GDT: Isles @ Devils 7:30PM - Marty's Last Game?

ThreeCups

As it should be. This is gonna be his last game. This is the fans' last chance to say 'good-bye and thank you' to Marty until jersey retirement night. I'd actually be pissed if Cory played this one, as it means nothing in terms of playoffs.

Honestly I think they would have considered getting Marty out of there on a win if we had won tonight, but of course the fvckers from Bridgeport beat us in another skills competition.

Honestly I think they would have considered getting Marty out of there on a win if we had won tonight, but of course the fvckers from Bridgeport beat us in another skills competition.

ha. well at least the guys who beat him in the shootout were legit NHLers (I consider Strome one at this point)

I don't think so Has- this last one has been earmarked for Marty since we were officially eliminated (and possibly longer than that) knowing it will likely be his last game in a Devils uniform. Even if he won tonight, I think he'd be playing Sunday.

Brodeur didn't do himself any favors by shooting the puck at Bailey to only get burned by the same move by the next shooter, Isles bench had many smiles after that one. This season cannot end soon enough because when I thought I have seen it all something new rears its ugly head in every game.

I don't think so Has- this last one has been earmarked for Marty since we were officially eliminated (and possibly longer than that) knowing it will likely be his last game in a Devils uniform. Even if he won tonight, I think he'd be playing Sunday.

Then why didn't Pete publicly commit to it right off?  They only said he was playing tonight's game before tonight and wouldn't commit to a Sunday starter till after tonight's game.  As if getting cloak and dagger with the goaltending over two glorified preseason games really matters.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Then why didn't Pete publicly commit to it right off? They only said he was playing tonight's game before tonight and wouldn't commit to a Sunday starter till after tonight's game. As if getting cloak and dagger with the goaltending over two glorified preseason games really matters.

I have no idea... Doesn't make much sense to not just state the obvious. But I'm sure they'll announce it soon enough.

Then why didn't Pete publicly commit to it right off?  They only said he was playing tonight's game before tonight and wouldn't commit to a Sunday starter till after tonight's game.  As if getting cloak and dagger with the goaltending over two glorified preseason games really matters.

I think he is being respectful to both Cory and Marty and the situation. He would never normally announce Brodeur starts two straight games. So no point now, even if it is pretty obvious to everyone involved why it be the case. Like I said earlier, Cory deserved one of the last two games based on play. But that hasn't been how it worked all season, and it won't end that way either. That's fine, but it's the better way of going about it rather than saying we're gonna give Marty the last two starts because there's a good chance he never plays again.

Speaking of the goalies and Deboer, I had to laugh one more time during the post game press conference as Deboer talked about having a goalie situation that every team would want, and how both goalies deserved more games than they got.

I think he is being respectful to both Cory and Marty and the situation. He would never normally announce Brodeur starts two straight games. So no point now, even if it is pretty obvious to everyone involved why it be the case. Like I said earlier, Cory deserved one of the last two games based on play. But that hasn't been how it worked all season, and it won't end that way either. That's fine, but it's the better way of going about it rather than saying we're gonna give Marty the last two starts because there's a good chance he never plays again.

Speaking of the goalies and Deboer, I had to laugh one more time during the post game press conference as Deboer talked about having a goalie situation that every team would want, and how both goalies deserved more games than they got.

I don't think PDB believes that...I think even if Marty doesn't necessarily want to take the high road, PDB and others will.  Better than back-and-forth squabbling through the media.

It constantly amazes me that so many on this forum harp on our "goalie problems" but ignore our pitiful offense. Being 26 out of 30 in goals per game, it's almost definite you are going nowhere. It's actually more amazing we were as close as we were.

Would a full season of Cory at 2.00 GAA have helped? Of course. But you can't say he would have been as good over a whole season.

That being said, next season we have to find out the answer to that question. But we need first line players. Zajac is not a first line player on any other team. Jagr at 42 isn't. Elias at 37 isn't. Zubrus isn't.

It's pretty obvious that we need offense badly. One more 20 goal scorer instead of a Josefson, for example, would have done wonders.