NFL Season Preview

CRASHER

Despite the talent, I don't like the Charger pick to make the Super Bowl. Stability and good coaching usually means a lot in the NFL, and the Chargers have gone through a lot of change and have made a questionable decision to not only fire Schottenheimer but hire Norv Turner, who has been a brilliant assistant but a failure as a head coach. You want to say he had bad teams, fine, but I think there's more to Norv's story than that.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are unquestionably loaded with talent on both sides of the ball but it would not shock me if Denver finished ahead of them. It would shock me if the Chiefs did, though. :)

Despite the talent, I don't like the Charger pick to make the Super Bowl. Stability and good coaching usually means a lot in the NFL, and the Chargers have gone through a lot of change and have made a questionable decision to not only fire Schottenheimer but hire Norv Turner, who has been a brilliant assistant but a failure as a head coach. You want to say he had bad teams, fine, but I think there's more to Norv's story than that.

I agree, Norv is a great OC, not so sure about HC

Yeah. I mean the Cowboys on paper are great. THey SHOULD win 11 games they could pull out 12.

The Niners could really go either way...at best I have them at 11-5, and at worst 8-8. They will definitely improve, they got infinitely better on defense, with Nate Clements (i know hes overrated, still a great corner) and Tully Banta-Cain, and even Michael Lewis is a good run support safety. Alex Smith should continue his ascent into being a top ten QB in the leauge, and with a few more weapons around him and a healthy Vernon Davis, they should be alright. If everything gels, they are a playoff team that could scare some people. But I think they are a year or two away from being a lock for postseason play. Mike Nolan has done an amazing job after inheriting a 2-14 club.

Also, in Madden 08', their secondary intercepts about 4 -5 passes per game. hahahah.

Michael Lewis got benched at the end of the season,he wasn't playing very goodly...As for Alex Smith, he won't be a Top 10 QB next season, maybe in 2-3seasons.

Their defense is still a question, Look at their D-line, Young is like 35?And their secondary is decent.Their linebackers though are a good one, But when you have Kwame Harris as a Starter O-liner, that O-line is weak.

So... 8-8 or 9-7 seems realistic.

Michael Lewis got benched at the end of the season,he wasn't playing very goodly...As for Alex Smith, he won't be a Top 10 QB next season, maybe in 2-3seasons.

Their defense is still a question, Look at their D-line, Young is like 35?And their secondary is decent.Their linebackers though are a good one, But when you have Kwame Harris as a Starter O-liner, that O-line is weak.

So... 8-8 or 9-7 seems realistic.

I think you have the eagles and the cowboys records reversed.

The coaching on the cowboys is horrid and the impact of letting the inmates run the asylum will haunt this team all year long up to and beyond another TO episode.

I am still not sold on Romo as well.

The eagles should come out on top IMO especially with McNabb who is the best QB in the division.

Edit: I also think Curtis will be the FA acquisition of the year.

Edited by devilsadvoc8

"The View From the Banner" AFC East Picks:

AFC East:

1. New England 11-5: More problems here then E$PN wants to admit because they won't. Richard Seymour is a monster loss (6 weeks), but this team will still find a way to win this division.

2. NY Jets 9-7: Tougher schedule this year will result in a similar season, 1 win less. Pennington will be the QB, for now.

3. Buffalo 6-10: Toughest schedule in the NFL, poor CB play, injuries mounting already, and a simmering QB controversy which is ready to burst will reinforce that the Bills are the new Arizona Cardinals of the AFC.

5. Miami 6-10: If this OL can improve, they might do better, and the future will get better for Miami, not just yet though.

Kwame isnt a starter anymore. Its 1st round BEAST Joe Staley.

Michael Lewis was a Pro Bowler two years ago and I said hes a good RUN SUPPORT safety. Youre right though he played terribly in coverage for the iggles so thats why they let him go. Hes still a really hard hitter, and hell be on Nate Clements side, so he wont have to help on coverage too often.

Alex, like I said, will continue his ascent to a top 10 QB...He wont be one this year, but I think he could surprise people a lot. Havin D Jackson and a healthy V. Davis is crucial.

Some of your stuff, I thought you were drunk while writing it. And some of it was actually very good. Pretty entertaining too.

The Giants behind the Skins? On what planet? I think people including Me-ki will be in for a surprise. This team will win 8 or 9 games and be in the mix despite all the injuries and Cough-lin. They have something to prove.

And Crasher, btw...don't rule out your Boys falling to Big Blue on Sunday Night football as Me-ki's jaw is left open after Eli has a big game cause that's what I see happening.

The Cowboys will be good but just not 12 win good. Romo is entering his first full year and defenses will be ready. So it will be test. I like the Boys' D. Pencil them in for 10-11 wins.

I like the Eagles on paper and they'll challenge Dallas for the division. It could go down to the wire.

I picked Carolina to come out of the NFC but it's a very risky pick for two reasons:

1.The QB situation remains unsettled- is Delhomme done and if so, is Carr good enough?

2.The RB situation- will it be good/healthy enough to make a consistent contribution?

We'll see.

I agree with your Charger selection out of the AFC. They have the most talent and should have something to prove.

I think Miami wins more games than you got. Their D is still very good and even with the garbage they have at QB, they'll grind out some games. I see 7 or 8 wins.

Esiason most overrated QB? Eh. I can't agree because he was pretty good and one of the better QBs in a good AFC. He wasn't Elway or Marino but he didn't have to be and got his team to two AFC title games and one Super Bowl. And they almost beat the 49ers if not for one of the most memorable drives by Montana.

Maybe Boomer wasn't as good with the Jets and that would be true but they also were poorly coached and never really surrounded him with the best personnel to make it work. Classic Jets.

Also, I like Vince Young but his completion pct I think was worse than Vick's last year. So he still has some work before we induct him.

I think you're selling the Bears a little low in the wins department. Yeah. We all realize Grossman can be brutal at times. But that D is dominant enough for them to win at least 11 games. Especially in that division.

Frank Gore overrated? Ha! The guy is legit. The injuries are a concern but it's not anything he hasn't dealt with before like at Miami. Just look how strong he cameback. He's definitely a top 5 back and with the 49ers getting some WR help for Smith, they should have a better offense and challenge for that division.

But it will be tight between them, Seattle and the Rams.

The Lions shouldn't even have a team anymore thanks to Mad Matt Millen. What a fruitcake. Btw...don't be dissing Air Kitna. ;)

I think you could see an improved NFC compared to last year too. Should be fun to watch. Good job with the record predicts even though my statsessed Chicago buddy says the totals don't match or it's something like 18 more total games. :lol:

That's just JPG being JPG.

Alright... let's take this one at a time:

-- the Giants... the only team in the NFC East who not only didn't get better... got WORSE...have a divided locker room as IS... and now you know the rest of the team has to LOVE the Giants waving Strahan's fines, and he'll be hurt within 6 weeks... most over 30 holdouts get hurt pretty fast, and even the front office has given the hint that this is the year to take a step back... and I don't question their heart... I KNOW it's not there....

I think Campbell is gonna surprise people this year... and I like their running backs, remember this come December!

I can't see it happening Monday... if it was in the Construction Lot in the Swamp... I could see it... Dallas has too much to prove and too much talent all over the place to trip early, and the more I think about it I should have said 11-5 in for Dallas, not 12-4... oh well :P (it's worth it to piss off all the people not on the BLUE Kool Aid :koolaid: )

I like the Eagles too.. but McNabb is NOT gonna finish the season again and no Garcia to bail them out this time.....

Carolina ?? Eh, they always seem to have it on paper, but it never seems to come together

and I picked the Saints out of the NFC for all my "bias"

I agree with your Charger selection out of the AFC. They have the most talent and should have something to prove.

The way I think of the Giants, is they had a kind of similar offseason to the Devils. Losing a player that people say is irreplacable

Giants - Devils

Tki - Gomez

Replacing picking up depth that they lacked last year.

LB Kawikia Mitchell, WR Steve Smith - Vish, Rachunek, Asham

Key player that was hurt most of the season coming back.

Toomer- Matvichuck

Replacing the key player using a different style.

Jacobs (abusolute tank)- Zubrus (big, tough, center that this team clearly lacked)

Continuing develupment of young player

Eli- Pairse, Zajac

While they are different sports this may seem to be a sterch, but there are some similarities.

Except Zubrus has proven himself to be an ok player in the league while Jacobs has not. He has not shown that he can handle a #1 back role in terms of blitz pick up and pass receiving. He has to catch the ball now and he doesn't get to rest for 90% of the game.

I think that he will be a workout warrior with great stats like speed and size but when it comes down to it, he'll be another mike mamula.

Exactly. Jacobs will get that opportunity this year and if he struggles, there's Droughns who has a couple of 1,000 yd seasons to his credit with Cleveland. I don't see that as being bad.

Eli will have his best year and torment Crasher. The Giants do have flaws like you said but there's plenty of talent on this team. Getting rid of that self-serving cancer Me-ki will be good for team chemistry. Something you're underestimating.

Keep thinking the Cowboys will have the best record in the NFC with Wade Phillips as coach. He's better as a coordinator. You'll find that out soon enough.

The Giants are just a flat-out unlikeable team. Even with getting rid of Tiki they still have Strahan doing his best Roger Clemens impression only worse (oh I'll parachute in for the games, the hell with camp and what right do you clowns have to fine ME???), not to mention Shockey who talks as much as he gets hurt and Burress who's soft as heck. Coughlin's just a bad Parcells impersonator, he's got the bully routine down without any of the other stuff that actually made Bill a top coach. I don't think the Giants are very good particularly on defense though they'll score some points at least in the early going, their last few games are killer particularly weather-wise.

CRASHER's pro-Cowboy pick is motivated by only one thing. It's purely an anti-Tuna pick since he liked to blame Parcells for everything that went wrong :P