The TV situation...Dismal NJ/MSG effort to have the opener in HD

DevilMinder

I don't know about all of you but that embarrassing broadcast of the opening game of the NJ season on FIOS was something else. The screen was cut off so we couldn't see the time. The broadcast was obviously the HD feed cut off to fit the SD feed dimensions. I seriously hope this isn't something we have to look forward to of more of the Dolan spite.

Why did the Rangers get the privilege of two HD channels showing the exact same broadcast, and for that matter why did the Islanders even get a Feed down here in Central Jersey?

I don't know about all of you but that embarrassing broadcast of the opening game of the NJ season on FIOS was something else. The screen was cut off so we couldn't see the time. The broadcast was obviously the HD feed cut off to fit the SD feed dimensions. I seriously hope this isn't something we have to look forward to of more of the Dolan spite.

Why did the Rangers get the privilege of two HD channels showing the exact same broadcast, and for that matter why did the Islanders even get a Feed down here in Central Jersey?

I think the issue is that MSG and MSG2 always broadcast the same game, at least in the NY area.

For me the game was on two channels. I turned it on for the post game and like u said it had the bars on the side and it just looked absolutely terrible. Me and my brother were like "ok this can't be serious" so we channel surfed a bit and found it on another channel which was in HD.

I know for myself and HellonIce that we both had issues with time warners hd channel not working. The overflow HD channel is new for us this year so hopefully they have it working right for the next game.

I had issues with the msg+ hd islanders feed as well, it was getting pixelated and almost like buffering numerous times. Same thing happened with the replay of the devils hd broadcast that was on at like 11pm on the msg+ hd channel. I ended up just watching the game on the xbox on gamecenter.

Wonder why Daniel, do some local providers not have MSG but have MSG2? That seems odd.

Yeah, it makes no sense. I do recall though, that when the Isles and Devils are playing at home and the Rangers are on the road, the Rangers get delegated to MSG Plus 2, which is not broadcast in HD. I think the Knicks, whether they're at home or on the road, take priority over all hockey games so far as HD is concerned.

How long ago was it that Verizon didn't even get to carry the Devils in HD? As long as Cablevision tries to exert its non-existent monopoly, I expect things like this to be commonplace-ish. If one watched the Islander feed, which I'm sure you got, it was fine.

I also do not understand MSG2.

Both feeds, MSG2 and MSG2+ (Comcast, North Jersey) had the NY Islanders feed in HD. Steve and Chico didn't get put on until the encore presentation later on that night.

Quite disappointing. No Devils pre-game that night either (live).

How long ago was it that Verizon didn't even get to carry the Devils in HD? As long as Cablevision tries to exert its non-existent monopoly, I expect things like this to be commonplace-ish. If one watched the Islander feed, which I'm sure you got, it was fine.

I also do not understand MSG2.

I want to see the Devils broadcast, not the Isles. And I had the same issue on SD with the scoreboard, it was quite annoying really. Not so much not being able to see the score, which I knew anyway, but not being able to see the time. I don't really get why the Isles broadcast should get an SD telecast while we're stuck with HD on SD.

Agreed. The sound production has been pretty bad too in that the crowds have been barely audible

Agreed. The sound production has been pretty bad too in that the crowds have been barely audible

Well that's nothing new, the most enlightening thing over just how bad it was is when the MSG feed of Sykora's 5-on-1 goal last year got posted side-by-side with the CBC feed, it literally sounded like two different arenas :lol:

The only good thing this year is at least MSG+2 is right after MSG and MSG+ on the cable box, no more searching around for C-Span or the Cablevision channel which I'd never look for otherwise.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The FIRST game back it was no big deal? After nine months, I wanted to listen to Chico and Steve. If this was a random game in March that'd be something else.

DM84, the problem wasn't with HDTV's it was if you had SDTV. The HD feed got screwed up on SD, causing the score not to show up.