Martin Brodeur - 2 years $9 million

Triumph

How hard did they really "try" last summer?!? How hard are they "trying" NOW leading up to the looming July 1 date?!?

They were negotiating with him for about a week before they agreed to the one-year deal. Zach's agents and Lou confirmed they tried a long-term deal, but it didn't work.

I also believe there is truth to Sundstrom's claim that Zach was prepared to accept 7/50, but his agents told him not to.

The Devils are not sitting on their hands here. You're only evidence that they must be is that there isn't a deal in place.

I'd rather Marty retire then see him in a different teams jersey. I will not be happy at all if he goes to a different team. I know in todays sports world that someone playing their entire career with one team isn't going to happen much anymore. I wanted Brodeur and Elias to both finish their careers as Devils. I'm not happy about waking up and reading this thread. I can't wait to this sh!t is over with.

and ugh to it being the front page of tsn

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399513

Edited by Satans Hockey

Oh man I wish people would shut the fvck up about this. If you don't think the Devils are doing all they can to get Parise locked up while having it be financially possible, you're fvcking stupid. I'm sorry, not blaming you because this is a common theme around here, but it's so fvcking annoying that people think the devils aren't "trying hard enough".

The Pens did not have so much trouble with Sid did they? The Devils are probably low-balling him and will wait to see what other teams offer. At that point I hope it isn't too late. Bottom line, the Devils should have put their best offer out there and let Zach decide what to do...

Hedberg could of done what Marty did in the regular season last year. That being said just give the man 5 million and get it over with. :saddevil:

Moose has never been able to handle a starting role in his career. He had one season with over 50 games, and that was on a terrible Pittsburgh team. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Moose as a Flyer Sunday. Makes sense for him and them if Lou doesn't sign him.

They were negotiating with him for about a week before they agreed to the one-year deal. Zach's agents and Lou confirmed they tried a long-term deal, but it didn't work.

I also believe there is truth to Sundstrom's claim that Zach was prepared to accept 7/50, but his agents told him not to.

The Devils are not sitting on their hands here. You're only evidence that they must be is that there isn't a deal in place.

The fact remains that there is NOT a deal in place. So if Zach truly wanted to stay here, and we gave him a fair offer...WHAT'S THE HOLD UP? I figured after we failed to resign him longterm last season that he would make it to July 1 just for sh!ts and giggles to see what he is offered elsewhere.

It's easy to talk about loyalty to long-time employees and what not when you're not writing the checks.

27m in cap space, we are 12m under the cap floor and next season another 20m+ comes off the books. We have to spend this money somewhere, we are probably going to overpay some random players to hit the floor, might as well be the guy who took a lot less and is the face of the franchise.

The Pens did not have so much trouble with Sid did they? The Devils are probably low-balling him and will wait to see what other teams offer. At that point I hope it isn't too late. Bottom line, the Devils should have put their best offer out there and let Zach decide what to do...

And he wants to hit the open market.

For Parise, I think the Devils are doing what they can with him. Lou can throw whatever figure out at him, but we do not know exactly what will get Parise to sign at the dotted line. If Parise has indicated what it would take, that is obviously being figured out by Lou and Parise and sometimes it just doesn't work.

As for Brodeur, I really do not get the mentality that he deserves $5M+ because of what he has done for us 8, 10 or even 15 years ago. I would prefer for Marty to stick around for another year but at what he is worth now and not at the expense of signing others. Right now even $3M is a stretch but I guess I will take it. Would like somewhere around $2M.

$3M is a pipedream. No way Marty signs for that. Guess what fellas? I think Marty hired an agent partially because he wants a 2 year deal....

A few teams would probably pay him $10M for 2 years...it would create a serious buzz for whatever franchise signed him, and the marketing department would have a field day. Merchandise sale$$$

I think everyone here just looks at pure numbers too much and does not look at the overall picture. The NHL is a business to make PROFIT. CASH MONEY. Even if Marty is only a shell of his former self, he will still generate a sh!t load of cash for whatever team he plays for...

Hopefully it is the DEVILS.

I'm pretty sure merchandise sales are pooled in the NHL, so no one cares about signing a player to sell more jerseys.

There is no team out there that can offer Brodeur $10M for 2 years. And I'm sorry, but people don't come out to NHL games to see a goalie. Whatever interest Brodeur would spur would be minimal.

Apparently that Brodeur is asking for 6m................... take it for what its worth

TravisHeHateMe

Someone confirm, because just read it on third-party site: Brodeur's asking for $6M range? If that's true, this is going to be good.

Edited by SterioDesign

I think from a business standpoint and Brodeur simply doesn't provide value at this stage of his career. I'm not sure what other options NJ has other then trading for Theodore if Luongo goes to Florida. I wouldn't mind getting Luongo if he goes on the cheap.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

And he wants to hit the open market.

If that is the case so be it....he would probably only sign before July 1 now if the Devils offered something absurd. So now we sit and wait....

I'm pretty sure merchandise sales are pooled in the NHL, so no one cares about signing a player to sell more jerseys.

There is no team out there that can offer Brodeur $10M for 2 years. And I'm sorry, but people don't come out to NHL games to see a goalie. Whatever interest Brodeur would spur would be minimal.

I would be interested to see if they are pooled. You don't think someone would sign Marty as a marketing move/hope for the best on the ice? You don't think he would help sell tickets ? (assuming the team doesn't sell out every game any way)

Maybe they're not pooled. Whatever. Still don't think signing a below-average player for jersey sales is a smart move for anyone - he's still got to provide value on the ice. They're not signing He Hate Me.

That's not a source, Sterio. That's a guy on Twitter wondering about something he read somewhere else, which he himself is not confirming.

Edited by Triumph

Marty should be taking a serious pay cut based on his performance the last few years. I could see this as being startling to him and wanting to see what other teams might offer him. When the other offers are underwhelming then I think he stays a Devil, at least that's what the Ouija board is saying.

Edited by Devils731

Maybe they're not pooled. Whatever. Still don't think signing a below-average player for jersey sales is a smart move for anyone - he's still got to provide value on the ice. They're not signing He Hate Me.

That's not a source, Sterio.

I did not mean just jerseys. There is alot to merchandise, and a new shot in the arm to a franchise could carry over to other things. Increased season ticket sales, etc etc. Look what our Cup run did for the Devils this year? Granted signing the greatest goaltender of all time is not necessarily the same thing, but I am pretty sure he would energize any fan base he went to....

the most likely scenario is this:

Marty went to Lou and said he's not taking a paycut from $5.2.

Lou feels that $4MM or so is appropriate for a 40 year old goaltender who needed a strong second half to be an average NHL goaltender with a legacy.

Both Marty and Lou know that he wants to stay and both want that to happen.

I agree with this, not necessarily the next part that Lou told Marty to hire an agent, but that Marty simply isn't happy with the pay cut Lou is offering, or possibly that it's only a 1 year deal. Marty I guess is betting that another team will have a competitive offer he can use as leverage. I can't see another team doing that unless they have attendance problems and think a name like Brodeur will help.

I think Brodeur will re-sign very quickly once July 1 rolls around or maybe even beforehand if this is all posturing. It will be "an overpayment." If there's one thing we know about Lou, he rewards loyalty. There's no way the Devils aren't the best destination for Brodeur both in terms of money and role.

What? That's a really odd opinion, I'd like to see where you came up with that one. If Brodeur went to a new team you don't think that organization isn't going to see increased revenue? It's the best goaltender of all time, we're talking about, who just showed that he can still play like his previous ~six HUNDRED victories.

I think Marty landing in another NHL city would bring them a nice increase in revenue. Especially a hockey town, who appreciates living legends.

What? That's a really odd opinion, I'd like to see where you came up with that one. If Brodeur went to a new team you don't think that organization isn't going to see increased revenue? It's the best goaltender of all time, we're talking about, who just showed that he can still play like his previous ~six HUNDRED victories.

No, I don't think they will. And all that good will would curdle real quick if Brodeur came out playing like he did the last two years.

A hockey town? Hockey towns have almost maxed out their revenue that a single player can bring (they haven't maxed out TV revenues etc.). Gimme a break.

Edited by Triumph

And I'm sorry, but people don't come out to NHL games to see a goalie. Whatever interest Brodeur would spur would be minimal.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but when I was younger and only went to games here and there I would ask my parents to get tickets against certain teams because I liked certain goalies.

I think Marty landing in another NHL city would bring them a nice increase in revenue. Especially a hockey town, who appreciates living legends.

Unless some small market team looking to make a splash is bidding, the effect on revenue will be minimal if not non-existent. Owners, and not GMs, think in those terms.