The Thread Formerly Known as The Reasons for Optimism Thread

Colorado Rockies 1976

No it hasn't.  We're playing 9 of 13 games at home with only one set of back to backs.  Our record is significantly better against the lesser teams than it is against the better teams.  Regardless of how good we've been against the lesser teams, it still doesn't change the fact it's still better to have these games against the lesser teams than the better teams.

1. 12 of 13 games are against lesser teams.

2. 9 of 13 games are at home.

3. Only one set of back to backs.

All of this equates to a favorable schedule.

It was a bad loss, but the Panthers also just beat the Sharks in San Jose.

So basically, you think a team that hasn't strung 3 wins together since November will suddenly be able to put up roughly 8 wins in the next 10 games.

No schedule is favorable to this team. It's been nearly 70 games and they've yet to show any signs of consistency.

As for Florida beating San Jose, so what?? The point is that NO game is "easy" for this Devils team. They just don't have things coming together for them.

Several factors come into play regarding the consistency thing.  The sheer number of back to backs is one.  We now have a chance to get some consistency with 9 of 13 games being at home, and only one more back to back.  Also Deboer has to stop trying to fix things that aren't broke.

How are Henrique, Zajac, Elias, and Clowe not reaching expectations?

Back to back games account for 50% of out points. If anything we play better in back to back games. In 17 back to backs we have only failed to pick up points on 3 occasions. in 7 of the back to backs so far we have got 3 or more points.

Also we have 4 more back to back games this season:

22nd:leafs

23rd Rags

31st: Panthers

1st:Sabers

4th:capitals

5th:Hurricanes

10th: Senators

11th: Islanders

(how F*cking difficult is it to paste a table into this thing)

Edit: i got so wrapped up in putting the table in i forgot my main point. The Back to backs are not the reason for the teams inconsistent play. They just havent been that good in any situation.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hell I mean, it could happen.  I also could win the lottery, but you don't see me spending my savings on mega millions tickets.

Hell, I pointed out a specific Devils team that DID go on a "Holy sh!t!" streak, but MB keeps looking reaching for shaky specifics as to how everything is somehow lining up for the Devils.  If they somehow pull it off, awesome, but there's not one shred of evidence that points to the Devils pulling off '88 all over again.     

No it hasn't.  We're playing 9 of 13 games at home with only one set of back to backs.  Our record is significantly better against the lesser teams than it is against the better teams.  Regardless of how good we've been against the lesser teams, it still doesn't change the fact it's still better to have these games against the lesser teams than the better teams.

1. 12 of 13 games are against lesser teams.

2. 9 of 13 games are at home.

3. Only one set of back to backs.

All of this equates to a favorable schedule.

It was a bad loss, but the Panthers also just beat the Sharks in San Jose.

What the hell does how the Panthers played against SJ have to with this discussion? That actually means zero. Nothing. Nada. That kind of statement says, "I don't even watch the NHL."

Secondly, just because (in your words) we have favorable circumstances coming up, means nothing also. There really isn't such a thing as a 'favorable schedule.' In a broad sense, teams don't win much more or less when they have more back-to-backs, more home games, or easier opponents. The issue with the records you posted (below) is that they are so close that there is no reasonable evidence to suggest the Devils will go on a long enough streak to make the playoffs. 

VS top 10 teams: 9-11-4 (.458 PTS%)

VS middle 10 teams: 11-9-6 (.538 PTS%)

VS bottom 10 teams: 9-7-3 (.553 PTS%)

The issue is that your talking like it is completely reasonable that we could go 10-3-1 when we don't have a streak even close to that in 2 years. Heck, we can't even win 3 games in a row. It seems like your joking when you post something like the above. It disproves your point if anything. If we were 16-3-0 vs. the bottom ten and 6-15-3 against the top ten then you MIGHT, MIGHT have a point.

Edited by Neb00rs