Holik Quote...

redruM

295 Goals gave way to over confidence in the playoffs.

In 2000 we played scared, focused and clamped down on the opposition.

In 2001, the Devs just thought they were too good to lose and prolonged each series unneccessarily.

I still remember chilling the champagne and getting the victory cigars together before game six in the parking lot and just leaving pissed that the AVs/ROY wanted it more than our boys.

He's right. That was the most talented Devils team I ever saw. Even better than the '94 team that gave the Rangers a good run.

They essentially had two #1 lines that were lethal and the other two lines were very good.

All year, they just turned it on and off when they wanted. It was their talent that almost got them a repeat.

To me, they are a close second to the 93-94 Devils team, that was the best Devils team I've ever seen.

Even the great teams let some slip away, look at the Oilers against Calgary in 86, and nearly choking the Cup away to Philly in 87 after being up 3-1. The Islanders were nearly beat by the 75pt Pittsburgh Penguins in 82 and by the mediocre Rangers in 84.

The Devils were shooting against the best goalie in hockey history at the top of his game while there own goalie was letting in soft 50 ft slap shots to Adam Foote and Ray Bourque.

By the way, was that the most undramatic seven-game series you've ever seen? The 2000 finals, even though it went six games, had a lot more tension.

2000 finals was WAY better, if you disgard Belfruit's Nyquil episode in Game 1. The rest of the games were pretty exciting and often extremely close, either way.

I think one big reason the 2001 finals were a downer is because the two teams basically took turns sucking :P . And that's another reason why I get pissed off over the fact we lost - the Avs were nothing hot that post-season either and just sucked ONE less game in the final to capture the Cup!!!!

The Devils were shooting against the best goalie in hockey history at the top of his game while there own goalie was letting in soft 50 ft slap shots to Adam Foote and Ray Bourque.

To be fair, if you're going to hammer on Marty for bad goals.... Waaaah almost cost his team the entire thing with his royal SCREW UP trying to handle the puck in game 4, no??? Roy allowed other questionable goals, too, sorry. We won Game 5 but then completely blew it AS AN ENTIRE TEAM in Game 6, nothing much you can do.

It also helped as we kept missing the net and shooting AT Waaah too :blink: I'll give the guy some credit, but we still often made it easy on him during those games we lost.

Agreed sundstrom. He should've been able to win it when his offense was a no-show. True, he didn't outplay Roy, or come close. But neither did the Devils at any point show that they were ready to be Cup champs.. they were given the opportunity by Roy, who took it away again by being solid.

The whole team didn't show up as a team. That's why they were dismantled, and why it was the right move. There's no excuse for that.

tweaking the lineup is fine, but dismantling them was the wrong move

it came down to Roy stealing the last 2 games of the series, I don't believe they didn't want it, otherwise they wouldn't have come back from 3-2 against Toronto and completely dominated the Pens. They were just playing against the best goalie in hockey.

the devils did draw first blood in game 6 but the gomez goal was taken away, then came the Foote goal from 50 ft out and that just deflated us.

You're right ^7^. That's why they lost 5-0 in Game 1. They wanted to win, but the Avs were just that good.

The reason they came back against the Leafs was ONLY because of Tie Domi's elbow to Niedermayer. Without that, there is no way that team shows that kind of heart to come back. If you remember, this is the same team that blew a 4-1 and 5-2 lead in Game 2 against the Leafs. They then beat a punchless Pittsburgh squad who had a pouting Jagr.

No heart, no ability to get it done when it counted.. no team, anymore.

The Devils lost the game right after the Domi, so it wasn't just the elbow. Toronto was a confident, determined team that year but NJ had more heart, they wanted it more.

that Pittsburgh team was anything but punchless, it had a great offense and the whole Mario story going for it, nobody wanted the Devils to win, but they did anyway and dominated

same story with Colorado, Bourque going for a Cup, rallying around Forsberg, nobody wanted the Devils to win. Normally, they would win in this situation, but Roy was too much to overcome.

Believe what you want, ^7^. A Pittsburgh team with a no name goalie, awful defense, and a pouting Jagr, plus a Lemieux that hadn't played hockey in what, 4 years, playing into the middle of May?

It was just the elbow. That gave them a reason to win. I know they lost the next game, probably because Toronto knew they were coming out with fire. The Devils wanted it more in the end, but you'll never convince me the Devils wanted it more in the first 4 games.

Whatever. We've had this debate before. But considering your unbreakable affinity for the past, it's not surprising that you also think this team was great: it had the talent to be great, but not the will, or the heart.

That whole finals series the devils got screwed over with penalties. The NHL just wanted it to be the Ray Bourque show. So they made the Devils out to be public enemy number 1, ESPN helped that by playing all of those sob stories bout him not winning the cup. As good as it was to see him get it....just not against the devils.