GDT: DEVILS @ Toronto

Steven M.

Clarkson has been my favorite player since 07 its really great to see him really getting it done.and stepping up also being tied for most goals like he was before he broke his leg forever back IDR hope he keeps it up

Not a thorough review, nor an explanation on that kessel goal. Almost comical

When I heard that goal on the radio, I was expecting something just like what happened with Parise against NYI. When I finally saw the play, I can't argue with the short review. There was nothing to look at. I hate to be so passive about it but Kessel's foot didn't move toward the net at all. Zach, although he got shoved in, his foot was moving toward the net. I still think the Devils got robbed, but comparing this one to Zach's is Apples to Oranges in my opinion.

EDIT: Ok, Kessel's foot was moving forward, but because he was stopping or turning. Still a different scenario.

Edited by puckrock

Without the PK, this season would be an equal to worse disaster then 2010.

Eh but you could also go the other way and say without a hideously bad PP (until tonight) that's been a laughable +4 on the season they'd be in first place :P

Until they prove otherwise, they are what they are and have been for the last couple of years, a .500 team that's gonna have its good streaks and bad streaks.

Kovalchuk played a pretty good game... though their line seemed to fall off the map in the 3rd. Still though can't complain with a PPG and no dumb mistakes.

For some reason Kovy's played a lot of his best games as a Devil against the Leafs. At least Clarkson finally got going again too, I was starting to worry he'd fallen back to 'normal'.

Edited by NJDevs4978

When I heard that goal on the radio, I was expecting something just like what happened with Parise against NYI. When I finally saw the play, I can't argue with the short review. There was nothing to look at. I hate to be so passive about it but Kessel's foot didn't move toward the net at all. Zach, although he got shoved in, his foot was moving toward the net. I still think the Devils got robbed, but comparing this one to Zach's is Apples to Oranges in my opinion.

EDIT: Ok, Kessel's foot was moving forward, but because he was stopping or turning. Still a different scenario.

Coming home and seeing the highlights I was like 'Oh, of course they allowed that goal after a quick review, it's Toronto and the Devils after all' :P

There was really no difference between Kessel's foot accidentally turning forward and Zach's foot falling forward. Not that a goal was the wrong call tonight, it just serves to underscore how hideously wrong last Saturday was.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Funny, I thought Kovalchuk had a real bad game. He never got his skating legs going and his line was not good. They did come close to some dynamite chances, though.

I guess with Greene dinged up he's not getting much time, but the ice time distribution on defense doesn't make much sense to me right now.

Edited by Triumph

we won but it was ugly at times...

Funny, I thought Kovalchuk had a real bad game. He never got his skating legs going and his line was not good. They did come close to some dynamite chances, though.

he was terrible :angry:

Edited by Devilsrock01

When Clarkson is tied for team lead with 9 goals, you know this team has too many underachievers.

Understood. However I feel Clarkson deserves some more credit than that haha

it would've been nice to put this one away in regulation with the chances we've had. but we got a W against a good team. lets get something going here boysss :cheers:

Take 'em however you can get them...this team isn't good enough to be picky.

All things considered, this was a brutal stretch...10 road games out of 12. And the Devils played some butt-ugly, beyond painful-to-watch hockey at times during that stretch. They were outscored 35-29 (eliminating phantom shootout goals) in the 12 games. They won just three out of the 12 games in regulation.

Yet...somehow the Devils managed to go 6-6 over that span, and even found a way to win two games where they scored only one goal. That's at least something.

If the Devils are ever going to get out of .500-land, they have a chance to do it...9 home games out of the next 14. It's not against easy competition, but the Devils have clearly proved there's no such thing when it comes to them. And Zajac coming back (whenever that is) can only help.

Glad to see they won! Couldn't watch it since Verizon DSL blows and I rely on GameCenter to watch games. Had to follow as best I could on NHL On The Fly. Got a live look-in for about a minute up until the Elias penalty (how do you cut away at that point?) then got nothing for about 30-45 minutes after the game went final. I don't think I've ever cursed out a highlight show like that before. :lol:

Looks like the PP stepped up and a lot of Leafs fans on TSN are saying Marty stole the game. Wish I coulda seen it, but at least I'm hearing good things!

Kovy was very good on the PP which was a main reason for this OT win. he was also very active in the first period with a few SOG. Then, wham, he was nulified in the nuetral zone and that line had few decent carry-ins. was it fatigue or just loss of concentration? leafs are a fast team

Zub set up clarks goal by bringing it in and hitting the brakesa hard, then looking to pass

we had serious puck luck that first period, particularly against toronto in our end. but hey we deserve some after the last 6 games!

i thought tedy did OK wasnt on getting knocked to the ice as much even against that huge d-man lol

Marty=good

the rags were the hotest team in hockey and we did in toronto what they couldnt on their home ice! good win!

Coming home and seeing the highlights I was like 'Oh, of course they allowed that goal after a quick review, it's Toronto and the Devils after all' :P

There was really no difference between Kessel's foot accidentally turning forward and Zach's foot falling forward. Not that a goal was the wrong call tonight, it just serves to underscore how hideously wrong last Saturday was.

Yeah, considering some apparent double-standard here. If Zach's goal off his foot turning on the heel was a "kicking motion" then by pretty much the same definition you gotta say Kessel skating by and having it bounce off his skate was kicking too. In either case there was no pulling the leg back and kicking forward toward the goal like a soccer ball, so the league's definition of "distinct kicking motion" is flawed and needs quite a bit of clarification.

The odd thing that would have helped both cases and been totally legal, is if after bouncing off the skate, it hit a defender's stick. For some reason that nullifies any problem even if it is kicked in soccer style apparently...

Is it me, or is Larsson very slow? I feel like he should be a big slapshot/big checking defenseman based on how slow he churns his legs.

I think tedy had some harder checks last night!

but its not purely leg quickness that determines skating speed; its energy transfer. look at A-train his legs are churning but he aint going anywhere LOL!

Hmeh... I woudn't have called Parise's goal back -

BUT I think he did think "oooh snap! my foot is puttin' this one in" and laughing about it internally AS IT WAS HAPPENING.

I dont think he did it on purpose so much though.

It's bullsh!t to call back the goal because from the replay it appeared as if he might have been able to stop the forward motion of his foot.

THAT is the unspoken of the re-call of that goal. Yeah -- well he COULD have stopped his foot even if he didn't really kick it in. That's not the rule and that IS what the call was made upon.

Kessel didn't actually seem as aware of what was going on while it was happening. That was the main difference

I wrote something totally new about that goal and not one of you will acknowledge my post I bet. :rolleyes: