Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has sent captain Jason Arnott to the New Jersey Devils in exchange for forward Matt Halischuk and New Jersey’s second-round selection in the 2011 Entry Draft.

Halischuk, 22 (6/1/88), split the 2009-10 season between New Jersey and Albany (AHL), posting a pair of points (1g-1a) in 20 NHL games and 22 points (11g-11a) in 32 AHL contests. In his rookie professional season of 2008-09 the Toronto, Ont., native amassed 29 points (14g-15a) in 47 games for Lowell, and also made his NHL debut with the Devils, notching one assist.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=532100

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Straight out of left field. I guess nothing changes with Lou. Weird that I was watching some YouTube videos this morning of the 2000 Devils team and Arnott's OT winner.

You have to wonder how many times Lou has tried to bring Arnott back. And how many threads has this board had with posters asking for the return of Arnott? Not a bad deal at all.

I always liked Arnott so it's nice to see him back. What does this mean for the Devils cap situation in retaining potential free agents like Kovalchuk or Martin?

kiss kovy goodbye for sure, and martin quite possibly is now a goner.

but fear not, i'm sure mike mottau will be overpaid to plague our blueline in martin's abscence.

Seriously, i'm glad we got a legit center and we didnt settle on re-acquiring Madden, but taking on $4.5 mil when we still have an overpaid senior citizen in Rolston is not smart.

The Devils do need size and a center, but this could be a sign of things to come or that the Preds could be having a fire sale. They need to address their defensive corps as well. Good move by Lou though, but I think this is purely to get Elias out of the funk he is in.

The Devils do need size and a center, but this could be a sign of things to come or that the Preds could be having a fire sale. They need to address their defensive corps as well. Good move by Lou though, but I think this is purely to get Elias out of the funk he is in.

old friend helps ignite his game? i could see it

sorry for being a chicken little off the bat, just po-ed that its a big cap hit.

Halischuk don't know much about him...not all that impressed when I saw him play. Seems like got pushed around a bit. Maybe a fringe NHLer/defensive forward when a bulks up.

But a 2nd rounder...for a 35 soon to be 36 year old who's been in a steady statistical decline?

Halischuk don't know much about him...not all that impressed when I saw him play. Seems like got pushed around a bit. Maybe a fringe NHLer/defensive forward when a bulks up.

But a 2nd rounder...for a 35 soon to be 36 year old who's been in a steady statistical decline?

think about it this way: halischuk couldnt stay healthy in 2 seasons as a pro. was hurt every 20 games or so.

we need leaders and arnott is one.

plus if langs starts crying again, he can kiss the c goodbye and arnott can fill right in

Awesome, a big center, just what the doctor ordered.

How about Elias-Arnott-Zubrus ! That's a filthy line :cheers:

...Ten years ago. :P

Well, I have mixed feelings. I don't want to be a negative prick and I'm happy we got a center who can still score. At the same time, I know bringing back vets from the past hasn't done wonders so far and Lou just sticks to the same way of doing things. Arnott only has one year on his contract, so the cap hit won't be painful for too long, but it sure costs us in terms of signing UFAs this year (ours or from other teams). Is it Lou telling us not to hope for re-signing Kovy?

I wonder what Lou is going to do five years from now, when all the dinosaurs from our past teams retire. I guess he will be gone by then, too, but we'll see. Like I said, I don't want to whine about everything, but having a team with an average player age of 40 and stuck in the past forever doesn't make me an optimist.

Kudos to LL for being active, though. He's doing a lot this year and I hope I'm wrong and it all plays out well.

I've done nothing all day except sit, bored out of my mind, on this site and Facebook. I go take a half-hour nap and come back to this?

I'm highly confused.

Great to see we got a legit center. Parise/Zajac/Langenbrunner and Elias/Arnott/Zubrus is a pretty nice 1A/1B top line combo. But I'm guessing it's gonna be nearly impossible to keep both Kovy and Martin now. Which sucks noodles.

Arnott really isn't very good at all anymore. Injuries are a major issue for him, he's breaking down, he's really slow now, he's below average on face-offs. With his cap hit, this is just not a good move, regardless of what they gave up for him.

1 year with a much better free agent class next year defensively speaking

i'm all for giving the kids a shot though.