NBC Blocks Viewing Parties

thelastonealive

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/nbc_blocks_viewing_parties_harrold_happy_for_kings_hoping_to_face_them/

NBC Sports blocked the Devils from holding a viewing party for their fans at Prudential Center for tonight’s Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Finals at Madison Square Garden after allowing them to hold one for Game 2 of the series last week.

The Rangers, who had a viewing party at the Garden for Game 4 on Monday night, also will not be permitted to have one for Friday’s Game 6 at The Rock.

A source said the decision was ratings related.

moronic. the 5k fans that show up at pru or msg will not affect ratings.

I dont think its about ratings , but if it is , well is stupid 5k less people not tuning in, is not enough to make a one point dent on the ratings

Tetando do meu HTC EVO

More worried about the money than the fans. Fvck 'em I hate NBC. Exactly why they're rooting for the Ranjerks now. NYR/LA finals, big ratings, more $$ from advertisers... Let's throw a wrench in that plan!

They'll just make sure that the refs make all calls in favor of LA and we lose the series in 3 :P

What are the chances a Nielsen family member goes to a viewing party? Sometimes I wonder if that whole thing is a big charade and it's like in Assassins creed where the TV is watching you, not the other way around. :lol:

+1 on your post for the AC reference.

Edited by ben00rs

NBC is actually looking out for the fans best interests.

Not to be all preachy -- I'm learning from others annoying mistakes :P

You all understand that though right? Without the rating - no advertisers. No advertisers too lame a profit margin. Hockey gets replaced by American ninja reality TV on NBC Sports.

(I miss the Outdoor Life Channel :(. )

They stand to gain nothing by doing this merely to amuse themselves. Why don't you guys have your own viewing parties...

EVERYONE MEET AT JOE Bs!

and I'm not allowed to talk... <_< unless it's direct cake decoration or point out Scott Stevens cat-smells-somthing-bad hissy face...

Edited by Pepperkorn

This explains why the Rangers are holding a viewing party across the street from the garden at a bar on friday. Next they will be saying that bars can't show the game, and people are not allowed to invite friends over to watch. Furthermore, if multiple people in a household plan to watch, they must watch on different tv's each with their own cable/satellite receiver box.

Edited by Matteau#32

This explains why the Rangers are holding a viewing party across the street from the garden at a bar on friday. Next they will be saying that bars can't show the game, and people are not allowed to invite friends over to watch. Furthermore, if multiple people in a household plan to watch, they must watch on different tv's each with their own cable/satellite receiver box.

Maybe the Devils could do like a block party? Have the 3 bars on Edison all open their doors and allow fans to walk between the 3.. Then we storm Championship Plaza and rage out after the victory

Maybe the Devils could do like a block party? Have the 3 bars on Edison all open their doors and allow fans to walk between the 3.. Then we storm Championship Plaza and rage out after the victory

Speaking of ratings, did they release the ratings for yesterday? How have they been so far this series?

no only insane but also crazy. . . . . greed greed greed, ruining this country on every level

We control the cable TV greed. WE created the demand -- we agreed to shell out insane amounts. Seriously this is the one resources along with LeBron sneakers and sh!t like that that we have only OURSELVES to blame Cable used to be a commercial free zone because you paid for it. Well WE kept paying when they allowed advertisers. It's all on you dude... unless you don't have cable and haven't since the mid-80s.

I am very anti-corporate greed as most of you know - I have posted many a diatribe on cable TV.

While I still find NBC's decision to be pretty silly, I can kinda see how it would affect ratings. These things average about 1.0-2.0 if I understand correctly and for 3rd and 4th round playoff series that is still pretty low compared to NBA or MLB. I can kinda see how 2,000-3,000 fans at a viewing party might put at least a small dent in that. If they averaged like 8.0-10.0, then I doubt NBC would care.

I hate to say it but I bet they're just praying it makes a difference. I have a feeling NHL is going to get raped on the next contract. In ways this is just to take steam out of the Leagues answers for sh!tty ratings... I can hear Bettman's lackies now "Err...no viewers? Uhhh.... they were all at the viewing parties -- yeah!"

While I still find NBC's decision to be pretty silly, I can kinda see how it would affect ratings. These things average about 1.0-2.0 if I understand correctly and for 3rd and 4th round playoff series that is still pretty low compared to NBA or MLB. I can kinda see how 2,000-3,000 fans at a viewing party might put at least a small dent in that. If they averaged like 8.0-10.0, then I doubt NBC would care.

DevsMan84...you are sadly mistaken.

The viewing party would not cause any sort of blip in the ratings WHATSOEVER. Do you know how ratings are calculated?