Marty's Quote at trade deadline

EdgeControl

from TG:  “I’m pretty excited to be here,” Brodeur said. “I don’t have to go anywhere. It’s a certain situation that was out of my control. I want to play some games. I want to play in the playoffs. This is some of the stuff I asked Lou. We had a conversation about playing time and getting in the playoffs. So, I expect to play and I expect myself to try to be in the playoffs also and get a big run, get a big push. It’s all up to me to play well when I’m called upon.”

with all the ruutu talk I missed this gem.  so he was politicking to lou for playing time and is insinuating that lou granting him his wish? this after he was rejected by every other team in the league?? nice spin try marty.

We aren't reading too much into it. It's Marty.

I'd be fine if he said "I want to play. I want to play in the playoffs, but ultimately it's up to me. My job is to play as well as I can and make them play me. I'm here to help the team win and if that's playing every night, great. If it's to help Cory and the team in other ways, that's great too. It's not about me. I want the team to win."

Except he doesn't say that. He says he wants to play and talked to Lou about it, like a baby who wants a handout.

• Like 1

There's no good way to respond. Everyone knew he wanted to be traded, so short of saying I'm mad I didn't get traded, I don't know what else Marty could say. He may or may not GET the playing time he wants -- that's on DeBoer -- but he was going to say this, or we were going to attack him for being a bad teammate, wanting out, etc. He couldn't win. Hopefully, DeBoer plays him sparingly, and he accepts it quietly. Of course, that's going to be difficult if guys like Chere keep approaching him for the same tired quote to report the same boring story, because Marty probably won't keep his mouth shut when asked a direct question.

We aren't reading too much into it. It's Marty.

I'd be fine if he said "I want to play. I want to play in the playoffs, but ultimately it's up to me. My job is to play as well as I can and make them play me. I'm here to help the team win and if that's playing every night, great. If it's to help Cory and the team in other ways, that's great too. It's not about me. I want the team to win."

Except he doesn't say that. He says he wants to play and talked to Lou about it, like a baby who wants a handout.

Exactly and some want him here next season to do the same.

this sounds like the guy who got punched in the mouth and is still yapping.  he was essentially making demands after the league punched him in the mouth!  I've been on marty's side as far as his comments go, but this one got to me. going to lou and saying I want playoff games, please

There's no good way to respond. Everyone knew he wanted to be traded, so short of saying I'm mad I didn't get traded, I don't know what else Marty could say. He may or may not GET the playing time he wants -- that's on DeBoer -- but he was going to say this, or we were going to attack him for being a bad teammate, wanting out, etc. He couldn't win. Hopefully, DeBoer plays him sparingly, and he accepts it quietly. Of course, that's going to be difficult if guys like Chere keep approaching him for the same tired quote to report the same boring story, because Marty probably won't keep his mouth shut when asked a direct question.

Lou calling the shots on starting Marty not Pete.

Admittedly, the last round of quotes were hard to take.  Marty really seems to come off like it's all about him right now.  I can't blame him for it entirely because Lou and PDB seem to be playing right into it, for reasons I can't grasp at all.  Funny, Lou was the last GM on Earth that I thought would allow a faded star to Messier his way into having too much power and too much say, but that's what's happening, and I can't believe that it actually is. 

One guy has an .884 save% in his last 16 starts and has given up 3+ goals 10 times in that stretch.

The other one has a .937 save% in his last 16 starts and has given 3+ goals twice. 

Is it too much to ask the beat guys to question Lou and PDB about this, why they seem to either be oblivious to this, or at the very least, seem very willing to ignore it?  Because I need this explained to me, how a guy whose play has clearly been among the worst as of late gets the same treatment as the guy whose play is just as clearly among the best.  Hell, if Marty was in the .900-.910 range somewhere over his last 16, I could at least understand it a little, but .884 is fvcking terrible, and there's no way to polish that one to make it look better than it really is.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Yes there is. The good way to respond is. "I asked Lou to look into a situation, and it didn't pan out. I'm a New Jersey Devil, and I am going to do whatever the team wants me to do to help them to win."

He says that, and says it over and over again. He says "I'm here to play when Pete tells me to play" That's it. THAT's IT...make Rich stop asking the question then.

Well -- if I want to be thinned skinned about it, Marty for sure intended to imply he'd rather be on playoff team and he doesn't see this team getting there.  He makes it sound like he asked for the trade because the Devils weren't committed to winning. Clearly, he feels if they were, he'd be seeing more ice time.  That's the worst take I can put on his quote.

But the reality of it is, he wants to paint himself as someone who is in control.  In control of his career and being held back unfairly from taking control of his life on the ice.

Dude is not in control of several things and he has to admit this - he can't regain control until he faces certain facts.  He doesn't not have control of his sight.  He does not have control of his reaction time.  He does not have control of his body.  These things are going to do what they want, not what he wishes they'd do.  They have changed and to have a few good years left you have to take time to change with them and not do it in the limelight squealing about how others are stopping you from doing what you've got to do. 

You play on your own time if you don't get the start.  If you need to play every game to keep in your groove, you find a way to recreate it.  You can't learn on ice it's costing the team and that can't happen.  The team can't afford for you to find some groove you have no concept of how to find.  After 40 nothing "just clicks"  Just trust people Marty.  Just trust people.  They never lied to you before - they dont think old guy can't cut it they SEE OLD GUY CAN'T CUT IT.  So trust them PLEASE. You are the one betraying a trust no one else.

Guys are so NOT like women.  All his buddies see the way things are but know how guys are and think poor guy is just fvcked.  they dnt help him out and try to help him through it -- they just assume he won't hear.  because he's a dude.  Has Jagr said -- this is why I went to overseas - to make a nice transition away from the spotlight.  Marty you can't do that.  You're not a forward.  You're a goalie -- you have nothing that anyone will LET you hide behind.  There is no more Stevens Dano Neidermayer to cover your ass in transition periods or weak moments.  and you're NO HELP refusing to admit weakness.

whatever.  People are frustrated at your lack of trust and refusal to see YOU are the betrayer here.  No one has betrayed you except that they gave you all the rope you asked for. 

Man you know...  exhausting. 

• Like 1

TG questioned PDB as much as anyone will and that's where the "i don't look at save percentage" comment came from.

pete looks at wins marty has 15 in 30 games. cory has 12 in 33. it's ludicrous and stupid but that's what he's looking at.

we need to play marty in the "non-winnable" games more!! :boogie:

TG questioned PDB as much as anyone will and that's where the "i don't look at save percentage" comment came from.

pete looks at wins marty has 15 in 30 games. cory has 12 in 33. it's ludicrous and stupid but that's what he's looking at.

Reading TG's blog comments last night, he seems to value a win. He isn't looking much further than that. He just knows the Deviils have won more with Brodeur in net and that maybe there is something to that.

Edited by devilsrule33

i feel bad for Marty here. a lot of this stems from the outdoor game when he was hung out to dry on all those 2 and 3 on 1s.

I think people have definitely been unfairly mean-spirited towards Marty at times in the past for sure, but .884 is really hard to ignore, especially since he doesn't seem willing to acknowledge that he hasn't been playing well, and almost comes off like he's owed playing time at the expense of the guy who has been outplaying him by an absurd margin.  And .884 isn't built on one bad game. 

Pete is going to use whatever statistic fits to situation rather than say Lou is calling the shots re: Marty's play.

i couldve sworn i read a quotesomewhere where marty said yesterday that theres someone to blame, but its not Schneider or something like that but i cant find it now

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/03/devils_martin_brodeur_had_a_feeling_he_wouldnt_be_traded_happy_to_stay_in_new_jersey.html

"I've never had a bad relationship with any guy I've ever played with. Ever! Regardless of the amount of ice time I've had or other guys didn't have. There was never friction. I understand this is a coach's decision. But if I have anyone to blame, I won't blame it on Cory.. that's for sure. I'll blame it on somebody else first." --Brodeur

I took this as a shot @ Lou, for blindsiding Marty with the Schneider trade, with 1 year still left on Brodeur's contract.

Well -- if I want to be thinned skinned about it, Marty for sure intended to imply he'd rather be on playoff team and he doesn't see this team getting there.  He makes it sound like he asked for the trade because the Devils weren't committed to winning. Clearly, he feels if they were, he'd be seeing more ice time.  That's the worst take I can put on his quote.

But the reality of it is, he wants to paint himself as someone who is in control.  In control of his career and being held back unfairly from taking control of his life on the ice.

Dude is not in control of several things and he has to admit this - he can't regain control until he faces certain facts.  He doesn't not have control of his sight.  He does not have control of his reaction time.  He does not have control of his body.  These things are going to do what they want, not what he wishes they'd do.  They have changed and to have a few good years left you have to take time to change with them and not do it in the limelight squealing about how others are stopping you from doing what you've got to do. 

You play on your own time if you don't get the start.  If you need to play every game to keep in your groove, you find a way to recreate it.  You can't learn on ice it's costing the team and that can't happen.  The team can't afford for you to find some groove you have no concept of how to find.  After 40 nothing "just clicks"  Just trust people Marty.  Just trust people.  They never lied to you before - they dont think old guy can't cut it they SEE OLD GUY CAN'T CUT IT.  So trust them PLEASE. You are the one betraying a trust no one else.

Guys are so NOT like women.  All his buddies see the way things are but know how guys are and think poor guy is just fvcked.  they dnt help him out and try to help him through it -- they just assume he won't hear.  because he's a dude.  Has Jagr said -- this is why I went to overseas - to make a nice transition away from the spotlight.  Marty you can't do that.  You're not a forward.  You're a goalie -- you have nothing that anyone will LET you hide behind.  There is no more Stevens Dano Neidermayer to cover your ass in transition periods or weak moments.  and you're NO HELP refusing to admit weakness.

whatever.  People are frustrated at your lack of trust and refusal to see YOU are the betrayer here.  No one has betrayed you except that they gave you all the rope you asked for. 

Man you know...  exhausting. 

PK...have you been classified by a psychiatrist?  Because let me tell you brother, your posts are as vague as an Edgar Allen Poe piece.  Half the time I have no clue how to read your posts with any type of concreteness.  No offense man, just my observation.  Keep on postin man...lol

Admittedly, the last round of quotes were hard to take.  Marty really seems to come off like it's all about him right now.  I can't blame him for it entirely because Lou and PDB seem to be playing right into it, for reasons I can't grasp at all.  Funny, Lou was the last GM on Earth that I thought would allow a faded star to Messier his way into having too much power and too much say, but that's what's happening, and I can't believe that it actually is. 

One guy has an .884 save% in his last 16 starts and has given up 3+ goals 10 times in that stretch.

The other one has a .937 save% in his last 16 starts and has given 3+ goals twice. 

Is it too much to ask the beat guys to question Lou and PDB about this, why they seem to either be oblivious to this, or at the very least, seem very willing to ignore it?  Because I need this explained to me, how a guy whose play is clearly been among the worst as of late gets the same treatment as the guy whose play is just as clearly among the best.  Hell, if Marty was in the .900-.910 range somewhere over his last 16, I could at least understand it a little, but .884 is fvcking terrible, and there's no way to polish that one to make it look better than it really is.   

That’s what i was thinking, why isn't TG or anyone putting it to them like that.

Frustrating!!!