he stepped up his gm in the last 2 rounds but still isnt worth that contract. We have to move on at some point.

I would be estactic if he resigns, he plays for another team it is no big deal.

Edited by Zubie#8

SportsnetSpec

"News that Brodeur will test UFA market tells us NJD doesn't have $ to sign Zach Parise either. Bryce Salvador may also look elsewhere."

ahhhhh come on now look at all the crappy tweets coming out

nonsense about the money. the devils will spend $55MM - $65MM in real cash on payroll regardless of their financial position.

SportsnetSpec

"News that Brodeur will test UFA market tells us NJD doesn't have $$ to sign Zach Parise either. Bryce Salvador may also look elsewhere."

yeah i dont think thats the reason we're not signing sal or marty

SportsnetSpec

"News that Brodeur will test UFA market tells us NJD doesn't have $$ to sign Zach Parise either. Bryce Salvador may also look elsewhere."

Thats concerning but thats just speculation. They don't know anything behind the scenes. Lou may be right, Marty is great but he is 40 years old, 5.2M is alot for him at this age.

I'm not worried.

Brodeur not a Devil, or not retire as a Devil. Wont happen this team has been his legacy. What is he going to get 1yr 2 yr contract all for$, What teams are going to pay 5+ mil for a 40 yr old goalie.

Or

Is this a sign of the financials of the team or work stopage. to confusing just let it play out

SportsnetSpec

Well it is SportsnetSpec