New York Mets Thread

Devils Pride 26

I heard Mets are shopping Sosa and Schoewenweis (during SNY telecast of the ST game a day ago).. Not really a surprise but I dont understand what they did with Sosa.. Halfway thru last season he was doing quite well as a starter, they moved him to the 'pen and went completely downhill after a week or two.. I thought Schoewenweis finished the year pretty strongly.. Considering we will have a bunch of guys with a chance to make the 'pen this year I wouldn't mind dealing both of them for a solid reliever.

And I still think, if he continues to do well, Rincon will make the team. Angel has been the best overall player so far though, he could be a great backup to Church or Alou (you know at least one of them will be out for a period of games)

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Mets are shopping Sosa and Schoewenweis (during SNY telecast of the ST game a day ago).. Not really a surprise but I dont understand what they did with Sosa.. Halfway thru last season he was doing quite well as a starter, they moved him to the 'pen and went completely downhill after a week or two.. I thought Schoewenweis finished the year pretty strongly.. Considering we will have a bunch of guys with a chance to make the 'pen this year I wouldn't mind dealing both of them for a solid reliever.

And I still think, if he continues to do well, Rincon will make the team. Angel has been the best overall player so far though, he could be a great backup to Church or Alou (you know at least one of them will be out for a period of games)

I don't think the Mets'll be shopping Sosa or Schoenweis now that Sanchez is out for a while (predictably) and will probably start the season on the DL.

The hits just keep on coming (only figuratively) for the Mets, now Alou had surgery on a hernia and will be out six weeks - blame me on that one, I jinxed it :doh1: The masochist in me can't wait to see the Opening Day lineup of Pagan, Abreu, Fernando Martinez, etc :P

Edited by Hasan4978

Santana pitched very well today giving up 1 run and two hits in 3 innings. He looked solid today as the Mets won in the bottom of the 9th inning to sweep Torre and the Dodgers in the preseason. Mets 5th win in a row in the pre-season.

Edited by SatansDevils

I don't think the Mets'll be shopping Sosa or Schoenweis now that Sanchez is out for a while (predictably) and will probably start the season on the DL.

The hits just keep on coming (only figuratively) for the Mets, now Alou had surgery on a hernia and will be out six weeks - blame me on that one, I jinxed it :doh1: The masochist in me can't wait to see the Opening Day lineup of Pagan, Abreu, Fernando Martinez, etc :P

I really hope Pagan gets Alou's spot.. hes been insane in spring training so far, by far the Mets top batter at this point in spring training

Spring training hitting is next to meaningless. I'd much rather look at the 150 games he played the last 2 seasons where he hit .255 with little power.

Spring training hitting is next to meaningless. I'd much rather look at the 150 games he played the last 2 seasons where he hit .255 with little power.

so we should pick a name out of a hat on who should take Alou's spot for the time hes out? Out of the possible replacements (Anderson, Chavez, F-Mart [too young], Pagan, Clark) I think Pagan has been most impressive

Well thats another possibility - signing a free agent.. But I actually think this team has good young rising stars. And Bonds wont be on the Mets; he wont wanna play as a backup fielder and a pinch hitter (well maybe its not that bad since he'll get an at bat a game).. BUT, NY hates him.. so, I can only see him going to some random AL team where he can DH

so we should pick a name out of a hat on who should take Alou's spot for the time hes out? Out of the possible replacements (Anderson, Chavez, F-Mart [too young], Pagan, Clark) I think Pagan has been most impressive

How is Pagan's .250 career batting average more impressive than Chavez's .270 career batting average?

Speaking of pagan he had another good day hitting a HR and another win for the Mets. I think Pagan can fill the role in LF for Alou until he comes back. It will only be a month and Pagan is showing that he has improved in the field and at bats.

BTW, nice bench clearing brawl on the field today between the Yankees and the Blue Jays. Blue Jays won 7-6.

Edited by SatansDevils

What are Pagan's minor league numbers? He is 26 with a mediocre 150 MLB games played but if his minor....actually I just checked, they are equally unimpressive. Crisp for Pagan straight up would be a coup of minor proportions.

So your basing the guy off of previous year performances? What matters is now.. and he is going up against some starting pitchers (ie: his 2 RBI vs Wakefield of the Red Sox).. I think your looking wayyy to much at previous year stats, its like your saying the guy cant get any better over an offseason.

And Chavez has played little-to-no time this spring training, in fact i dont recall him playing once.. If the season started tomorrow how can you pick Chavez over Pagan who is having a strong spring training?

So your basing the guy off of previous year performances? What matters is now.. and he is going up against some starting pitchers (ie: his 2 RBI vs Wakefield of the Red Sox).. I think your looking wayyy to much at previous year stats, its like your saying the guy cant get any better over an offseason.

And Chavez has played little-to-no time this spring training, in fact i dont recall him playing once.. If the season started tomorrow how can you pick Chavez over Pagan who is having a strong spring training?

The problem is these aren't meaningful games, even if you're facing frontline pitchers more often than not they're just working on stuff and location.

The season doesn't start tomorrow, so long as Chavez gets in a few games before the end of spring he'll play against right-handers and Pagan - or Crisp will play against lefties (and Crisp has a better average than Pagan against lefties). Chavez is a good platoon/fourth outfielder, he'll hit around .280 or so, steal some bases and play good defense.

Crisp can also be a good platoon outfielder with Chavez when Alou's on the DL and with Church after Alou comes off the DL, in addition Crisp can be a defensive replacement late in games and spell Beltran in center if he winds up missing time. I don't love Crisp but basically it's a free upgrade and all it costs is a little money.

I'm basing both players on their total combined major league and minor league history. Pagan's is much less impressive than Crisps is. Chavez vs Crisp would be an interesting argument since Crisp has had some pretty good minor league season while you know you're going get just decent production from Chavez at best. I would say, looking at the players total history I would rank them Crisp>Chavez>Pagan.

The best way to project a players future is to look at his entire body of work, especially the prior 3 years. Ignore spring training because there is no correlation between spring training stats and meaningful production.

Thats it? Well then im sure its nothing because according to a blog I read (metsblog.com) he says many sources have dismissed this rumor and it the 2 sides were never in negotiating..

And Pagan hit another HR today in the Mets 6-2 victory over Baltimore.

Well a cause for concern his Delgado.. he struck out twice last game and now in today's game he struck out all 3 at bats..

Edited by nmigliore

Bah guess Eddie C's gotta get better sources :P

Funny thing was I could see the logic of the trade for both sides, the Red Sox need to unload Crisp and there isn't much of a market for him, oh well. Having Pagan platoon early on isn't the worst thing in the world but if he falters the Mets will have to make some deal and probably need to address first base as well.

Xavier Nady would fit nicely on all counts but I doubt we could pry him back from the Pirates, though we do have a couple of chips left (Gotay, Joe Smith) we could trade I guess.