Ryan O'Reilly Signs Offer Sheet by Flames

thefiestygoat

yeah thats fvcked, the compensation for a 5m average cap hit is 2first + 2nd + 3rd right?

@reporterchris

"Ryan O'Reilly has signed the #flames offer sheet. Compensation to #avs is a first- and third-round pick if they don't match."

Apparently the Avs have around $17M in cap space this year and $16M next year. They could very well match.

@reporterchris

"Ryan O'Reilly has signed the #flames offer sheet. Compensation to #avs is a first- and third-round pick if they don't match."

Apparently the Avs have around $17M in cap space this year and $16M next year. They could very well match.

if im the avs im taking the first and the 3rd and kiss goodbye O'reily. Calgary will likely finish very low and their 3rd pick could be a decent guy. Plus that guy didnt want to be there and was pissed cause Landeskog got the C instead of him so? why would you bring him in back?

@reporterchris

They could, but they might not want to given that Calgary's probably forking over a top ten pick plus a third for a guy that doesn't want to be there anyway.

Tough call for Colorado. Keep a young center for his peak years but at market price or go for the draft picks? They probably will match which makes the prolonged stalemate with O'Reilly a huge blunder in retrospect for them. They could have had O'Reilly at 4 years 16 million presumably if they didn't try and low ball him.

They could, but they might not want to given that Calgary's probably forking over a top ten pick plus a third for a guy that doesn't want to be there anyway.

That's a good point since that could give the Avs potentially 2 top 10 picks in this years draft. Plus if they were to match it to keep O'Reilly they wouldn't be able to trade him next year and he would have an expensive qualifying offer. I rate O'Reilly highly but in a strong draft like this, it could be the right move for the Avs. Plus the relationship seems really toxic from an outside point of view.

If the Avalanche don't match this, and basically take the 14th pick and a 3rd rounder for him, Sherman should be fired on the spot

O'Reilly's qualifying offer in two years is going to be $6.5 million and if there's enough bad blood given the negotiation I wouldn't be surprised if they let him go.

If I'm Colorado...  I take the safe route and bail.  ROR hasn't proven anything yet and they have a toxic relaionship.     Take that prime pick and the 3rd, and say good riddance.

Even if ROR comes out great...  you're replacing him with a top 10 pick and a 3rd rounder...  

just read that the Cannucks offered him an offer sheet too but he didnt pick them

I would think that signing bonus is a good kicker for him...  I wonder if Vancouver would offer that.

People saying they should take a pick that *might* be in the top 10: if that player is as good as O'Reilly they would have hit the jackpot. So keep the sure thing. There's "bad blood" with  negotiations all the time. How many times did Niedermayer hold out for example? Unless you're getting Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon, you keep ROR and deal w/ the bad blood that could be over once he gets his $ 

People saying they should take a pick that *might* be in the top 10: if that player is as good as O'Reilly they would have hit the jackpot. So keep the sure thing. There's "bad blood" with  negotiations all the time. How many times did Niedermayer hold out for example? Unless you're getting Jones/Drouin/MacKinnon, you keep ROR and deal w/ the bad blood that could be over once he gets his $ 

thats fair too, i guess we'll see