Brodeur Appreciation Thread

redruM

He did so much here that I can't get that upset about what will amount to a cup of coffee with someone else.  I got to see his entire prime from beginning to end...I'll never get that cheated or unfinished business feeling with him.

It's interesting...seems destined that the top two guys "most wins for one team" (even if they eventually play with more than one) will be Marty (688) and eventually Lundqvist (309 and counting).  Tony Esposito, currently second on the one-team list, won 418 games with the Blackhawks (423 total).   

Wow, I've never realized that no other goalie has reached 500 wins for one team. Lundqvist sucks by the way.

Wow, I've never realized that no other goalie has reached 500 wins for one team. Lundqvist sucks by the way.

Roy's split is pretty amazing...289 wins with Montreal, 262 with Colorado (most guys would be happy to have either his Montreal or his Colorado career).  Even more amazing is that his career save% was .910 (mostly due to playing in distinctly different eras), and he exceeded that career figure in each of his final seven seasons in the NHL (.918 overall, including .925 and .920 in his final two seasons). 

Marty's 688 seems like it's going to be untouchable...especially with one team.  38 wins per season for 18 seasons leaves you short by four.  Just amazing. 

Marty's 688 seems like it's going to be untouchable...especially with one team.  38 wins per season for 18 seasons leaves you short by four.  Just amazing. 

Not by any of the established goalies that are currently playing, but the odds say that someone will break it, if only by virtue of the elimination of the tie.  You need a young goalie that starts out with a very good team.  it'll be a longtime coming, but I think it happens eventually.

Not by any of the established goalies that are currently playing, but the odds say that someone will break it, if only by virtue of the elimination of the tie.  You need a young goalie that starts out with a very good team.  it'll be a longtime coming, but I think it happens eventually.

It's just so hard though.  Think about it:

Such a goalie needs to start his NHL career around 22, 23 at the latest (sadly, this doomed Hasek). 

He needs to play 18 years without ever really having a down year.

He needs to almost never get hurt and somehow start 65-75 games per year.  Marty started a total of 977 regular season games (not including his relief appearances) from '95-'96 to '09-'10 (14 seasons of averaging 70 starts per season, and that includes the '08-'09 season where he only played 30 games, and as we know, it would've been 15 seasons if not for the '04-'05 lockout).  Guess how many start goalies have started that many games for their entire careers?  Just one...Roy, with 1003.  That's the big thing, really...Marty was just so freakishly durable for so damned long.  It's going to be so hard for someone else to play in as many games, let alone win as many of them and have such a long peak to boot.   

And his team had better not suck more than a year or two, tops.  Ask Chico what that does to a goalie's numbers.  

Just to add...always cracks me up when idiot Rangers fans (redundant, I know) talk about Lundqvist one day "shattering Marty's records" (including the win record).

He's now 32 years old and has 309 wins.

If he averages 65 starts per year until he's 40 (8 seasons), that's 520 GP.  To best Marty's 688 wins, he'd have to not only average 47.5 wins per season in those 8 years, but he'd have to put up a win in 73% of those 520 games to do it.  That's 380 wins in eight seasons...of course, in the entire history of the NHL, just 12 goalies have topped that number for their entire careers, and of those who around 380, not one of them came close to doing it in 520 games. 

MAF is probably the only guy with any kind of a shot at it at all...he's only 29, has 288 wins under his belt already, and is currently playing behind a team that almost guarantees that he'll win 30+ withotu breaking a sweat for a while (if he's re-signed).  If he averages 40 wins per season over the next 10, that gives him 689.  I'm not saying it will ever happen (probably has about 5% chance to do it, if that), but with shootout wins (he's been a terrific shootout performer) and the team he's playing for, he does have a shot to challenge Roy for second on the all-time list by the time his career's over...but that's a long way off.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

That is amazing when you put it that way.

The only reason I think someone might catch it is if the shootout sticks around. That's an extra few wins per season that used to be ties. It's crazy to think how much time brodeur has lost because of lockouts/strikes as well.

Marty also played during the dead puck era. No shots on goal due to clutching and grabbing which helped his numbers.

Except that he had some of his best regular seasons AFTER the lockout (when supposedly, according to Ranger hockey fans, he'd be "exposed"), when he faced more shots (roughly 400 more per season) and no longer had the Fab Four D in front of him.  Kind of kills that argument.   

Except that he had some of his best regular seasons AFTER the lockout (when supposedly, according to Ranger hockey fans, he'd be "exposed"), when he faced more shots (roughly 400 more per season) and no longer had the Fab Four D in front of him. Kind of kills that argument.

Everyone always seems to conveniently forget this when they bring up the dead puck era helping Marty

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Marty also played during the dead puck era. No shots on goal due to clutching and grabbing which helped his numbers.

This isn't true.

Shots on goal per game were slightly lower during that time but not much  (see here:  http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_ShotsPerGame.php).  Most of the reason why the 'dead puck' era happened is that goalies got way better.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 3

Am I the only one who cringes every time I see the "Broduer" Appreciation Thread?

Nope, drives me nuts that he's played in almost every Devils game for the past two decades, winning Cups and breaking records, yet there are still Devils fans that don't know how to spell his name.

Nope, drives me nuts that he's played in almost every Devils game for the past two decades, winning Cups and breaking records, yet there are still Devils fans that don't know how to spell his name.

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." ~ President Andrew Jackson