Ye Olde Goal Horn, CAA-style

Colorado Rockies 1976

I'll be the first to admit that, since the Devils moved to the Rock, one thing I really really REALLY missed from the CAA was the Devils' old goal horn. Not only was it the horn that punctuated so many great moments from all of the Devils' Stanley Cup runs, there wasn't another horn in the league that sounded anything like it...somehow, it just FELT so right, and FELT so Devils. It had a way of giving me chills and goosebumps after the Devils scored.

To hear it again today...it was an incredible moment. I know the new horn might be plenty loud, but somehow it's always felt a little off to me, and it simply doesn't hold a candle to the old one...I heard an extra burst of excitement when everyone realized it was indeed the old CAA horn blaring once again. We are halfway home, with R&R Part II being reinstated as the celebration song...I truly hope the Devils go all the way and bring back the CAA horn for good. It really was the best in the business.

What I don't get is that the rumors were the NJSEA didn't want to give us the rights to the goal horn :lol: So either we got a temporary waiver or those were just more internet falsehoods :P

If we can use it every game, we probably should...I mean it's a goal horn, what's the big deal about having to use a new one in a new building?

Edited by NJDevs4978

Bring it back next year.

I like the new horn, but that old horn..I got chills today

With you completely...almost couldn't believe what I was hearing. Almost everyone around me was incredibly and quite pleasantly surprised. I heard more than one emphatic "Hope they bring that back" near where I was sitting.

To be honest I don't remember the old horn enough to recall there being a difference.. Kinda sad, but I was one of those 2 game a season douches and I was younger so i don't remember a lot

Thought the horn sounded cool but I'm so used to the new one.. I wouldn't mind either horn

To be honest I don't remember the old horn enough to recall there being a difference.. Kinda sad, but I was one of those 2 game a season douches and I was younger so i don't remember a lot

Thought the horn sounded cool but I'm so used to the new one.. I wouldn't mind either horn

Not to derail the thread, but . . . What? :unsure:

I've only been to 3 this year...but I watch almost every game on TV. Work and having a 3.5-year-old make things a bit crazy.

The funny thing is, the CAA horn coincided with the Devils' becoming a perrenial contender...I remember the Devils' horn before that one, and it was a siren (they were common at the time), punctuated with a bunch of goofy-sounding explosions. I didn't love it or hate it...it was kind of "there" to me. When the one you heard today debuted (I think '93), I loved it instantly...just thought it sounded so cool. And my best Devils' home-ice memories are all accented by that horn blaring...I remember being so disappointed when the Devils had their Rock debut and scored their first goal in the new building and not hearing the classic horn...I was like, "WTF was THAT?!"

I too got chills and got all giddy. Memories! My roommate, who is not a hockey fan (or a sports fan at all really) was like, "why are you so happy about a horn?"

I like the new horn too, though. I feel like the old horn is much like the old uniforms. If it gives us chills, isn't it cool to have this one time a season? It's something to look forward to every season and makes the occasion more special.

I love the old horn but feel like we should continue using the current one because I love this one too.

I am very particular about goal horns (because I'm weird).

The only thing I don't like about the new one is how quick it is. I think a huge part of a game and arena's atmosphere in person or on TV is that popping crowd noise when the puck goes in the net. At the Rock, I feel like the person has their finger right over the horn at all times so it goes off as soon as the puck goes behind the line. That's why I didn't like when the Flyers changed theirs. The new one at the Wells Fargo Center is VERY loud so... so much that the building pretty much vibrates under your feet... but it really drowns out the crowd on TV.

Anyway, I was so excited to hear the old horn back and I wish they would make it permanent... I'm considering writing an e-mail about it. We bothered them enough about the goal song... maybe we could get them to consider this too!

The only thing I don't like about the new one is how quick it is. I think a huge part of a game and arena's atmosphere in person or on TV is that popping crowd noise when the puck goes in the net. At the Rock, I feel like the person has their finger right over the horn at all times so it goes off as soon as the puck goes behind the line. That's why I didn't like when the Flyers changed theirs. The new one at the Wells Fargo Center is VERY loud so... so much that the building pretty much vibrates under your feet... but it really drowns out the crowd on TV.

Anyway, I was so excited to hear the old horn back and I wish they would make it permanent... I'm considering writing an e-mail about it. We bothered them enough about the goal song... maybe we could get them to consider this too!

+1 about the quickness of the new horn and drowning the crowd out.

It was really cool hearing arsena and then the old goal horn. The opening retro video was also great. Retro night could've been really amazing if the team actually decided to show up.

+1 about the quickness of the new horn and drowning the crowd out.

It was really cool hearing arsena and then the old goal horn. The opening retro video was also great. Retro night could've been really amazing if the team actually decided to show up.

I didn't expect a win at all to be honest. The Devils have a knack of rolling over when a hot team comes to the building... plus the Pens can beat anyone right now. Looks like Crosby hasn't missed one game. His passes were just unbelievable.

The old goal horn really brings back a lot of great memories. This new one means nothing to me... we certainly haven't accomplished anything with it. The old one symbolizes the team's history and cup runs and I think it's definitely a part of the team and experience that's missing. Bring it back!

I too got chills and got all giddy. Memories! My roommate, who is not a hockey fan (or a sports fan at all really) was like, "why are you so happy about a horn?"

I like the new horn too, though. I feel like the old horn is much like the old uniforms. If it gives us chills, isn't it cool to have this one time a season? It's something to look forward to every season and makes the occasion more special.

I love the old horn but feel like we should continue using the current one because I love this one too.

I don't really compare the two (horn to uniforms). To me, one horn was distinct, special, and Devils. This new one is just there...unlike the old horn, it doesn't really sound much different than some other ones. I don't dislike it...it just doesn't have anywhere near the same impact on me that the old one did. That classic horn just makes the Devils scoring experience that much more complete for me...just like something was missing when the Devils stopped playing R&R Part II, something is still missing with this much more generic horn being used now.

Who would you address it to? I may do the same.

I'll use this thread as an opportunity to step on the soapbox once again, but let's make a deal. Bring back the old goal horn, once people stop the You Suck chant. Notice how we haven't gotten out of the first round since that nonsense started.

Rant over.

I'll use this thread as an opportunity to step on the soapbox once again, but let's make a deal. Bring back the old goal horn, once people stop the You Suck chant. Notice how we haven't gotten out of the first round since that nonsense started.

Rant over.

+1 billion.

I cringed when I heard it yesterday when we scored the 2nd goal and still down by 2. So much insecurity in our fanbase.

Edited by DevsMan84

Rant over.

So "you suck" chant = lack of success in the playoffs? M'kay.

Back to the point of this thread: I love the old goal horn, it's the sound of my childhood. I would love for them to bring it back, but I'm not going to hold my breath over it, either.

I don't really compare the two (horn to uniforms). To me, one horn was distinct, special, and Devils. This new one is just there...unlike the old horn, it doesn't really sound much different than some other ones. I don't dislike it...it just doesn't have anywhere near the same impact on me that the old one did. That classic horn just makes the Devils scoring experience that much more complete for me...just like something was missing when the Devils stopped playing R&R Part II, something is still missing with this much more generic horn being used now.

Fair enough. I guess I should rephrase what I said in that I like the new horn, but I would not be opposed to them bringing the old one back.

LOVE the old goal horn brings back so many memories. Definitely would enjoy to have it at the Rock, I think it is a hell lot better than the new one. I as well do not like the "You Suck" chant after we score (unless we are playing the rangers :lol:).