Iginla officially traded to Pittsburgh

SterioDesign

I dont know how any sane person can think we match up well against Pitt come playoff time.

It's more of the type of team Pittsburgh would rather play than who NJ would rather play.     Pittsburgh is 4-5 vs. NJ the last 2 seasons.   Not a matchup they'd be truly looking forward to.

I dont know how any sane person can think we match up well against Pitt come playoff time.

They don't, but the Devils have tons of depth and I don't think Morrow, Iginla, and Murray are all that good.  And being an underdog to someone would be a nice feeling after 10+ years on this board where it's always temper tantrums when the Devils lose.

They don't, but the Devils have tons of depth and I don't think Morrow, Iginla, and Murray are all that good.  And being an underdog to someone would be a nice feeling after 10+ years on this board where it's always temper tantrums when the Devils lose.

we were underdogs last year in the 2-4th rounds (well most people thought we were against the Rangers) and we won so it wouldn't surprise me if people stil through tantrums if we didn't come through this year 

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

Neal - Malkin - Iginla

Morrow - Sutter - Kennedy

Bennett - Glass - Cooke

I don't know how any sane person can think anyone matches up well to that.

That 1st line is top notch. That 2nd line is better than 90% of 1st lines and arguably better than all of them. Third line makes an argument for among the best 3rd lines in hockey, too.

Morrow's shot, Kennedy isn't that good, Glass is hot garbage, Bennett's never played checking minutes before, Cooke isn't anything special, Iginla isn't what he once was. They're not that different than they were. Probably a little better maybe just because of depth I guess but they're not the 02 Red Wings now. we knew they had the best 2 centers in hte league and did last year too. They've still got hot garbage in net too 

I agree. I would enjoy seeing the Devils as an extreme underdog actually as I dont have very high expectations for this team as constituted.

But there is also the risk of this team getting demolished as well which probably raises more questions than answers going forward.

It is getting ugly in Calgary.  Charelli in Boston claims they had a verbal agreement at Noon yesterday and all Calgary had to do was confirm with Iginla.   Apparently, Jarome nixed the Bruins deal and Fletcher never told Charelli.   Boston had a much better offer on the table now Flames fans want Fletcher fired.

I think what Iginla did to the Flames was kind of messed up

1) Announces a list of a few teams he is willing to go which included Boston

2) Calgary has a deal with Boston they admit they liked more

3) He says he'd rather go to Pittsburgh, forcing Feaster to take an inferior deal

I kind of feel bad for Feaster because his hand was clearly forced and he was never going to win a trade that dealt Iginla. Why create a 'competition' if you aren't going to take the best deal or even close to it. I guess Iginla was trying to do Calgary a favor, but in the end, he just jerked everyone around for a few days. 

This trade really seems like an afterthought. I think Iginla wanted to go to the Pens all along and handcuffed Feaster. It was either get something back or nothing and watch me walk. I don't think Shero was all in this. More like the offer was made and Shero gave something and Feaster had to take it. Pitt wasn't exactly in need of a guy like Iginla.

This trade really seems like an afterthought. I think Iginla wanted to go to the Pens all along and handcuffed Feaster. It was either get something back or nothing and watch me walk. I don't think Shero was all in this. More like the offer was made and Shero gave something and Feaster had to take it. Pitt wasn't exactly in need of a guy like Iginla.

It sounds like he just wanted to go to Pitt more than Boston but would've gone there if Pitt's offer wasn't acceptable to CGY. If Pitt didn't put anything like the 1st rounder in, why would Calgary have done it? Pittsburgh could've theoretically offered Tanner Glass and Deryk Engelland if Cgy had to take whatever they were gonna offer 

Edited by DH26

I feel some hypocrisy here a little... Dumping murray, morrow and iginla on an already awesome team is HUGE. Now some people are downplaying it trying to say its no big deal and that they are not that good.

I mean... Seriously.. Come on... If Lou would have pull that off those deals there would be a lineup to his office to give him flowers and people would build a gold statue of him.

Youre telling me adding iginla and morrow (2 nhl captains who were on the gold canada team 2 years ago) to a team on a 12 games winning streak without 2 of their best players and best players in the world is no big deal and that they are not that good? And turn around and say that for us getting zubrus and ponikarovsky back should put us to the top with a crazy deep team?

Come on. Seriously.

That being said i wouldnt say that the pens will win the cup 100% sure, paper doesnt win cup. But those moves were far from nothing.

I feel some hypocrisy here a little... Dumping murray, morrow and iginla on an already awesome team is HUGE. Now some people are downplaying it trying to say its no big deal and that they are not that good.

I mean... Seriously.. Come on... If Lou would have pull that off those deals there would be a lineup to his office to give him flowers and people would build a gold statue of him.

Youre telling me adding iginla and morrow (2 nhl captains who were on the gold canada team 2 years ago) to a team on a 12 games winning streak without 2 of their best players and best players in the world is no big deal and that they are not that good? And turn around and say that for us getting zubrus and ponikarovsky back should put us to the top with a crazy deep team?

Come on. Seriously.

That being said i wouldnt say that the pens will win the cup 100% sure, paper doesnt win cup. But those moves were far from nothing.

Agreed. No one in the east is going to stop the Pens from reaching the SCF. If the Blackhawks aren't the team they face in the Finals the cup is as good as theirs this season.

• Like 1

Agreed. No one in the east is going to stop the Pens from reaching the SCF. If the Blackhawks aren't the team they face in the Finals the cup is as good as theirs this season.

Guess there's no point in watching, then. Does it make them deeper? Yes. But every time a team makes some moves, the hockey media (and this board) hand them the cup. So far this season, the Rangers, Wild, Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh have all had their names engraved. They are a favorite, but they will have to earn it. They collapsed last season and an 8 seed played a 6 seed for the cup.

They obviously are huge favorites but so what? As a Devils fan most and foremost I'm focused on wanting Devils to make playoffs, then beating whoever they meet in Round 1 if it happens to be Pitts it's a tough opponent but so is Boston, Montreal or anyone else

Guess there's no point in watching, then. Does it make them deeper? Yes. But every time a team makes some moves, the hockey media (and this board) hand them the cup. So far this season, the Rangers, Wild, Blackhawks, and Pittsburgh have all had their names engraved. They are a favorite, but they will have to earn it. They collapsed last season and an 8 seed played a 6 seed for the cup.

I get what you're saying. Even with Gretzky and Messier the Rags didn't go anywhere. But here we've got a Pittsburgh club that had won like 12 straight without their new acquisitions, no Malkin and no Letang. Malkin is back, Iginla will start next game probably. Morrow and Murray have already been assimilated. Pittsburgh has proven they can beat MTL and BOS without the newly added talent. PHI is pretty much done so they won't be in   playoffs to beat on Pittsburgh. It would take an historical collapse for the Pens to not make it to the SCF. Odds are they will make it to the SCF.

Come on. Seriously.

Not saying the pens are bad, cause I really think this is their conference to take now, but they aren't unbeatable. I think the devils match up well systematically against the pens. Idk how much you have watched of the pens/sharks/stars/or flames but really the only move that I think makes the pens better significantly is the iginla trade. If the devils got morrow or Murray I would not be happy. They are just not good players. Iginla on the other hand I would be happy getting. But if you've watched the pens over the course of this season and last season it's apparent that they need an upgrade on D and not offense, and they didnt get that.

So to recap, yes the pens are better now than a week ago but adding morrow and Murray are weak additions, and adding iginla was unnecessary. I think the pens are the best in the conference right now, but they are definitely not a lock by any means to win it all or to even get out of the east.

I get what you're saying. Even with Gretzky and Messier the Rags didn't go anywhere. But here we've got a Pittsburgh club that had won like 12 straight without their new acquisitions, no Malkin and no Letang. Malkin is back, Iginla will start next game probably. Morrow and Murray have already been assimilated. Pittsburgh has proven they can beat MTL and BOS without the newly added talent. PHI is pretty much done so they won't be in playoffs to beat on Pittsburgh. It would take an historical collapse for the Pens to not make it to the SCF. Odds are they will make it to the SCF.

The pens have gone on massive streaks like this the last 3 seasons and always peak too early. Not saying they will collapse again this time, but it's definitely a possibility. Also the flyers aren't the only team that can beat the penguins. The leafs own them and the devils play them very well. I have friends that are pens fans that are worried about hitting either team in the playoffs.

I wouldnt necessarely pin them as SCF but the moves they made are not move who could screw chemistry or anything, they got 2 incredible guy and leaders who would fit like a glove on ANY teams in the league. Its not like getting... Some kind of one dimensional big time scorer who may not fit in a system or fit well with the guys.

Iginla and morrow are dripping intangibles and will help that team, anyone saying the opposite is either jealous or in denial.

Especially after saying that... Adding zubrus, ponikarovsky to an average team will put them to the top and that loktionov and poni were great great deals for what Lou gave up and then say that the pens giving almost nothing to add 3 players that WILL help a team that was already on top is not that great of a deal. Lol seriously if anyone is thinking that he has to stopkidding himself there. It sucks to give credits to rival teams but gotta face the facts here.

But again they could collapse and a key injury or fleury and vokoun sh!tting the bed could kill them again

Edited by SterioDesign

I wouldnt necessarely pin them as SCF but the moves they made are not move who could screw chemistry or anything, they got 2 incredible guy and leaders who would fit like a glove on ANY teams in the league. Its not like getting... Some kind of one dimensional big time scorer who may not fit in a system or fit well with the guys.

Iginla and morrow are dripping intangibles and will help that team, anyone saying the opposite is either jealous or in denial.

Especially after saying that... Adding zubrus, ponikarovsky to an average team will put them to the top and that loktionov and poni were great great deals for what Lou gave up and then say that the pens giving almost nothing to add 3 players that WILL help a team that was already on top is not that great of a deal. Lol seriously if anyone is thinking that he has to stopkidding himself there. It sucks to give credits to rival teams but gotta face the facts here.

But again they could collapse and a key injury or fleury and vokoun sh!tting the bed could kill them again

Morrow will bring leadership but that's it really. He's not bill Guerin, where he can still play. He's basically ganna be a 4th liner at this point. Iginla is the only one out of the 3 that I think will make an on ice impact. And I don't think the devils have a shot at a cup unless they made a move for a good forward for their 1st line but poni and zubrus are identity players to this club. Them missing is really affecting our team.

If I'm breaking down the pens and devils into 4 categories (offense, defense, goaltending, and coaching) it would shake out like this:

Offense-pens have the edge by a wide margin.

Defense-slight edge to the devils. Like devils game by committee and systematically much more than the pens. Match up systematically better against Pittsburgh. Don't like pens 3rd d pairing at all

Goaltending-draw. Broduer hasn't been stellar this year but fluery is not that good of a goaltender and not a great clutch goaltender either.

Coaching-Devils. Look at the devils/pens matchup over the last 3-4 seasons and it shows we get the W's more times then not.

Edited by njd3b1ink

Morrow will bring leadership but that's it really. He's not bill Guerin, where he can still play. He's basically ganna be a 4th liner at this point. Iginla is the only one out of the 3 that I think will make an on ice impact. And I don't think the devils have a shot at a cup unless they made a move for a good forward for their 1st line but poni and zubrus are identity players to this club. Them missing is really affecting our team.

If I'm breaking down the pens and devils into 4 categories (offense, defense, goaltending, and coaching) it would shake out like this:

Offense-pens have the edge by a wide margin.

Defense-slight edge to the devils. Like devils game by committee and systematically much more than the pens. Match up systematically better against Pittsburgh. Don't like pens 3rd d pairing at all

Goaltending-draw. Broduer hasn't been stellar this year but fluery is not that good of a goaltender and not a great clutch goaltender either.

Coaching-Devils. Look at the devils/pens matchup over the last 3-4 seasons and it shows we get the W's more times then not.

If Brenden Morrow is a 4th liner then this team is stacked solid.

If Brenden Morrow is a 4th liner then this team is stacked solid.

Have you watched morrow play lately? He sure as hell isn't breaking the top 2 lines on 90% of the NHL teams. And the pens are really really good on offense. Having amazing offense doesn't mean sh!t if you got only 2 defense lines and sub par goaltending. There's a reason the caps and flyers were never able to score their way to a championship.