Devils keeping 2012 first rd pick - Official

ghdi

I found It

Oscar Dansk is the one the devils will draft believe me!

an article about him

http://thehockeywriters.com/oscar-dansk-the-next-ones-2012-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-dansk-ing-his-way-to-the-nhl/

This kid is the one big size with quick pad movement and composure in the net....

Remember this post and at the draft tell me i was right

Likely wrong.

They wont use a first round pick on a goaltender.

I also dont see them drafting a goaltender when we have two guys who each have a legitimate chance to be NHL tenders in Scott Wedgewood and Keith Kinkaid.

Fine just wait and you'll see, if we dont trade our pick we will draft him

If we trade, we're trading up.

I think if we took a goalie, it'd be Vasilevski. We're not taking one with Wedgewood, Kinkaid, and Clermont in the system already.

Likely wrong.

They wont use a first round pick on a goaltender.

I also dont see them drafting a goaltender when we have two guys who each have a legitimate chance to be NHL tenders in Scott Wedgewood and Keith Kinkaid.

Why do they have legitimate chances at becoming NHL starters? Kinkaid let in some of the softest goals possible in the AHL. Wedgewood is probably 6 foot even, for him to succeed he needs to be miles better then the bigger guys (he could be).

I think too many devils fans are still shell shocked from Ahonen, Damphousse and Frazee.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Why do they have legitimate chances at becoming NHL starters? Kinkaid let in some of the softest goals possible in the AHL. Wedgewood is probably 6 foot even, for him to succeed he needs to be miles better then the bigger guys (he could be).

I think too many devils fans are still shell shocked from Ahonen, Damphousse and Frazee.

Why wouldnt they? Nothing is guaranteed. Hell, Jonathan Quick wasnt very good when he played with Manchester. And Albany isn't a very good team. Neither deserves to be given up on yet.

Whether they are the answer is besides the point, I don't see us taking a goaltender because the book is still out on 3 guys. Clermont is still there as well, but I think he is the lesser of the three.

Devils are taking the best player available. Targeting specific players at your pick this early is when you do things like reach for Corrente or Adrian Foster and don't maximize your pick's value. Devils will score every prospect and see how things shake out on draft day.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Devils are taking the best player available. Targeting specific players at your pick this early is when you do things like reach for Corrente or Adrian Foster and don't maximize your pick's value. Devils will score every prospect and see how things shake out on draft day.

Which is why I believe they won't pass on a goaltender. These are talented goaltenders compared to 3rd liners or 2nd pair defensmen as their potential.

Who do you see us taking? It would be nice to grab a 2 way forward somehow. No more defenseman unless a real steal comes. Right wing needs to be addressed ASAP.

I wouldn't consider myself qualified to have a strong opinion/idea on who they would take there. Lou and Conte seem to surprise us from time to time so who knows. Jas0nMacIsaac is the resident prospect expert here and noted Subban and Vasilevsk in this thread. Back in May, he noted forwards Dane Fox and Colton Sissons as being rumored to being on the NJD draft watch, so those are some names to keep an eye out for.

Edited by thefiestygoat

I'm still shell-shocked going through the list of 1st round goalies. I'll list all of them since 1990 to 2006:

Trevor Kidd, Martin Brodeur, Jocelyn Thibault, Jamie Storr, Eric Fichaud, Evgeni Ryabchikov, Dan Cloutier, J.S. Gigeure, Marc Denis, Brian Boucher, Craig Hillier, Roberto Luongo, Mika Noronen, J.F. Damphousse, Patrick Desrochers, Mathieu Chouinard, Brian Finley, Maxime Oullett, Ari Ahonen, Rick Dipietro, Brent Krahn, Pascal Leclaire, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Adam Munro, Kari Lethonen, Cam Ward, Hannu Toivonen, M.A. Fleury, Al Montoya, Devan Dubnyk, Marek Schwarz, Cory Schneider, Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius, Semyon Varlamov, Leland Irving.

Okay, so you've got Brodeur, Luongo, Lethonen, Ward, Price. Gigeure had to go through 2 organizations and MANY years to become excellent. The rest is a mishmash of busts, backups, and backups/1As. Schneider just had a great year, but guess what? He's 26 and a UFA next summer! If he's great, it's still unlikely the Canucks get much of a discount.

Picking a goalie in the first round just doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Furthermore, if you pick a guy and he becomes great, you're not likely to get a discount, because it often takes so long for a goaltender to mature. For Vasilevski, he can always get more money in Russia, so that's a constant threat. For Malcolm Subban, his ELC would start 2 years from now. How much of a savings are you really getting there?

Edited by Triumph

I think Sissons is probably more a 2nd round candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if a goalie was the 1st pick, but I'm still expecting a winger in the 1st.

I'm still shell-shocked going through the list of 1st round goalies. I'll list all of them since 1990 to 2006:

Trevor Kidd, Martin Brodeur, Jocelyn Thibault, Jamie Storr, Eric Fichaud, Evgeni Ryabchikov, Dan Cloutier, J.S. Gigeure, Marc Denis, Brian Boucher, Craig Hillier, Roberto Luongo, Mika Noronen, J.F. Damphousse, Patrick Desrochers, Mathieu Chouinard, Brian Finley, Maxime Oullett, Ari Ahonen, Rick Dipietro, Brent Krahn, Pascal Leclaire, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Adam Munro, Kari Lethonen, Cam Ward, Hannu Toivonen, M.A. Fleury, Al Montoya, Devan Dubnyk, Marek Schwarz, Cory Schneider, Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius, Semyon Varlamov, Leland Irving.

Okay, so you've got Brodeur, Luongo, Lethonen, Ward, Price. Gigeure had to go through 2 organizations and MANY years to become excellent. The rest is a mishmash of busts, backups, and backups/1As. Schneider just had a great year, but guess what? He's 26 and a UFA next summer! If he's great, it's still unlikely the Canucks get much of a discount.

Picking a goalie in the first round just doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Furthermore, if you pick a guy and he becomes great, you're not likely to get a discount, because it often takes so long for a goaltender to mature. For Vasilevski, he can always get more money in Russia, so that's a constant threat. For Malcolm Subban, his ELC would start 2 years from now. How much of a savings are you really getting there?

Players run at 30% or worse in late 1st round and in a weak draft year, it's worth the gamble. Having both Vasilevski and Wedgewood with an outside chance with Kinkaid makes me much more comfortable moving forward. Out of that list Schnieder, Rask and Varlamov are all starters in the NHL next year with an average sv% of probably close to .918. There is a good chance Dubnyk is a starter as well.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Players run at 30% or worse in late 1st round and in a weak draft year, it's worth the gamble. Having both Vasilevski and Wedgewood with an outside chance with Kinkaid makes me much more comfortable moving forward. Out of that list Schnieder, Rask and Varlamov are all starters in the NHL next year with an average sv% of probably close to .918. There is a good chance Dubnyk is a starter as well.

But I counted all 1st round goalies and I think the percentage comes out around 30%. For goalies drafted later I'm sure it is worse.

But I counted all 1st round goalies and I think the percentage comes out around 30%. For goalies drafted later I'm sure it is worse.

I'm not sure about you but I would take a 20% chance at a starting goaltender over a 30% chance at a 2nd/3rd liner. I would take even more extreme odds then that. Teams like Nashville don't seem to think it's a crapshoot so maybe NJ needs a head goaltender scout.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Im fine if they take Vasilevski, but Im guessing he's off the board unless we trade up.

I'm actually glad we kept this pick, at least the draft will be interesting, but having to play catch up now unlike last year where I paid attention 6 months prior.

I like that we're active at the draft normally in terms of trading and such, so looking forward to it now.

Itd be funny if we took Subban, hes a Ranger fan haha.

Edited by ghdi

This organization has very few forward prospects in the system. Believe it or not, goaltending is not our biggest need right now. Wedgewood played for the Canadian Junior team, which is impressive for his age group. I doubt they bring in another goalie in the first, unless somebody falls to them and he is the best available player on the board.

That being said, I can't begin to comprehend why Lou didn't give up this pick as part of the Kovy penalty. It makes no sense. This is generally considered a weak draft, where we are picking at the very end of the first round. The safe thing to do is give up this pick. What happens if we lose Zach, there is a lockout, and Marty retires? We could be looking at having a rebuild where we miss the playoffs the next few seasons and are forced to give up a top 15 pick between now and 2014. I just see no logical reason for keeping this pick, unless a deal is in the works. I hope that is the case, because this could end up backfiring on Lou, big time.

Watching Vasilevski in the WJC was a treat and he looks like the real deal. But like someone mentioned earlier, goalies are a crapshoot. You never know how they're gonna pan out. We also need prospects who are forwards. I mean, we have Wohlberg and Boucher,but neither are slam dunks. Why not get one if the chance presents itself?

Edited by SMantzas

Lehner would be interesting. Jason, are there any inclinations as to why Ottawa slowed him down got Bishop, and have Anderson?

Ottawa likes Lehner. He's a bit of a hot head and very confident in himself. But his personality or play had nothing to do with trading for Bishop. They were just really high on Ben and didn't have to give up too much. Bishop's a huge goalie who moves well and has good puck-handling skills. Could be the real deal.