Post Lockout Trades/Signings Thread

Triumph

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this exactly so I figured this would be the appropriate thread. O'Reilly and the Avs are still having trouble reaching a new deal. The rumor is that they are open to trading him for "a young forward and 2nd." Now the arrival of Loktionov is great and I think it could work out real well for the Devils but I think it is way too early to think about trading a player like Josefson just because of Loktionov's addition. However, O'Reilly is a real solid 2 way player and has a lot more of a scoring touch then Josefson.

Josefson C will turn 22 in March and is listed at 6'1 190. NHL: 75 GP 5-15-20 +11 12 PIM

O'Reilly C will turns 22 today and is listed at 6'0 200. NHL: 236 GP 39-68-107 -4 46 PIM Plus here are 2 articles that speak highly of O'Reilly:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1423&nocache=1357843649

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/2/4/3938826/why-the-maple-leafs-should-offer-sheet-ryan-oreilly

Would you be willing to trade a package based around Josefson and a 2nd for O'Reilly? I would but I'm not sure if that would be enough to get it done but the Devils have a lot defensive depth to help sweeten the deal if need be. I know this isn't likely but I find trade discussions are always fun.

Edited by thefiestygoat

no :mellow:

After the Zach Parise incident I'm skeptical about letting Merrill hit UFA status. We lost Zach for nothing and Merrill could potentially bring back a good return if packaged right. Would suck to keep losing all of these early picks for nothing but I am a somewhat paranoid person.

Can anyone name another case like Justin Schultz this year? Where a player drafted, refused to sign until he became UFA? Because I feel like it has happened pretty rarely and to see it happen again so soon would be unlikely imo.

Edited by Daniel

Can anyone name another case like Justin Schultz this year? Where a player drafted, refused to sign until he became UFA? Because I feel like it has happened pretty rarely and to see it happen again so soon would be unlikely imo.

Well it is a different situation because Merrill isn't refusing to sign. He's just playing out his college years. But what happens when he graduates and there's not a spot for him on the team yet and Lou wants him to play in Albany? He could just say f it and become a UFA.

Like I said I'm paranoid but I'm also one of the few who thought that when Zach signed the 1 year deal he was as good as gone.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil, on 07 Feb 2013 - 15:18, said:

After the Zach Parise incident I'm skeptical about letting Merrill hit UFA status. We lost Zach for nothing and Merrill could potentially bring back a good return if packaged right. Would suck to keep losing all of these early picks for nothing but I am a somewhat paranoid person.

Zach and Merrill have nothing to do with each other, though. They are at totally different parts of their careers.

Guys like Schultz who refuse to sign with a team usually want nothing to do with that team at all. Merrill has been in constant contact with the Devils, and has attended rookie camps and attended training camp. If Merrill had refused to show up for those functions and de-registered from school like Schultz did, then I'd see an issue.

On a side note, Red Berensen is and old school Lou type. He made Merrill EARN his way back onto the team after that stuff last year, and Merrill did. He could have demanded to go pro, or transferred to another school, but he did it the hard way and the Devils supported his decision. I don't think he's the type to just refuse to sign with a team that stood by him.

Zach and Merrill have nothing to do with each other, though. They are at totally different parts of their careers.

Guys like Schultz who refuse to sign with a team usually want nothing to do with that team at all. Merrill has been in constant contact with the Devils, and has attended rookie camps and attended training camp. If Merrill had refused to show up for those functions and de-registered from school like Schultz did, then I'd see an issue.

On a side note, Red Berensen is and old school Lou type. He made Merrill EARN his way back onto the team after that stuff last year, and Merrill did. He could have demanded to go pro, or transferred to another school, but he did it the hard way and the Devils supported his decision. I don't think he's the type to just refuse to sign with a team that stood by him.

You're probably right and I don't want to lose Merrill, but there's always gonna be that possibility in the back of my mind. I'm just happy Lou was able to sign Zajac before he hit UFA.

Jerzey Devil, on 07 Feb 2013 - 15:41, said:

You're probably right and I don't want to lose Merrill, but there's always gonna be that possibility in the back of my mind. I'm just happy Lou was able to sign Zajac before he hit UFA.

The other thing that helps is that rookies can't really hold out for money. Gm's are very limited in what money an entry level contract can include. For him to want to be UFA, it would be directly because he doesn't want to be a Devil, which is something that's never been suggested by him or the Devils.

PS... just read your sig. Classic!

The other thing that helps is that rookies can't really hold out for money. Gm's are very limited in what money an entry level contract can include. For him to want to be UFA, it would be directly because he doesn't want to be a Devil, which is something that's never been suggested by him or the Devils.

PS... just read your sig. Classic!

Merrill would probably not fetch the full bonus package that Schultz did, but he'd definitely get more bonus offers than he would from NJ.  Still, I doubt that it's worth spending the extra year in college to do that.  Most players within the last 10 years who've go to college and have a robust NHL future don't stay in school for all 4 years.

The trouble is that while I have no concerns about Merrill opting out of the Devils' organization, I do think an organization dealing for him when he's a year away from having that possibility would be wary.

I wasn't sure where to put this exactly so I figured this would be the appropriate thread. O'Reilly and the Avs are still having trouble reaching a new deal. The rumor is that they are open to trading him for "a young forward and 2nd." Now the arrival of Loktionov is great and I think it could work out real well for the Devils but I think it is way too early to think about trading a player like Josefson just because of Loktionov's addition. However, O'Reilly is a real solid 2 way player and has a lot more of a scoring touch then Josefson.

Josefson C will turn 22 in March and is listed at 6'1 190. NHL: 75 GP 5-15-20 +11 12 PIM

O'Reilly C will turns 22 today and is listed at 6'0 200. NHL: 236 GP 39-68-107 -4 46 PIM Plus here are 2 articles that speak highly of O'Reilly:

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1423&nocache=1357843649

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/2/4/3938826/why-the-maple-leafs-should-offer-sheet-ryan-oreilly

Would you be willing to trade a package based around Josefson and a 2nd for O'Reilly? I would but I'm not sure if that would be enough to get it done but the Devils have a lot defensive depth to help sweeten the deal if need be. I know this isn't likely but I find trade discussions are always fun.

And then Josefson would be united with his buddy Lando, too. If this were to happen, it would be bittersweet since I've really begun to like JJ, but ROR could be great for this team. It would just suck to see Josefson go.