269 replies to this topic

#161 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

That's what I was thinking. IIRC, both players are automatically suspended for their team's next game, no?

I could be totally wrong but I thought that's what was established.

I think it only applies if someone gets an instigator penalty

#162 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,383 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I thought Matteau was fine.

Tedenby on the other hand looks lost and scared.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#163 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

Nice win. Devils played horribly in the first but bounced back in the final 2 periods. Some luck on the Clarkson goal and the penalty shot didn't seem entirely deserved but wow has Kovalchuk become money on those plays.

Love Josefson getting 17 minutes. Tedenby got stapled to the bench after his terrible point coverage + penalty - that seemed inevitable. It was fun when he wasn't in the doghouse though. Matteau - 3 shots again, makes some nice reads in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone he needs work. It's going to be a tough decision but I think he will be sent back. Still, unless he regresses, won't be that hard to pencil him in on next year's team.

Teddy did have two good defensive plays in the first period. I thought he was fine then.

Granted I didn't watch much after Devils went up 3-0.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#164 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I'm smelling a fight tonight. Maybe....Clarky vs. Simmonds?

boom

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#165 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

What a game.

After a sluggish and lucky first, we played solid for the other 40 minutes. Marty stood on his head during the first and really gave the guys confidence. I know it's only been two games, but he really seems to be on his game. It's refreshing considering he usually starts seasons off poorly.

On a personal note, I got Henrique to sign the puck they gave away. Me and my buddy were waking out and we just saw him in his SUV signing autographs. What a night!

I'll pay for this later. I'm on my way back to Rhode Island for an 8 am class and won't be home till 2. Well worth it though

#166 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,996 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

Another reason why Janssen is not needed in the lineup. The Flyers are not playing a single goon, and the Devils have plenty of players that can stand up for themselves like Clarkson, Carter, Bernier, and Salvador. Using Carter-Bernier-Gionta as a third line is not a great option right now or ever.

Edited by devilsrule33, 23 January 2013 - 12:35 AM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#167 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

AWESOME WIN TONIGHT! wasn't our best game but a win is a win!
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#168 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Go Devils.. But **** some people in Newark.. Got this nice present when I rushed back to my car to get to my hockey game.. Luckily, people in Newark don't know what hockey equipment is (the skates were in the trunk but my $200 sticks were in the body and did not get stolen)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#169 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

Go Devils.. But **** some people in Newark.. Got this nice present when I rushed back to my car to get to my hockey game.. Luckily, people in Newark don't know what hockey equipment is (the skates were in the trunk but my $200 sticks were in the body and did not get stolen)

Posted Image

WTFF!! where did you park and what did they take?

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

#170 Bullshockey247

Bullshockey247

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

@RealKyper: @RealKyper: #NHL news. 1st Shanahan supplemental discip' hearing of yr. Wed afternoon. #Flyers Brayden Schenn possibly leaving feet vs #Devils 2nd per

Pretty sure it's from the hit on Volchenkov, I noticed it but no one reacted or mentioned it so I figured I was wrong. My guess is a one game suspension since there was no injury, but who knows with Shanaban.
Sources also confirm that there is no one left in Canada who can remember when hockey was a simple game, played for fun.

#171 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:35 AM

What a game.

After a sluggish and lucky first, we played solid for the other 40 minutes. Marty stood on his head during the first and really gave the guys confidence. I know it's only been two games, but he really seems to be on his game. It's refreshing considering he usually starts seasons off poorly.

On a personal note, I got Henrique to sign the puck they gave away. Me and my buddy were waking out and we just saw him in his SUV signing autographs. What a night!

I'll pay for this later. I'm on my way back to Rhode Island for an 8 am class and won't be home till 2. Well worth it though

Cool stuff re henrique! Was he generous about it or bothered?

#172 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Cool stuff re henrique! Was he generous about it or bothered?

Very generous. He must've exchanged pleasantries with dozens of people, but he didn't seem bothered at all

#173 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:50 AM

WTFF!! where did you park and what did they take?

Near Branford Place and Treat Place.. Been parking there for years with no issues

Thankfully, nothing was taken. Guy just broke the window and quickly searched the glove compartment and center console.. Like I said, he passed up on two $200 hockey sticks
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#174 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Why do people keep saying "a win is a win" as if we didn't deserve it? A strong first period, strong goaltending in the second period, and watching Philly switch from goal scoring mode to goon it up mode in the 3rd. We missed quite a few high quality chances in the third, it's not like we got 3 lucky bounces and they hit 5 posts.

Also, how the actual fvck can you say Matteau isn't ready? He's a lot more valuable on the ice than any other guy we don't have dressing and a few guys that we do. I like him a lot.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#175 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414246

"I didn't hit him too hard," Simmonds said. "I just gave him a little push that I kind of thought he over exaggerated, and it worked. He is one of the best goalies who ever played. He can do whatever he wants in this league."

Sounds like someone needs a hug!
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#176 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

Marty did sell that one, but Simmonds was stupid enough to give a needless after-the-whistle push in the first place. He deserved a penalty just for stupidity.

#177 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

For whatever it's worth, kind of nice to see Kovalchuk have a +3 rating after two games.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#178 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

Holy crap! That sucks, man! Glad your valuables weren't taken, but damn. If nothing else, this is a rough time of year to be stuck driving without a window.

@RealKyper: @RealKyper: #NHL news. 1st Shanahan supplemental discip' hearing of yr. Wed afternoon. #Flyers Brayden Schenn possibly leaving feet vs #Devils 2nd per

Pretty sure it's from the hit on Volchenkov, I noticed it but no one reacted or mentioned it so I figured I was wrong. My guess is a one game suspension since there was no injury, but who knows with Shanaban.

I remember thinking he left his feet for that hit, but something else happened immediately afterwards that distracted everyone from it. Can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe Simmonds' stupid shot at Marty?

Marty did sell that one, but Simmonds was stupid enough to give a needless after-the-whistle push in the first place. He deserved a penalty just for stupidity.

Simmonds is dumb as a brick, and he's a perfect example of what's wrong with the Flyers. Philly played a great first period, they just got it raw on the scoreboard. If they stuck to their gameplan, they could've pulled off an emotional comeback win. But no. They're the Flyers, so they do what Flyers do: Goon it up. It was entertaining for us, but I'm not sure their fans are entertained by the 0-3 start.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 23 January 2013 - 07:57 AM.

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#179 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Man, sorry to see that Colin. I had that happen twice to me when I was going to Montclair State College...same window, in fact. I knew several students who had their cars either broken into or flat-out stolen. Always made us wonder what the campus police were doing...I never saw a more useless batch of overweight zilches in my life.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#180 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,475 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Philly played a great first period, they just got it raw on the scoreboard. If they stuck to their gameplan, they could've pulled off an emotional comeback win. But no. They're the Flyers, so they do what Flyers do: Goon it up. It was entertaining for us, but I'm not sure their fans are entertained by the 0-3 start.

I think there was a combination of things last night. Philly's quick start was probably helped by their timing being really good and the Devils timing being a little rusty. Then as the game wears on, the Devils timing starts to get a little better and the Flyers legs start to wear out because of the 3 games in 4 nights.

The unlucky first period for the Flyers probably doomed them as they likely needed to win that period to win the game.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users