2010 MLB Thread

devilsrule33

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

getting lost in the shuffle, the Marlins brought up their phenom, the other Mike Stanton and he went 3-5 for them. Now if only Jesus Montero was mashing like last year for the Yankees, all the phenoms would be up

Its been a great year for rookies; from hitters like Brennan Boesch, Austin Jackson, Jason Heyward, Ike Davis, David Freese to pitchers like Jaime Garcia, Mike Leake (who didn't even need the minor leagues), John Ely, and Stephen Strasburg.

edit: You can throw Mike Stanton and Buster Posey on here too, among many others.

Edited by nmigliore

Strasburg was filthy. If this Harper kid is half as amazing as that SI article made him out to be, the Nats could have a Tampa-like turnaround in their future.

yeah but the rest of their system doesn't have near the depth Tampa did. They've got a few guys there now like Lannan and Desmond, but they don't have great prospects being blocked by other great prospects like Tampa did and still does. Plus Harper won't be around for at least 2-3 years anyway

• 2 weeks later...

Hamilton is hitting like crazy, Vlad Guerrero and Colby Lewis are looking like terrific offseason pickups for them, and converting C.J. Wilson into a starter has really worked out well too. As a whole, their bullpen and lineup (despite Smoak not having a huge impact... yet) rank near the top in the AL. Their starting rotation could use some work though; after Lewis and Wilson there isn't much to like (Hunter has been good I guess, but hes due for some regression).

Good for Texas though, I hope they win that division. I originally picked Seattle to win it.... um, yikes. No comment on that right now.

Vlad has got beaned more than once. Hamilton is........... on a hot streak.

Its early I know, but I gotta appreciate at least one TX team doing ok (Houston blows)

Mets ticking on nicely, hope it continues....

We won't beat you with our pitching, we WILL beat you with our bats.....

All good lol, play ball.......

Hamilton is hitting like crazy, Vlad Guerrero and Colby Lewis are looking like terrific offseason pickups for them, and converting C.J. Wilson into a starter has really worked out well too. As a whole, their bullpen and lineup (despite Smoak not having a huge impact... yet) rank near the top in the AL. Their starting rotation could use some work though; after Lewis and Wilson there isn't much to like (Hunter has been good I guess, but hes due for some regression).

Good for Texas though, I hope they win that division. I originally picked Seattle to win it.... um, yikes. No comment on that right now.

let's just wait until August though when it gets really hot there. I still (maybe blindly) believe in the Angels

Vlad has got beaned more than once. Hamilton is........... on a hot streak.

Its early I know, but I gotta appreciate at least one TX team doing ok (Houston blows)

Mets ticking on nicely, hope it continues....

We won't beat you with our pitching, we WILL beat you with our bats.....

All good lol, play ball.......

Its too bad they pretty much can't add any payroll with their ownership transfer though. A top 3 of, say, Oswalt-Lewis-Wilson with their already strong lineup and bullpen would make them pretty scary. If they don't mind trading in-division they could go all out for Cliff Lee though, perhaps. That would make them even scarier since hes better than Oswalt. I still think a more likely scenario is them going after someone cheap like Brett Myers, whose been great for the Astros this year and is finally suppressing the longball.

re: the Angels - DH, yeah I'm not counting them out by any stretch, though they have been pretty mediocre all around so far. Losing Kendry Morales (how silly was that, btw?) hurts too.

Edited by nmigliore

yeah that Morales thing is what really made me think they won't do it this year, but really who knows at this point. They always do find a way to get it done even though I'd probably be more afraid of Texas in the playoffs. If ANA couldn't do it last year with Morales and Guerrero and the team of destiny thing with Adenhart, then I'm really not afraid of them as a Yankee fan

Its too bad they pretty much can't add any payroll with their ownership transfer though. A top 3 of, say, Oswalt-Lewis-Wilson with their already strong lineup and bullpen would make them pretty scary. If they don't mind trading in-division they could go all out for Cliff Lee though, perhaps. That would make them even scarier since hes better than Oswalt. I still think a more likely scenario is them going after someone cheap like Brett Myers, whose been great for the Astros this year and is finally suppressing the longball.

re: the Angels - DH, yeah I'm not counting them out by any stretch, though they have been pretty mediocre all around so far. Losing Kendry Morales (how silly was that, btw?) hurts too.

Interesting point there lol. Astros pitching ain't too shabby. It's their offense that needs some help. With Berkman, Lee, and Pence they've got some good hitters, they just need some back-up. You know, someone to put the ball in play.

Interesting point there lol. Astros pitching ain't too shabby. It's their offense that needs some help. With Berkman, Lee, and Pence they've got some good hitters, they just need some back-up. You know, someone to put the ball in play.

Yeah the Astros biggest problem is they have no offense. Like, really, none. Even their best hitter, Hunter Pence, has only been a bit above average this year. Everybody else has been just awful, including Berkman and Lee. Maybe Jason Castro and Chris Johnson will give them a bit of a shot in the arm.

Actually, their biggest problem is reluctance to rebuild. Hopefully they finally get a clue and start doing so. Trading Oswalt would be a start. Unfortunately they are stuck with Lee at a ridiculous price for another 2 years.

Edited by nmigliore

I'll actually be hoping the Mets can whip the Twinkies while Detroit wipes up the Braves!!!

Tigers can SMELL the Div lead!! banana.gif

Yeah the Astros biggest problem is they have no offense. Like, really, none. Even their best hitter, Hunter Pence, has only been a bit above average this year. Everybody else has been just awful, including Berkman and Lee. Maybe Jason Castro and Chris Johnson will give them a bit of a shot in the arm.

Actually, their biggest problem is reluctance to rebuild. Hopefully they finally get a clue and start doing so. Trading Oswalt would be a start. Unfortunately they are stuck with Lee at a ridiculous price for another 2 years.

the problem is that Drayton McClane thinks that the team will do what it did with Beltran five years ago and suddenly go on a great run. Unfortunately, Clemens, Pettite, and Beltran aren't there and Berkman looks shot

the problem is that Drayton McClane thinks that the team will do what it did with Beltran five years ago and suddenly go on a great run. Unfortunately, Clemens, Pettite, and Beltran aren't there and Berkman looks shot

That Beltran trade pissed me off big time. Houston has to rebuild. It also hurt when Biggio retired, he had like over 3000 career hits IIRC.

Berkman, I agree looks disinterested. I wouldn't be surprised if he demands a trade a-la Oswalt.I don't know Lance's contract status.

Sometimes you just have to tubula rasa and start over. Finance isn't a problem for the Astros, they have tremendous fan support.

Wow, the no hitters just keep on coming. This time its Edwin Jackson, who walked 8 batters (!!) and threw 149 pitches (!!!!). Wow.

A.J. Burnett did something similar vs the Padres 9 years ago; 9 walks and 129 pitches and nailed down the no hitter.

Edited by nmigliore

Wow, the no hitters just keep on coming. This time its Edwin Jackson, who walked 8 batters (!!) and threw 149 pitches (!!!!). Wow.

A.J. Burnett did something similar vs the Padres 9 years ago; 9 walks and 129 pitches and nailed down the no hitter.

I wonder how Edwin Jackson feels about it. I know A.J. is pretty embarrassed by his no-no.

Hilarious that it is Tampa on the wrong end of it again.

Edited by devilsrule33

9 walks in a game is pretty bad. It's not something a pitcher wants his no hitter to be remembered by.

http://bit.ly/avKLvZ

Scroll down to most embarrassing moment in baseball.

9 walks and zero hits still probably equals 0 runs, so I'm sure he'd take it every game lol. Nothing to feel bad about

Wow, Joey Votto didn't make the All Star Game but Ryan Howard did? Lol please, Howard hasn't been on Votto's level this year.

And how does Omar Infante, the utility infielder of a .721 OPS, make it? What?

Josh Willingham has the 2nd best wOBA among all outfielders in baseball this year, yet he didn't make it; pretty big snub there too.

Whatever, the whole voting system/manager selection crap is a joke anyway.