Prudential Center tour might get Mikhail Prokhorov thinking Nets belon

DaneykoIsGod

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/06/politi_prudential_center_tour.html

Atlantic Yards is too far along, with the funding almost in place and the legal problems mostly erased, for Newark to hold out much hope beyond that. Even Mayor Cory Booker, the ultimate Newark optimist, admits the city’s best bet for a long-term basketball franchise is to sell out the building and showcase the potential to another struggling team.

Still, to borrow a quote from Gov. Chris Christie, “I haven’t seen any steel go in the ground yet.” It is unlikely that Brooklyn falls through. But it sure doesn’t hurt for Newark to make a good impression.

This was the first chance, and it was a success.

Why do they have to play with my emotions!!! I REALLY want this team to stay in NJ. I loved this team, and I was devastated when Brooklyn got approved. But now I had finally accepted it, and all of sudden there are all these reports of "NJ could get new team" and "Proky keeping team in NJ?". I would die with joy if either scenario happened...

But, unfortunately, I know it won't... :(

Edited by nyrsuck26

Even Politi, for all his optimism in the story, has tempered his enthusiasm. It looks like Brooklyn is a definite. But the story is still interesting for a few reasons:

- Prokhorov definitely seemed impressed, particularly with the proximity mass transit, NYC and mass transit to NYC.

- It seems like the people behind the Prokhorov/Nets deal went out of their way to make sure he didn't see The Rock until after Brooklyn became as sure of a thing as it is.

- It all comes together to make me feel like odds are getting better that Newark could be home to an NBA team.

Even Politi, for all his optimism in the story, has tempered his enthusiasm. It looks like Brooklyn is a definite. But the story is still interesting for a few reasons:

- Prokhorov definitely seemed impressed, particularly with the proximity mass transit, NYC and mass transit to NYC.

- It seems like the people behind the Prokhorov/Nets deal went out of their way to make sure he didn't see The Rock until after Brooklyn became as sure of a thing as it is.

- It all comes together to make me feel like odds are getting better that Newark could be home to an NBA team.

This. Apparently so far over 1500 new season tickets have been sold, and the draft/ free agency hasn't even happened yet. Those tickets are because of The Rock. We will get a new team once the Nets leave if the attendance stays good.

This. Apparently so far over 1500 new season tickets have been sold, and the draft/ free agency hasn't even happened yet. Those tickets are because of The Rock. We will get a new team once the Nets leave if the attendance stays good.

Rock I am right with you on this. Mr. Stern is about growing the brand and if he thinks he can have three NBA teams draw an adience in one of the largest media markets thats more for him. I just want Newark on a posivtive note in the national spotlight.

wow, nice postive thinker...who knows maybe he did a partial and just swung by my house and bought some drugs. :whistling:

Quite possible, but he should get the whole experience. I would like to think the area is nice and it is indeed getting better, it's just not there yet.

That Brooklyn area is not that much better

I think that Brooklyn area is much worse. So congested, nothing attractive about the surrounding area, the Subway stop is a confusing maze. Newark is much better.

I think that Brooklyn area is much worse. So congested, nothing attractive about the surrounding area, the Subway stop is a confusing maze. Newark is much better.

Doesn't really matter, the Rat man wanted it for the public subsidy and land and that's what he got. In essense, Mr. Rat parlayed his purchase of the nets into 750 Million dollars worth of tax exempt bonds.

I just realized why so many people don't like you. You're really Barry Melrose in disguise.

So you are saying that the area around the arena is very safe? While I have to admit it has come along quite a long way, it still needs a lot of work. Barry was just being truthful and if it wasn't for the army of police around the arena on game days, less people would be going. That is why people do not like me either, I am truthful and do not spin or regurgitate releases from the Devils PR department.

• 2 weeks later...

ESPN's Front page poll today:

Which city would you most like to live and play in if you were an NBA free-agent?

1.Chicago

2.New York

3.Newark, NJ

4.Miami

5.Cleveland

I mean, cmon, thats not fair. I hate ESPN. I actually only went on that site just to get to their NHL section. that was a mistake.

ESPN's Front page poll today:

Which city would you most like to live and play in if you were an NBA free-agent?

1.Chicago

2.New York

3.Newark, NJ

4.Miami

5.Cleveland

I mean, cmon, thats not fair. I hate ESPN. I actually only went on that site just to get to their NHL section. that was a mistake.

Wow, glad to see we have that many crazy Newarker's voting there.