The Devils Minority partners are looking to sell their share.

ghdi

@TGFireandIce: For those asking, I'm not sure at this point that the story that Devils are for sale is accurate. Expect to hear something specific shortly.

only becasue of the Mets situation am I asking but did VBK lose anything with Madoff?

He could just have a cash flow problem and need a minority owner for liquidity.

(edit, I know about lehman brother going bankrupt, i'm just wondering about madoff in addition to LEH)

Edited by Joe B

only becasue of the Mets situation am I asking but did VBK lose anything with Madoff?

He could just have a cash flow problem and need a minority owner for liquidity.

to say the least....would think ex employees at lehman would have lost a significant amount in options and stock related equity at least

I guess I truly am in the minority in feeling more curiosity than panic about this news. I like JVB and his involvement with the team, but I have heard lots of people imply he got hurt by the Lehman collapse and I may be greedy but I want a mega rich owner (read : Billionaire). I still dream of a all Jersey combo of baseball, Hockey, basketball and football all with their own cable network (okay so I'm delusional as well).

I wouldn't be shocked if JVB were selling a piece of the team, much like the Wilpon's and the Mets. Knowing JVB, if it is a full sale, he'd stipulate the team staying in NJ for X number of years. Saying that, I think Bettman and the NHL would LOVE to move the Devils. Remember 1995? It seemed like they were all for the move. I'm going to go with TG on this and I'm sure it's not what we think.

Just think, in 1995, they threatened to move, they won the cup. In 2000, The sale from JM to YankeeNets, won the cup. It's nice to dream.

Okay, the team isnt' being moved, at least half it's value is the arena that then own. If anyone was to buy they woudl want that asset which is where the money is made from these teams. How many billionaires do we have in NJ to pick from?

the arena wouldn't be sold. hell, the team might not be for sale. there is more than one owner, you know.

the arena wouldn't be sold. hell, the team might not be for sale. there is more than one owner, you know.

I've actually been trying to verify that very sentiment for the past 10 minutes or so. Everything I can find talks about when Vanderbeek became a limited partner in 2000 and bought the team "outright" in 2004. Can't find anything saying otherwise.