What was the worst trade in Devils history

roomtemp

I'll never forgive Lou for trading Terreri... twice. I even wrote him a letter to explain my shock and contempt after the first one. Pretty sure He wanted out so he could actually play, but what 11 year old is going to be reasonable?

Thats awesome an 11-year old writing an angry letter to Lou about trading Terreri. No one can ever say youre not a hardcore fan of this team lol

Lou tried shaking up the '96 team a few times throughout the season (they started fast, then went into a general malaise for much of the rest of the year...they went .500 in their last 78 games, after starting 4-0)...nothing he did seemed to get the team going that year...he tried to spark the offense with Andreychuk and Housley. Richer in particular had a dreadful season that year...turned out, unbeknownst to almost everyone, he was suffering from depression.

ugh, that 96-97 season killed me. The Devils would've been in 4th place had they been in the Western Conference.

ugh, that 96-97 season killed me. The Devils would've been in 4th place had they been in the Western Conference.

I was referring to the '95-'96 season actually. It was a tough year to watch the Devils. The funny thing is, if you check out their regular season records to that point, the only one that was impressive in the franchise's entire history was '93-'94. '95 was nothing special (22-18-8), and neither was '96 (37-33-12)...you could almost argue that '93-'94 was flukey if you wanted to, as '95 and '95-'96 were much more in line with the seasons that came before '93-'94. But from '97-on, just about every season has seen the Devils put up terrific regular season records, year after year after year.

I was referring to the '95-'96 season actually. It was a tough year to watch the Devils. The funny thing is, if you check out their regular season records to that point, the only one that was impressive in the franchise's entire history was '93-'94. '95 was nothing special (22-18-8), and neither was '96 (37-33-12)...you could almost argue that '93-'94 was flukey if you wanted to, as '95 and '95-'96 were much more in line with the seasons that came before '93-'94. But from '97-on, just about every season has seen the Devils put up terrific regular season records, year after year after year.

i wrote 96-97 but meant 95-96. you are totally correct.

Thats awesome an 11-year old writing an angry letter to Lou about trading Terreri. No one can ever say youre not a hardcore fan of this team lol

. During the summer of '94 (when I was 15), I wrote Lou a letter begging him to resign Stevens. I actually got a letter back from Lou signed in ink, telling me not to worry- that he would not let Scotty get away. The final sentence above his signature was 'He will be a Devil'. Sure enough, Scotty was signed to a new deal not long after that. I wish I still had that letter, I lost it when I moved. I've torn my apartment apart looking for it, but I can't find it anywhere.

. During the summer of '94 (when I was 15), I wrote Lou a letter begging him to resign Stevens. I actually got a letter back from Lou signed in ink, telling me not to worry- that he would not let Scotty get away. The final sentence above his signature was 'He will be a Devil'. Sure enough, Scotty was signed to a new deal not long after that. I wish I still had that letter, I lost it when I moved. I've torn my apartment apart looking for it, but I can't find it anywhere.

Lol aww man that letter would be like getting a letter from the pope! Lou is the man. Also funny to see how hardcore our fanbase was as kids. Such a demanding fan base we have kids writing the general manager haha love it

Lol aww man that letter would be like getting a letter from the pope! Lou is the man. Also funny to see how hardcore our fanbase was as kids. Such a demanding fan base we have kids writing the general manager haha love it

. Let me tell you- when I opened the envelope and read it, my jaw damn near hit the floor. I was a kid, but I wasn't incredibly naive- I never expected a response. I just wanted my voice to be heard, so I did the only thing I could. The fact Lou took the time to reply to me, a 15 year old high school about-to-be sophomore, told me a lot about the kind of guy Lou is. I appreciate that to this day. I'll always appreciate it. Edited by MadDog2020

Not to turn the thread, but Lou responds to every handwritten letter personally. If you ever want direct contact with Lou, that's a guaranteed avenue. You may just need to wait a bit for him to get to the random letters but he will. A great thing he does for the fans, IMO.

Not to turn the thread, but Lou responds to every handwritten letter personally. If you ever want direct contact with Lou, that's a guaranteed avenue. You may just need to wait a bit for him to get to the random letters but he will. A great thing he does for the fans, IMO.
. It's awesome that he does that. I had no idea he did that though. The fact I didn't expect him to respond actually made it more special for me getting a reply. I doubt many know Lou has a policy like that, but it goes with his old school nature.

. It's awesome that he does that. I had no idea he did that though. The fact I didn't expect him to respond actually made it more special for me getting a reply. I doubt many know Lou has a policy like that, but it goes with his old school nature.

I think it's great too. I try to spread the knowledge around so Lou gets his proper due for it. Also, in case anyone else wants to get his attention :lol:

I think it's great too. I try to spread the knowledge around so Lou gets his proper due for it. Also, in case anyone else wants to get his attention :lol:

Well then, Lou better look out, because I'm about to turn my 9 year old brother into a front for my complaints, lol. I think I might suggest he write a letter anyways because if his reaction to getting Chico's signature is any comparison, he might die if Lou wrote him a letter.

Malakhov+1st and Rolston for Hunter are obvious #1s, but how about Lou trading for then trading Steve Staios in the same summer? Staios became a pretty solid tough minute defender not long after.

wait, what? neither of those were bad trades per se. they were necessary because of the position lou was in but to say "worst" is ridiculous. i remember us being ecstatic that he dumped rolston.

wait, what? neither of those were bad trades per se. they were necessary because of the position lou was in but to say "worst" is ridiculous. i remember us being ecstatic that he dumped rolston.

Obviously, but they're bad on their face - they're giving up something useful for something useless. We only know about this sort of trade because of the salary cap - we don't know if, say, Verbeek for S. Turgeon was also motivated by financial concerns (and we know that John McMullen was counting pennies at that time)

Anyone remember the exact circumstances for the Souray deal? Sheldon Souray, a former 2nd round pick, and a future 2nd to the Canadiens for Malakhov.

Malakhov was a player on the decline and was a solid, yet unspectacular player during the Cup run while Souray was a young up-and-comer. Obviously, things worked out for the Devils, but I doubt Lou ever imagined how deadly of a power play weapon Souray would become. Took a few years but Souray had three straight double digit goal seasons and peaked with 19 PPG in 2006-2007. Something the Devils needed for years was a threat on the point. Obviously, he was a mess (still is) defensively, but that would have probably been mitigated in Jersey.

Doubt Lou would have ever traded Souray with what he would become for a few months of Vladimir. Plus, as an added bonus, if he never made that deal, he doesn't sign Malakhov to an awful deal ($7.2 million for 2 years) in 2006 and doesn't have to trade away a 1st to get rid of him.

So if you add that all up, maybe the worst trade in Devils history.

Edited by devilsrule33

Obviously, but they're bad on their face - they're giving up something useful for something useless. We only know about this sort of trade because of the salary cap - we don't know if, say, Verbeek for S. Turgeon was also motivated by financial concerns (and we know that John McMullen was counting pennies at that time)

i recall the verbeek trade was all about money. he was in line for a big contract raise and the devils didn't want to pay it.

Anyone remember the exact circumstances for the Souray deal? Sheldon Souray, a former 2nd round pick, and a future 2nd to the Canadiens for Malakhov.

the biggest circumstance was named Colin White. It was clear he was ready to come up and Souray hadn't yet become the offensive force he turned out to be. Malakhov was still regarded as a pretty good player (amazingly) but yeah, i hated that deal after about round 1 of the playoffs.

i doubt there will be a devil i hate more than vlad malakhov.

I don't really think Sheldon Souray has been a very good player in his career and I don't regret losing him in that trade. He was a 3rd pairing D type compared a lot to Ken Daneyko when he was here, he developed into an offensive weapon but either he or his teams thought he was Scott Niedermayer when it came to rushing the puck. If he could be paired with a Paul Martin type it would've been a good match.

I liked Malakhov a lot and would do that deal again in a second.