DISCUSSION: General Deadline Thoughts

Weekes Head

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, Pierre Maguire also picked the Devs as a deadline loser......

Said they made great pickups in Kozlov and Hrdina

But not adding at the very least a serviceable defenseman will cost them, said Stevens coming back for the 1st round is not as likely as everyone thinks......

Come On You People Can See How Upset I am, I was really expecting a dman.....It sort of feels like Im a kid waking up on Christmas and getting nothing

I dont have any inside info on Stevens, all I know is that when Stevens was asked about regular season play, he skirted the question and talked about how important it is to rest for a playoff series rather than a late season game with no implication......When he was asked about 1st round playoff series, he was noncommittal and just said I should be able to play in "a" playoff series......

Come On You People Can See How Upset I am, I was really expecting a dman.....It sort of feels like Im a kid waking up on Christmas and getting nothing

I remember once, when I was 13. I asked my parents for my own TV set. They always had a way of putting little notes, like "find your gift in the spare room closet", so I opened every gift carefully. Meticulously. Checking in every crevase looking for the note. After all the presents were opened and I was standing amongs a pile of new clothes, games, new baseball glove, remote control R2-D2.... I started kicking stuff and told my parents that I hated them. I took all my gifts and threw them in the kitchen garbage can.

Santa brought me a big forward and centre that can win a few face-offs. I'm not complaining that he didn't bring me a TV set.

so is there still hope?

:rolleyes:

I give up. I really really do. Type until you're red in the fingers and all you accomplish is wasting time off your life. I'm gonna go read a book....

coldply, the odds were against us no matter who Lou added this year. That's been my point all along, I'm not saying this team is going to go to the Stanley Cup Finals. Witt, Carney, etc., they would not have helped as much as you think. Nor were they probably ever available. Lou wasn't going for the Gonchar solution, so we're left with depth defensemen. He should have gotten one. But that won't make a huge difference, IMO.

No matter who they added, they wouldn't be the favorite.

Repeating is very difficult. Lou has put us in a good position to repeat, by adding two forwards. He has seen that to play against Toronto or Philadelphia, we need a big center, and a center who can win faceoffs.. He got that. Toronto and Philadelphia have undergone quite a few changes, and it's unclear how those will work out. Lou made the safe move again, he didn't mess with chemistry, and he addressed needs. That's all he could have done. It's nice to say your team is the favorite when they add a bunch of players at the deadline, but look at the 99 Wings, 03 Leafs, or any Philadelphia team. It doesn't always work out.

Edited by Triumph

Don, you do understand why people are worried right? This team has looked bad againat good teams since Stevens left and even when he comes back who is to say he will be close to the Scott Stevens we know and love and need to be successful? There are a lot more question marks surrounding this team than in years past. Combine that with the upgrades of the other contending teams and you have worry.

Edited by PeteyNice

so is there still hope?

:rolleyes:

I give up. I really really do. Type until you're red in the fingers and all you accomplish is wasting time off your life. I'm gonna go read a book....

ha ha actually i have been more productive then you... reading a book myself the past 3 hours. Thucydides is my choice, whats yours?

Hah. Thucydides is great reading for trade deadline time. But enough about that, I can drone on for hours about that stuff.

By the way, those of you hoping for another deal, I see it as VERY unlikely. The deals trickling through now are the less important deals, and were probably processed last by the league.

Don, you do understand why people are worried right? This team has looked bad againat good teams since Stevens left and even when he comes back who is to say he will be close to the Scott Stevens we know and love and need to be successful? There are a lot more question marks surrounding this team than in years past. Combine that with the upgrades of the other contending teams and you have worry.

Pete: *sigh* Maybe it's a matter of 8 years of ranting and raving on mailing lists and now web-boards about what Lou has or has not done, what the coach has or has not done, what a player has or has not done has worn on this old vet. I'm more willing to go with the flow. No more fists in the wall. No more pulling out of the hair (mostly because it was all pulled out in previous deadlines).

Never again do I "worry" about the Devils. I'm going to enjoy whatever Lou serves up. No more tilting at windmills. No more raising Cain.

Do I know that we've had trouble against +500 teams? I think it was I that documented that last week.... Do I know that we've had trouble keeping the puck out of own net? Absolutely.

Maybe I'm just grateful for R2-D2 and the new clothes. And the fact that we still have a chance, as limited as some people feel it is due to the above reasons, to compete. I'm gonna enjoy my hockey and cheer on the Devils the best I can without getting all worked up that Lou didn't get me a TV set.

I remember once, when I was 13. I asked my parents for my own TV set. They always had a way of putting little notes, like "find your gift in the spare room closet", so I opened every gift carefully. Meticulously. Checking in every crevase looking for the note. After all the presents were opened and I was standing amongs a pile of new clothes, games, new baseball glove, remote control R2-D2.... I started kicking stuff and told my parents that I hated them. I took all my gifts and threw them in the kitchen garbage can.

Santa brought me a big forward and centre that can win a few face-offs. I'm not complaining that he didn't bring me a TV set.

YOU BRAT!!!!!! :angry:

Pete: *sigh* Maybe it's a matter of 8 years of ranting and raving on mailing lists and now web-boards about what Lou has or has not done, what the coach has or has not done, what a player has or has not done has worn on this old vet. I'm more willing to go with the flow. No more fists in the wall. No more pulling out of the hair (mostly because it was all pulled out in previous deadlines).

Never again do I "worry" about the Devils. I'm going to enjoy whatever Lou serves up. No more tilting at windmills. No more raising Cain.

Do I know that we've had trouble against +500 teams? I think it was I that documented that last week.... Do I know that we've had trouble keeping the puck out of own net? Absolutely.

Maybe I'm just grateful for R2-D2 and the new clothes. And the fact that we still have a chance, as limited as some people feel it is due to the above reasons, to compete. I'm gonna enjoy my hockey and cheer on the Devils the best I can without getting all worked up that Lou didn't get me a TV set.

8 years on the List? Damn, time flies. I wanted to keep the TV analogy going but I think a car analogy works better. When you have gotten Ferraris every year you start to expect them. Then one year you get a Z3 and it is cool but everyone on your block is getting a Porsche, you get a little disappointed and concerned that you cannot keep up with them. I will enjoy the Devils no matter what but with the lockout coming next year and the chance at back to back Cups and four in 10 years you really hoped to get that Ferrari just one more time.

Edited by PeteyNice

No, I was on another AOL based mailing list before joining Brian's in mid-97. It's only been 6 and a bit there. Still a long time. (-:

I'm happy with my Z3. It will make it all that more memorable when we beat the Porsches. One of those "against all odds" type deals. (-:

Fate could be worse. We could have Mario's Yugo. :P

Edited by Don Whiting

I must say I'm surprised that they didn't get another defenseman - even if Stevens is back in plenty of time for the playoffs, they still have two rookies and a wearing-down Albelin among the candidates for the final D pairing. I'm especially suprised they didn't get Hill after the market dwindled for him. If he was a UFA (I'm not sure of his contract status), Lou had the Canes over a barrel and still passed; I guess that would mean Hill REALLY sucks :lol:

I'm shocked they are going to go into the playoffs apparently with Clemmensen as the backup - unless the Devils not trading for a backup is an indication that Schwab's a little better off than it seemed as if he was. Still I'd at least give Clemmensen more of an opportunity down the stretch (starting with Thursday) to prove he can do the job AND to rest Marty regardless.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.