NHL 2011 Draft Lottery

ZeroGravityFat

Hmm. As to who we should use our pick on this draft, it's gonna be interesting. Personally, I have no opinion yet as who the Devils should use that pick on. We should go for the best player available in any case, and hope he pans out well in a couple years, maybe less if he's good enough. One thing's for sure, what makes this exciting is that we're almost assured a GOOD player. Let's hope whoever it is pans out well and can help the Devils in a year or two.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Bill Murray LOL

Sat there for about an hour talking about the top 5 guys with the other 4 GMs on what they we're planning on doing, all mouth watering... then he get bumped 6th...

not that big of a deal to go from 5 to 6 but just the fact that he went there and all for nothing hahaha

I honestly feel bad for Ottawa. If you go to there HF board, there some hilarious stuff going on in there.

lol yeah i was going through their Draft Lottery thread... just skipping and skipping pages to find "the moment" hahaha it was totally worth it... hilarious to read stuff they posted during the day like "As long as we don't fall to 6th, i'll be ok." :rofl:

good stuff lol

I like how the geniuses from the NHL and Versus couldn't figure out that the graphic behind Daly read "DRAFT LOTTERY 2010".

Thats photoshopped and is from last year. His shirt and tie were completely different this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/draft/2011#&navid=nav-nws-drft

They had it correct last night.

2wg9b9f.jpg

Edited by ghdi

Thank you gents.

NHL.com has the actual footage of the numbers being drawn. I would love to had been there after the camera was turned off. :evil:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=108174

I don't get the 4 numbers thing... can someone explain it to me ?

I understand each numbers' associated with a team, but why 4 numbers ?

Edited by Devilzibook

When you buy a lottery ticket, generally the way it works is you pick a set amount of numbers, and you win if all of your numbers are picked (regardless of order).

The the NHL draft lottery works the same way. 4 numbers are chosen out of the choices 1 through 14. They figure out all of the possible combinations of numbers (which equals 1001), and randomly assign combinations to each team. Some teams get assigned more number combinations based on their end of the season standings. The devils were assigned 36 out of 1001 number combinations if I am not mistaken.

The math for the total combination number works like this:

14x13x12x11=24,024

4x3x2x1=24

24,024/24=1001

When you buy a lottery ticket, generally the way it works is you pick a set amount of numbers, and you win if all of your numbers are picked (regardless of order).

The the NHL draft lottery works the same way. 4 numbers are chosen out of the choices 1 through 14. They figure out all of the possible combinations of numbers (which equals 1001), and randomly assign combinations to each team. Some teams get assigned more number combinations based on their end of the season standings. The devils were assigned 36 out of 1001 number combinations if I am not mistaken.

The math for the total combination number works like this:

14x13x12x11=24,024

4x3x2x1=24

24,024/24=1001

Nooow I understand :rolleyes: !! Thanks man

RNH if he is avail.....

Otherwise, I would go Larsson, Hamilton or Beaulieu (in that order).

We have forward talent for years to come, and depth D but no #1.

I don't think we go BPA, I think we need to draft what we need (and 4th overall is way to high for our future goalie).

Though RNH and Larsson would fit BPA if still available at 4th.

RNH if he is avail.....

Otherwise, I would go Larsson, Hamilton or Beaulieu (in that order).

We have forward talent for years to come, and depth D but no #1.

Uh, no we don't. All of our legit forward prospects are either in the NHL or in the AHL. Not that this is a bad thing, but we have almost nothing coming up the pipeline beyond the current crop that are in the pros.

Our defensive prospects are also much better than just "depth D". Merrill could very well be a top-pairing defenseman down the line. Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon, etc. are all projected as potential mid-pairing guys as well. Hamilton and Beaulieu might be fine defensemen but it's not worth passing up on a potential elite forward for them. Larsson is the only defenseman we should take.

Kovy's here for the next million years, hopefully Zach, Zajac and the "kids" Palmeiri / Josefson / Tedenby are all here for the long haul.

That is forward talent for quite some time.... aka years to come.

As for "D", your Mid Pairing comment is exactly why I suggest we use the pick to get a potential Doughty (unless RNH is available).

For whatever reason, I am big fan of Hamilton....

Kovy's here for the next million years, hopefully Zach, Zajac and the "kids" Palmeiri / Josefson / Tedenby are all here for the long haul.

That is forward talent for quite some time.... aka years to come.

Like I said, these players are all in the pros, and will have an impact on the immediate future. But we have no real top-6 forward prospects in college or juniors right now. That is not good.