The Official Devils GAME WORN Jersey Thread

DevilinLA

Well, my Sykora is headed his way...thanks again Paul! Glad to see you joined the forum.

And........don't be mad, Jordan, but my Parise (Li'l brother, not Zach!), Lowell is heading his way, as well. Thanks for the quick transaction, Paul, and welcome aboard! Your jersey is "In the mail!".

Mike Martin

KC Devil

And........don't be mad, Jordan, but my Parise (Li'l brother, not Zach!), Lowell is heading his way, as well. Thanks for the quick transaction, Paul, and welcome aboard! Your jersey is "In the mail!".

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Agh! Sorry Jordan - didn't know you were looking at this one too!

Mike Martin

KC Devil

Well I'm glad to see it found a good home. I would have loved to buy it if I sold my Rasmussen Lowell and J. Parise Devils to get the Gionta (which I was originally contemplating), but luckily I didn't have to sell those two so I didn't have a need for a Lowell or a Jordan Parise. If that did play out though, that would have been the perfect jersey for me because it would have filled both the Lowell jersey and Jordan Parise jersey void that would have been left.

With that being said, I'm very happy with the way things fell into place. I'm so excited at the prospect of getting a SCF jersey. Especially a white one, because it was worn throughout the whole playoffs (even though Gionta wasn't a big time guy back in '03, that's still pretty cool). I can't wait to get it...I paid off the majority of the price, just a little bit to go.

I'm also excited to see Paul's collection when he gets the chance to post it...he's been snatching up a lot of great stuff lately! Paul, I'll send you an email too, but I just wanted to let you know my plans changed and I won't be going home tomorrow, so as a result I won't be able to send the LOA until later, but the jersey will be sent out via Priority Mail tomorrow.

So how did the discussion go tonight? Sorry I couldn't make it.

P.S. Mike, if you want to make up for selling the Parise to Paul (kidding, you don't have anything to make up for!) you can sell me back that Brylin one day since now I don't have any. In all seriousness, I would like to acquire a Brylin again one day, but I'll be done buying for quite some time now once I finish this Gionta transaction.

Edited by JWomp

Well I'm glad to see it found a good home. I would have loved to buy it if I sold my Rasmussen Lowell and J. Parise Devils to get the Gionta (which I was originally contemplating), but luckily I didn't have to sell those two so I didn't have a need for a Lowell or a Jordan Parise. If that did play out though, that would have been the perfect jersey for me because it would have filled both the Lowell jersey and Jordan Parise jersey void that would have been left.

With that being said, I'm very happy with the way things fell into place. I'm so excited at the prospect of getting a SCF jersey. Especially a white one, because it was worn throughout the whole playoffs (even though Gionta wasn't a big time guy back in '03, that's still pretty cool). I can't wait to get it...I paid off the majority of the price, just a little bit to go.

I'm also excited to see Paul's collection when he gets the chance to post it...he's been snatching up a lot of great stuff lately! Paul, I'll send you an email too, but I just wanted to let you know my plans changed and I won't be going home tomorrow, so as a result I won't be able to send the LOA until later, but the jersey will be sent out via Priority Mail tomorrow.

So how did the discussion go tonight? Sorry I couldn't make it.

P.S. Mike, if you want to make up for selling the Parise to Paul (kidding, you don't have anything to make up for!) you can sell me back that Brylin one day since now I don't have any. In all seriousness, I would like to acquire a Brylin again one day, but I'll be done buying for quite some time now once I finish this Gionta transaction.

And this is why Jordan is such a great guy!

I am in the process of moving my Sykora White Set 1 97-98... Offers welcome. I'm not sure where to list it... It is actually stamped 96-97, but they choose to wear it as the first set in 97-98.

Making room for anything fun?

Matt's collection is a work of art. I find myself browsing those photos every night.

Topic for discussion: What is the current value of an Elias jersey? Meigray has new releases priced between 1250 and a whopping 1500. But they've also had a very nicely worn consignment, with "A", at 1000 for the last year with no takers. And then we see the recent Ebay purge of the second grab bag go for $450 with only two bidders. I'm mindful it had almost no wear - but the current releases don't look much different.

Matt's collection is a work of art. I find myself browsing those photos every night.

Topic for discussion: What is the current value of an Elias jersey? Meigray has new releases priced between 1250 and a whopping 1500. But they've also had a very nicely worn consignment, with "A", at 1000 for the last year with no takers. And then we see the recent Ebay purge of the second grab bag go for $450 with only two bidders. I'm mindful it had almost no wear - but the current releases don't look much different.

Good topic.

I think the sets from this year will be a bit skewed because of his record set for the franchise. But that's just in general.

I think street value is proportionate to wear.

In general guys, here's an idea.....what percentage do you think Meigray is at in terms of price value relative to their newer Devil jerseys vs. Street value amongst collectors at current.

For Example:

Elias $1500 = Estimated Street Value for same jersey $XXXX.xx?

Maybe we can limit the scope to jerseys from the past 2-3 years as that's what's currently on their site inventory?

Paul,

Thanks... I've been called "A Piece of Work", but never had my collection called that... Thank you.

Here are 10 facts to help this great subject:

1. The last two years in particular Elias sweaters haven't had hardly any wear, which certainly doesn't mean he didn't play, check, or go into the corners. Clarkson's haven't been that BEAT-UP either.

2. MeiGray put him in the grab bag (a sure sign his stuff is not moving)

3. The price MeiGray charges is higher than everyone else (in general) because they take the "guess work out" and get the sweaters from the teams.

4. Parise is wearing two sweaters a game thus having 12 total sweaters for the year (6 home and 6 away if you count set 3's which haven't been used to my knowledge yet), yet the price remains the same. Brodeur is the same way and I believe Pandolfo. Not sure about Shanahan. Mike Green of the Caps and Ovechkin are the worst in terms of multiples...

5. MeiGray has dropped prices on the guys below $750.00 on the Devils and still it is stagnet.

6. Times are freakin' tough for people. Being frugal is now a way of life for a lot more people.

7. The wear on these sweaters in general is garbage. Hardly any. I've seen some with good marks this year, but there are usually just one or two GOOD marks.

8. It is a buyers Market!!! Good deals if you have the cash.

9. MeiGray prices are not set in stone. Contact them, do a layaway, and if it is consignment offer a counter offer to MeiGray. They will pass it along to the seller and sometimes a deal can be had. I've done it and promote it.

10. The price of a _______(insert player) sweater will always be whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Paul,

Thanks... I've been called "A Piece of Work", but never had my collection called that... Thank you.

Here are 10 facts to help this great subject:

1. The last two years in particular Elias sweaters haven't had hardly any wear, which certainly doesn't mean he didn't play, check, or go into the corners. Clarkson's haven't been that BEAT-UP either.

2. MeiGray put him in the grab bag (a sure sign his stuff is not moving)

3. The price MeiGray charges is higher than everyone else (in general) because they take the "guess work out" and get the sweaters from the teams.

4. Parise is wearing two sweaters a game thus having 12 total sweaters for the year (6 home and 6 away if you count set 3's which haven't been used to my knowledge yet), yet the price remains the same. Brodeur is the same way and I believe Pandolfo. Not sure about Shanahan. Mike Green of the Caps and Ovechkin are the worst in terms of multiples...

5. MeiGray has dropped prices on the guys below $750.00 on the Devils and still it is stagnet.

6. Times are freakin' tough for people. Being frugal is now a way of life for a lot more people.

7. The wear on these sweaters in general is garbage. Hardly any. I've seen some with good marks this year, but there are usually just one or two GOOD marks.

8. It is a buyers Market!!! Good deals if you have the cash.

9. MeiGray prices are not set in stone. Contact them, do a layaway, and if it is consignment offer a counter offer to MeiGray. They will pass it along to the seller and sometimes a deal can be had. I've done it and promote it.

10. The price of a _______(insert player) sweater will always be whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Good insight as usual Chorske17!

In general guys, here's an idea.....what percentage do you think Meigray is at in terms of price value relative to their newer Devil jerseys vs. Street value amongst collectors at current.

For Example

Elias $1500 = Estimated Street Value for same jersey $XXXX.xx?

Maybe we can limit the scope to jerseys from the past 2-3 years as that's what's currently on their site inventory?

In today's current market 50-60% of what MeiGray charges is all you might be able to get. Sometimes less and very rarely more.

No one really knows the details of the agreements between MeiGray and it's partner teams. We can only guess as to how it's structured I had my own idea how the old MGG/NHL Gameworn system worked as it was a different structure then what's curretnly in place. Now, Meigray negoitiates separetly with each team instead of being under the NHL "program".

However Meigray is set up to operate, i wonder if they claim depreciation on the items that have been sitting around for 1-5+ years in inventory. I've always said....name me one retail business such as MeiGray that can have that much dead stock as inventory (they have thousands of jerseys), stay in business each year, turn a profit and not give a crap if a Dan Blackburn Rangers pre-season jersey is still priced at $1000 never to be moved. What other business can survive? How can a business have that much dead stock?

Up until recently, a lot of teams were happy just getting their money back that they had invested in the jerseys/customizations. It was only after seeing the large profits made by Meigray that several NHL and AHL teams pulled out of the program, and decided to market the shirts themselves.

Edited by slimegoat

Agree with all points. In addition to writing down / off inventory, I wonder if they have some right to return the inventory to the team, or the ability to simply destroy the jerseys. I can understand how discounting creates a difficult problem: if they eventually slash the prices to 75 or 90% of retail, the market will begin to devalue future releases, creating further downward pressure on pricing. I would rather write off the whole jersey, toss it in the garbage, and prevent any erosion in customer perception that the jerseys are worth the original asking.

That said, some seem to priced right. A new player authentic jersey, with nameplate and number, is currently listed on the NJD site for $380. Meigray offers new Clarkson jerseys for $700. You can get an Oduya for $500. That seems to be a very small price increase over retail for an unused jersey.

Which raises another question: why isn't Meigray offering these jerseys on the NHL website of each team? Why don't they have a few jerseys available for purchase in the team stores? I am certain that many, if not most, fans have no idea game worn jerseys are so readily available.

I am certain that many, if not most, fans have no idea game worn jerseys are so readily available.

That was the case with me until I accidentally stumbled upon the MeiGray site. I thought the best I could do was a game-worn jersey card until a few years ago....I haven't bought another card since!

That was the case with me until I accidentally stumbled upon the MeiGray site. I thought the best I could do was a game-worn jersey card until a few years ago....I haven't bought another card since!

Same for me. And when I explain the hobby to other fans they are almost always surprised that game used items are available.

Every Summer for sure in July. It coincides with their expo.

When my wife and i sat next to you and your wife in 216, almost every game i had a game worn on. My wife wore one of my Daneyko game worns one night so she could get a pic with Dano after the game in the Goal Bar. Dano was speechless when he saw his jersey!

Last summer's sale either wasn't enticing enough or it was the recession because NOTHING really moved. Rob at Meigray asked me my thoughts on the subject that day (because he had shared with me his concerns with a lack of prospective buyers) and I said, why the sale was nice, I didn't see the "significant savings" that was anticipated. I have yet to see any real deals if you are only interested in buying one sweater. I know they (MeiGray) are trying to get more sales, but there's not nearly as many people at the sale part of the expo as opposed to the year before. I remember waiting in line for over and hour and this year I was in and out in less than half an hour. Deep down, I'm hoping for a really great sale this year, but I've already planned on spending less than $100.00 on them and saving the rest for another event where my dollar will go farther!

I've also noticed that people WAIT for these sales and certainly this must be of some concern. People wait in anticipation for the summer sale and whatever crazy ideas they come up with. But the sales get people to buy...The Grab bag issues that happened might mean a decline in grab bag contestants. Not a lot seems to be moving without the sale.

The Bob West consignment fiasco could be reason why not much has moved with the Devils. For those who don't know about this feel free to contact anyone of who has been collecting for two years+. His name angered MANY a Devils collectors.

As for the pricing of sweaters they recieve from the teams... I've often chatted with people wondering how they do it? Is it a lump sum for the sweaters? Is it based on total sweaters and not who wore them? Is it based on percieved retail value? What is it? While I'd love to know I'd almost rather not. Better not to know how is being made off me purchasing a sweater.

I think you're going to start seeing this happen more and more. I would not be surprised if the Devils one day did it, but i do not believe they have the type of average fan interest who would be interested walking in the Devils Den and buying them on a whim compared to the Hawks, Habs and Wings fans. I do not see that kind of buying activity among the average fan at our games. This isn't a hobby for everyone with the prices and unless someone falls in love with the unique and intrinsic aspect of it, someone isn't plopping down $300 on a game worn of Mike Mottau. Would they if it was Brian Gionta or Zach Parise? Sure. Trying to pawn off a scrub for $300 to someone who won't pay that for a jersey in general is a recipe for bad business. I've already had many brain scrambling experiences talking to fans at games about game worns and trust me, the average Devils fan base is not constructed to buy these.

One wonders what happens when people on the 11,000+ customer list of meigray's stop buying. Where do new customers come from? How do you grow the hobby at these prices or when there's no marketing by MeiGray at Devils games? How do you get people to buy the Mottau's, Brookbanks, Greene's of the team when they want Brodeur, Parise and Elias and they walk away when they see $1,500-7,500 and then explain why they can't have Brodeur @ $395. Try having that convo with Joe Average fan.

Again, you have to love the unique and intrinsic aspect of it. You fall in love with it immediately or you just don't.

I have always wondered why the NYR in particular can't sell and market their own game worns. They don't need MeiGray, they could sell theirs no problem on their own. But, everyone knows how close Barry is with the Rangers organization, so i think that has alot to do with it.

My theory is that a lot of teams have no interest in the small profits that game worn jerseys represent. They're not going to pay someone $75K per year to monitor/catalog/market every shirt.

The Devils could easily sell Brodeur gamers off his back from each home game for $500 each. I'm sure they would be pre-ordered well into next season and beyond. They'd make a profit off of each, but what is their motivation? Better just to get their money back on entire sets, and not be bothered. (Not to mention the hundreds of Brodeur gamers floating around, lessening the value).

The Rangers sell game used items at the Garden. Helmets, visors, sticks, gloves, etc. Each time I'm there, it's the exact same stuff sitting there. One reason could be the employee at the kiosk was selling hot dogs at the last game, and has no real idea about the product.

Meigray is extremely well respected and trusted. And Barry knows how to keep a customer. I'm sure he didn't want to send out those extra jerseys to offset the public outcry over the Crosby grab bag, but he could see the big picture. Instead of the "Barry is just dumping dead inventory on us that would never sell for the entry fee" feelings, the mood changed to "Wow, what a swell guy!".

As far as advertising, I would think that post-NHL/Meigray agreement advertising may be a little too pricey. Barry has no problem posting ads on the AHL and ECHL sites, because it it most likely built into the contracts with those leagues.

Jersey collectors also seem to like thinking of themselves as a private/elite group of people. Just relying on word-of-mouth to get other people into the hobby lends to the mystery of why we would lay down hundreds, or even thousands, for a used piece of cloth.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.