I Want Crosby On Nj

Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kovalchuk proposal: hardly blockbuster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell do you call two firsts and a future star goaltender. Altanta didn't even touch it either. Kovalchuk wasn't hyped up all that much going into the draft, he was only slightly ahead of Spezza in the rankings. Crosby is different story and some team will offer something greater then that Montreal package.

A spare goalie and two prospects?  No wonder Atlanta didn't want it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theo was considered a goalie with a lot of potential still. Goalies don't reach their potential till later in their lives and GM's know that. Hainsey was hyped up an incredible amount, some made pronger comparisons, and a first round draft pick from montreal is nothing to scoff at, considering how much the team was struggling at the time.

I think Zero's got it right. I think the perception around the Internet back in 2000 or 2001 was that Theodore was plateauing. This is because he hadn't yet earned the starting job. However, he did impress by beating the Devils in triple-overtime in 1997. I think a lot of people expected him to be starting by that point. I'm not so sure Hackett was a 'stopgap'; I read a lot of posts in 2000 and 2001 on the HF boards that purported Hackett as a top 10 goaltender.

When goalies or defensemen don't progress from the minors or don't progress perceptibly from 20 to 23, most people write off their superstar potential. It is usually a mistake to do so, especially in today's NHL.

Edited by Triumph

I had Theodore in a fantasy hockey league that I won in '00. He had a remarkable finish to that season after Hackett went down. He was definitely on the rise and that might be why the Canadiens thought he had value. They had Garon in their system to fall back on.

BTW - if you go to the sample cards, just try the last card. I was just rhyming them off the first few cards and then I hit that one. Including the junior question, I got 2 on the whole card.

I had Theodore in a fantasy hockey league that I won in '00. He had a remarkable finish to that season after Hackett went down. He was definitely on the rise and that might be why the Canadiens thought he had value. They had Garon in their system to fall back on.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theodore has also played extremely well at the Worlds for Canada in 2000.

FYI - the Admins just changed Zero's title. Kinda late, but as the Lightning, he gets to keep the title for another year. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooo, I'm special. :P

There should be a special "boring lockout edition trivia" with Qs like: Who was the NHLPA president in 94? How many teams claim they lost money in 04? Where was Arthur Levitt born? Where does Gary Bettman buy his ties? Etc.

OK maybe not. ;)

Edited by Zero

So, no trivia until the game comes back? I was kind of wondering where you were going to find new questions. You covered a lot of history.

Not enough traffic to make it worth it. But I have an awesome source of new questions. I got this for Christmas:

http://www.soyouthinkyouknowhockey.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like a great site.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That certinately made up for your Jimmy Waite Free Agent move the year before :lol::lol:

So, no trivia until the game comes back? I was kind of wondering where you were going to find new questions. You covered a lot of history.

Not enough traffic to make it worth it. But I have an awesome source of new questions. I got this for Christmas:

http://www.soyouthinkyouknowhockey.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Went 7 for 7 in current or just lapsed contest. I assume they make the contest questions easy. Are the game questions tougher?

Edited by Rock

I think Zero's got it right.  I think the perception around the Internet back in 2000 or 2001 was that Theodore was plateauing.  This is because he hadn't yet earned the starting job.  However, he did impress by beating the Devils in triple-overtime in 1997.  I think a lot of people expected him to be starting by that point.  I'm not so sure Hackett was a 'stopgap'; I read a lot of posts in 2000 and 2001 on the HF boards that purported Hackett as a top 10 goaltender. 

When goalies or defensemen don't progress from the minors or don't progress perceptibly from 20 to 23, most people write off their superstar potential.  It is usually a mistake to do so, especially in today's NHL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also heard people claiming Markov was a top 10 defensmen in the league after his big year. Not that a statment like that holds any value.

Went 7 for 7 in current or just lapsed contest.  I assume they make the contest questions easy.  Are the game questions tougher?

I think so. Try the 3rd sample card. I barely opened the box (friends/family don't want to challenge me).

Did you see this question on the 2nd sample card?

Name the ultra-exciting, defensive innovation the N.J. Devils employed to win the 1994-95 Stanley Cup.

The Devils counter attack generated from the trap was pretty exciting. However, am I over-reacting to think that's a cheap shot, from a trivia game no less?

Edited by Rock

• 2 weeks later...

This thread began over a year ago with the fantasy of the Devils getting Sidney Crosby. I've decided to take part in this fantasy, which has almost zero chance of coming true.

Let's say the Devils got him. The most intriguing debate concerns the question, "Is he worth it?" Given the Devils' track record in marketing and NJ's general apathy toward hockey and the Devils, I say no, he's not worth it. The only way he'd be worth it is if he could put more butts in the seats and create a buzz around this franchise that has never been seen before.

On the ice, like other posters have said, he'd only be worth it if the Devils could ice a competitive team around him. And with a salary cap coming, can you be a good team if one guy accounts for, say, 25% of a team's salary? I don't know. I kinda doubt it, though.

I hate to say it, but we are too small-time for Sidney Crosby. If there's a team in this league who needs Crosby badly, it's the Rangers (I hate to say that, too!), a team that has almost nothing to offer its fans in the way of hope of a turnaround.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Sidney Crosby on the Devils.......both Crosby and the Devils would benefit. No doubt about it.

he'd be worth it is if he could put more butts in the seats and create a buzz around this franchise that has never been seen before.

The "Next Gretzky" on the Devils would be phenominal buzz.

If you get a new CBA done and put a rookie cap on, why not? And I say Crosby is worth it. He'd draw so many more fans, you'd be shocked.

And don't forget the new arena is around the corner. A perfect way to generate more buzz.

Edited by Derek21