Doc to announce Penguins games?

MadDog2020

I'm not sure what I'd do if Steve became the regular play by play.

Hell, I might watch the away feeds

I personally can deal with Steve, obviously i would prefer Doc, but I dont think that he is that bad. Looks like I am the only one tho. :noclue:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that would blow...

BTW, it would be great if they could somehow steal Gary Thorne from ESPN. He's great, too bad he doesn't call hockey anymore (well, at least it means ESPN doesn't broadcast NHL anymore, and that can only be good :giggle:).

Wow, that would blow...

BTW, it would be great if they could somehow steal Gary Thorne from ESPN. He's great, too bad he doesn't call hockey anymore (well, at least it means ESPN doesn't broadcast NHL anymore, and that can only be good :giggle:).

...Okay, I'd be okay with that.

Actually, ideally, Doc sticks with the Devils, Thorne splits the national games with Doc.

Done and done!

STEAL???

I'd rather live with Cangelosi and Laughlin and hear their awful voices all day then have that no talent parrot calling our games (again) thank you much!!!

He had one of my all-time favorite calls when Brad May scored in overtime in 93 or 94 ("MAY DAY!!! MAY DAY!!! BRAD MAY!!!") but man, nowadays he treats any goal like it just won the Stanley Cup.

I also used to love "La-la-la-la-la-fontaine!"

I'd love to get Rick Jeanerette for our games, problem is he's more Sabres blue & gold through and through than Lindy Ruff.

Could you imagine: "Put another Clarkson Bar into the picnic basket!"

I will never, EVER understand all the love for Gary Thorne. The only thing he's got going for him is that he has a classic set of pipes. Apart from that, he makes Cangelosi look like a genius.

I really enjoy the way he calls a game though. It feels natural, yes sometimes he doesn't say the brightest things, but he at least doesn't A) talk through his nose all games, B) Sound like he's DJ-ing for Radio Disney.

Like someone else posted, I'll watch the opposing team feeds of games before I listen to a Cangi-full season.

I didn't realize Doc's contract is up. If this is true, he's suddenly our #1 free agency worry as far as I'm concerned. :saddevil:

I agree 100%

Parise just has to wait until this Doc situation is taken care of. (I couldn't' think of the word resolved in the heat of the moment)

Edited by Pepperkorn

"NO GOAL NO GOAL THE LIGHT NEVER CAME ON "

Ugh... Worst fvck-up of a call of a huge goal ever. In fact, Bob Cole (who is for some reason STILL doing games for CBC- meanwhile, he was senile 8 years ago if not longer) mistook Marshall for Gomez and called Gomez making the pass to Friesen. The only 2 calls that were spot on were John Hennessey's and Doc's (for NHL Radio or maybe the international broadcast I think). Not surprising.

Thorn can not because he has commitments to the Baltimore Orioles. He is stuck in a contract with MASN in baltimore. They would never let him go. He would only leave to call baseball for the dodgers when vin scully dies

Thorn can not because he has commitments to the Baltimore Orioles. He is stuck in a contract with MASN in baltimore. They would never let him go. He would only leave to call baseball for the dodgers when vin scully dies

That would only be a problem at the end of the season.

Question for the old-timers: Wasn't Thorne the Devils' TV PBP guy before Doc?

Thorne was the play-by-play voice of the Devils from 87-88 through I believe the 1992 playoffs. Thorne worked the Devils games as a winter broadcasting gig since he had been working for a few years as Bob Murphy's sidekick on WFAN's Mets baseball broadcasts. Problems arose in April since the Devils started making the playoffs and extended their season into baseball season (not forseen by Thorne or the Mets since the franchise was dog meat prior to then). The Islanders Jiggs McDonald filled-in during the 1988 playoff run. Doc had been calling Flyers games with Bill Clement for years and was fired for not being enough of a shill for some bad Flyers teams so the Devils picked him up for the 1992 playoffs and the relationship has continued from there.

Hmmm... so Doc doesnt do insincere well.... if likes teh Devils as much as he seems to, it might be difficult for him to move. though I did notice a slight cooling this year -- he seemed pretty tired - not off his game at all but just more distant than in the past.

I can't see him leaving Chico - he makes chico. If Chico is retiring maybe...but those two bring out the best in each other. Chico gets Doc to show how much he's enjoying a game. In Doc's side jobs he's almost too reserved. When Chico starts turning into Anti-homer Chico, Doc HAS to show some team love!!

To me their most important shared quality is that neither of them enjoys conflict -- that is such a huge deal because neither will shout the other down - they just let their adorableness through as a broadcast team. and it's all the more fun when they call each other out! :lol: and that adorableness keeps hockey in perspective. When you have a jackass frothing at the mouth it starts to make the whole experience unfun <_<

most of all Doc would never take a decision like this lightly so... I'd just be unabashedly miserable if he went to the Penguins.

Edited by Pepperkorn

though I'd hate it, I would respect and miss him fondly..

Doc has earned vast amounts of credit for this fanbase and organization... a quick poll would show the hanging of a Doc banner @ the rock an overwhelming desire ...

..perhaps something the Generals could get behind ..

Ugh... Worst fvck-up of a call of a huge goal ever. In fact, Bob Cole (who is for some reason STILL doing games for CBC- meanwhile, he was senile 8 years ago if not longer) mistook Marshall for Gomez and called Gomez making the pass to Friesen. The only 2 calls that were spot on were John Hennessey's and Doc's (for NHL Radio or maybe the international broadcast I think). Not surprising.

I've always wanted to hear Doc's call of the Game 7 in Ottawa again, the only time I've ever heard of it was during the FSN pregame show of the season opener in 2004, I remembered being stunned that Doc did call the game somewhere when they played the clip.

This would be another huge loss for this franchise. I love Doc's knowledge of the game and his sense of history.

I will surely miss hearing "the puck is controlled by the big defensemen from Nova Scotia" every time Colin White touches the puck.

I almost can't imagine the Devils without Doc. The only thing I don't like about going to the live games is that I miss Doc's commentary. (And I'm always happy when I'm at a game and see Steve in the booth with Chico, 'cuz it means I'm not missing anything by being there live.) I don't have a Devils jersey and I'm not a guy who'd voluntarily put another person's name on my shirt, but I've often said to my wife that if I were to buy a jersey and have a name put on it, the name would be Emrick.